SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Matt Gunn, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:26 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,997 Posts
Discussion
6x12 Enclosed Man Cave -Toy Hauler

Here are some pictures of my 6x12 from Diamond Cargo. The deal I got on this trailer was one of the best you can find anywhere. Douglas, Ga. is the trailer capital of the US; for some odd reason, there are 3 or 4 factories churning out enclosed trailers there. At first I was a bit concerned because Diamond Cargo does not deal to the public. I went through an broker on ebay. But the ratings were great and the price of $1925 for a new trailer with 16" on center studs, 3/4 ply floor and 3/8 ply walls was too good to pass up.

I opted for a torsion axle with e-brakes, an rv-style side door, brace for an ac unit, and and extra 3" of interior height for a total of 6' 6" inside. My only complaint was that they attached the interior ply panels with a nail gun driven into the metal studs. No issues with them pulling out, but it was impossible for me to unscrew the panels to put insulation in there. Instead, I used reflective bubble wrp insulation and slid it in from the top gap.

The interior build-out took me a good couple of months working in the evenings and weekends. I mounted my roller drawer in the middle and built a work desk around it. Wired for shore power with everything goingthrough an Inteli-Power 4000 Mighty-Mini. It has four 120v breakers, 10 12v fused leads, and charges the deep cycle battery when hooked to shore power.

Im closing in on one year of having this trailer and I love it. Ive been contemplating a solar panel on the roof to keep the battery peaked when not in use, and a Polar Cub ac unit. Ive slept in it 3 times at various fly-ins with a blow up mattress and couldn't be happier.
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Matt Gunn; Jan 31, 2013 at 07:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:32 PM
USA, IN, Seymour
Joined Oct 2009
237 Posts
Looks to me like you did a wonderful job of planning. The workmanship looks wonderful as well. I sold a smaller trailer and this is waaayyyy beyond what I could do.. Larry
corsair167 is offline Find More Posts by corsair167
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:36 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,997 Posts
Thanks Larry. I appreciate the kind words. It was a lot of work but Im glad its the way I want it
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RMRC FPV Fest 2014 Wrap-up
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:05 PM
Left, NO your other left!
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Jun 2008
792 Posts
Wow. You do nice work.
Going solar is very cool. I'm running my pop up camper on solar power. Makes attending r/c events more enjoyable.
-Andrew
weathervane is offline Find More Posts by weathervane
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:44 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
Nice work. I got a tandem axle trailer that I want to work on. You have gone way beyond what I would have thought of. I can see why you have spent a year working on it.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:38 PM
United States, MN, Elk River
Joined Sep 2011
8 Posts
trailer

WEDR, I love it! I am looking right now for a new trailer for the summer and I like the way you built it ( I am going to save the pics and do the same). Is 12' long enough ? have you told your self you wish it was longer? I just want to be sure before I buy one. For the last 3 years I have crawling into the back of my 3/4 ton pick up and its getting old. I forgot is it the ramp or doors?
Jason
korky is offline Find More Posts by korky
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:56 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,997 Posts
well, its easy to say I wish it was a bigger trailer, but practicality plays a big part. I dont have a full size truck so I got the biggest trailer I could tow well with my suv. The size works... its actually 14x6 if you count the v-nose. So from the work bench back is 12 feet. I put a queen size matress in it and sleep at fly ins, and it holds all my planes. But would another 2 feet in length 1 foot in width be nice? Of course!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:24 PM
OHIO
Joined Aug 2009
1,621 Posts
WOW... Great job on the trailer!! Putting up pics like this helps everyone out
Thanks Billy D
BILLYDSRC is online now Find More Posts by BILLYDSRC
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:29 PM
United States, TN, Smyrna
Joined Sep 2011
286 Posts
Love the trailer, saved the pics for when the wife lets me get a trailer.
TGKconnectors is offline Find More Posts by TGKconnectors
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:32 PM
Chino
Joined Aug 2008
614 Posts
Awesome.
Think4WD is offline Find More Posts by Think4WD
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:32 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,668 Posts
Nice clean setup, bet you could get every penny you put in it back.
Where is the flat screen
scrape is offline Find More Posts by scrape
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:47 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,997 Posts
LOL. thanks.
The flat screen is actually in there now!
24" mounted in the center above the bench on a swivel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:52 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,668 Posts
SOLD!!!
Cool pic.
scrape is offline Find More Posts by scrape