SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:34 AM
Aircraft Nut
Melbourne Australia
Joined Apr 2008
35 Posts
Discussion
Canard motor glider

Here is a Canard motor glider I made from a HK Asw 28.
Do you think it will fly
xv609 is offline Find More Posts by xv609
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:37 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,760 Posts
Looks very cool, nice conversion.

It 'should' fly but the devil is always in the detail such as CG location, rigging angles, canard airfoil selection etc. One thing to bear in mind with canards is that the foreplane must operate at a higher coefficient of lift compared to the main wing. This means that the forplane should have a more cambered airfoil than the wing so it can produce this lift without stalling prematurely.

The mistake often made in conversions is that people take the horizontal stab. from a conventional plane (which is almost always a symmetrical/flat plate airfoil) and stick it up front. If the wing has a cambered (eg flat bottom) airfoil then problems can arrise because the symmetrical forplane cant produce a high enough coefficient of lift.
At the very least this means you have to set the canard at a very positive incidence compared to the wing to prevent the plane tucking nose down, worse the plane 'runs out of elevator' and cant be slowed up, but worse still, it can produce a fatal canard stall where the plane just dives in at high speed and no amount of up elevator will lift the nose

Good luck anyway....

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:06 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,896 Posts
That is one of the coolest looking planes ever!!! Video please. If it flies, I am going to get one and do that!
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:08 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,070 Posts
You could have posted your build here. These guys have a lot of knowledge of canards.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post23985759

I don't know a lot about canards, but as JetPlaneFlyer said, the devil is in the details.

I must say, it looks really great. You got a lot of work in it. To me, it looks like it will be a very fast flier for sure.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred

Let know how the flights go.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:23 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,739 Posts
He's right, looks great and I think it'll fly! Worth a try.

You'll have to be careful with the landings, I wish I had a penny for every time I've broken that front wing. Is the front part of the fuze truly stiff and rigid? You don't want it to be moving about in flight. Looking at the pictures, I guess it'll be carrying at least 25% of the weight.

Good luck, I'm signed up.

Nick
nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:36 PM
Aircraft Nut
Melbourne Australia
Joined Apr 2008
35 Posts
Canard

I did do a little research on canards. The for plane is custom made. It has a flat bottom section and is about 25 % of the wing. I used an online c.g. Calculator which put the c.g. about 60mm in front of the wing. The front part of the fuselage was the original tail.
I will definetly keep you posted . Got holidays in 1 week and hopefully good weather .
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:28 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
xv609, That is a beauty! I agree with all comments. To assure that the canard stalls before the main wing the AOA of the canard should be about 3 to 4 degrees greater than that of the wing.

Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:27 PM
fly 1 day, repair the next 3
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Dec 2012
161 Posts
Strange looking planes are cool. Flying strange looking planes are even cooler. Looking forward to a video
Myko is offline Find More Posts by Myko
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:39 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xv609 View Post
I did do a little research on canards. The for plane is custom made. It has a flat bottom section and is about 25 % of the wing. I used an online c.g. Calculator which put the c.g. about 60mm in front of the wing. ....
Sounds good!
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:53 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xv609 View Post
I did do a little research on canards. The for plane is custom made. It has a flat bottom section and is about 25 % of the wing. I used an online c.g. Calculator which put the c.g. about 60mm in front of the wing. The front part of the fuselage was the original tail.
I will definetly keep you posted . Got holidays in 1 week and hopefully good weather .
Sounds like you have your bases covered. Good luck!
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:35 AM
Lighting Up the Darkness
United States, GA, Loganville
Joined Jan 2013
23 Posts
xv609. WOW, outstanding job. Some of the nicest work I've seen anywhere. Got my PhD from Virginia Tech several years ago and was involved with some NASA sponsored research there. Your creation is quite similar to some of the prototypes the engineering department produced (though they were utilizing solar energy modules and alternative energy sources). I'm really looking forward to your flight!!!!
nightlightrepair is offline Find More Posts by nightlightrepair
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:17 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,070 Posts
I really like the design, I would hope that you would post a few more photos of it. How you did it is beyond me. It is very cool, I think all of us are waiting for your holiday to come so we can see some photos of it in the air and hopefully some video of it flying.

Very nice work.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:28 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,724 Posts
Hi XV609,
You really did a Nice job on your Canard motor glider !! Do you have any build photos you can post?
The HK Asw 28 is out of stock right now. I would like to give it a go and build one Any Drawings? Really cool!!!
What motor did you use?
Joe
Joe Pierson is offline Find More Posts by Joe Pierson
Last edited by Joe Pierson; Feb 02, 2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: added text
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:41 AM
Aircraft Nut
Melbourne Australia
Joined Apr 2008
35 Posts
Build

The kit I used is the ASW 28-18 2.53m AMS Scale Glider but I think the other ASW 28 kit is the same without the pilot. I cut the tail off at 80mm behind the wing trailing edge and cut the tail fin off that to make a tail boom about 290mm long. I put that on the nose of the fuselage an marked it's position then cut the nose off 10mm in front of the mark so there is some overlap for glue and a hole through the nose when the tail section is glued on. I roughened the surfaces that are in contact and used 24hr epoxy to glue the tail section to the nose as true as possible. The for plane has a 620mm span and is 95mm wide. It is solid balsa for nose weight and shape to a flat bottom Clack Y type section. The for plane is held at about 2 degrees incidence in a nose cone which plugs into what was the tail so it is removable because I'm sure it will get knocked off at some point. I used as much of the hardware in the kit as possible (Horns etc.) The main wing incidence is not changed. The only mod to the wing was servos for the rudders. Any 1000 to 1200 kv motor of 30 to 40 amp rating should work and I used a 10x5 HK folding prop and a 3000 mah 3s battery. All servos are cheap but good Minis.