SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by MassiveOverkill, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:10 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,363 Posts
Discussion
Making prop motor Guards for your micro quad

I'm sick of searching for this post so I decided to add it to blogify it:

If you've come to this post via MassiveRC Store please see the following follow up post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Could you educate me what such a Prop-Motor protection look like or how it functions?

The left is the H36, where the motor mount has a plastic cylinder rising out of the mount to limit the prop from impacting the motor.

The middle is the V202\V939 prop that has a cylinder built into and below the prop center that take up the slack between the prop bottom and motor casing

The last is the Mini Pets motor mount that also has a plastic cylinder rising out of the mount to limit the prop from impacting the motor.

Here you can see the difference between the protected motor on the left and the unprotected one on the right on the Hubsan. This picture also shows my effort to reduce vibration by putting hot glue on each side of the motor where it contacts the Hubsan motor mount:

UPDATE: Simply taking some old V202 props and cutting the prop guards off of them works better. They won't fly off the shaft like Capr Sun props guards will if the prop itself comes off.

You want to cut them off straight, but they'll still work if you're square\perpendicularly-challenged like myself:

With Mini Pet props on top:

Make your own prop\motor guards from a Capri Sun straw:

If you want to make a bunch of them with some consistency, just rig up your caliper:

In addition, you want to remove the bottom motor cup and make sure your motor wires are oriented so that they line up with the boom:

The reason for this is that the wire channel will cut into the wires on a crash if they're not properly oriented:

MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Last edited by MassiveOverkill; Mar 12, 2013 at 09:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:14 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
Thank you for the very nice How To, but unfortunately for us 'Down Under' we don't have Capris Sun straws
Would you mind whipping out those calipers again and measuring up the dimensions of the cylinder needed ( OD x Wall thickness x Height ) so we can find ourselves an equivalent plastic tube/straw to use?

Also, the tip on checking the motor wires should be heeded by anyone you has a v939. My original v939 had a motor die after weeks of heavy use/abuse. On removing the motor cap I found a wire severed due to this exact issue. I now check all my micro-quads before first use and realign the motors if necessary - it only takes a few minutes.
maca55 is offline Find More Posts by maca55
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:15 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,363 Posts
Hi Maca,

You can use ink pen tubes or WD-40 straws as well but any tube that will fit over the motor shaft will work. If it fits snugly on the shaft, it's even better as loose tubes can sometimes come off if the prop comes off in a crash.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 18, 2014, 05:55 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2014
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
I'm sick of searching for this post so I decided to add it to blogify it:

If you've come to this post via MassiveRC Store please see the following follow up post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=256

The left is the H36, where the motor mount has a plastic cylinder rising out of the mount to limit the prop from impacting the motor.

The middle is the V202\V939 prop that has a cylinder built into and below the prop center that take up the slack between the prop bottom and motor casing

The last is the Mini Pets motor mount that also has a plastic cylinder rising out of the mount to limit the prop from impacting the motor.

Here you can see the difference between the protected motor on the left and the unprotected one on the right on the Hubsan. This picture also shows my effort to reduce vibration by putting hot glue on each side of the motor where it contacts the Hubsan motor mount:

really nice i like most last one ..
Motor Guards

UPDATE: Simply taking some old V202 props and cutting the prop guards off of them works better. They won't fly off the shaft like Capr Sun props guards will if the prop itself comes off.

You want to cut them off straight, but they'll still work if you're square\perpendicularly-challenged like myself:

With Mini Pet props on top:

Make your own prop\motor guards from a Capri Sun straw:

If you want to make a bunch of them with some consistency, just rig up your caliper:

In addition, you want to remove the bottom motor cup and make sure your motor wires are oriented so that they line up with the boom:

The reason for this is that the wire channel will cut into the wires on a crash if they're not properly oriented:

really nice i like last one most

Motor Guards
sanikaclinton is offline Find More Posts by sanikaclinton
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)