HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:53 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,662 Posts
Considering all the costs involved in importing, clearing through our customs and ports with containers, GST, and the VERY small market we have here (less than 10% of the US market) Plus the fact we earn about twice what the average US citizen does, I think the prices are damn good.

Be thankful you can get the stuff like this, I cannot see us lasting the way we have, something has to give looking at the rest of the world and commerce in general.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:14 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Considering all the costs involved in importing, clearing through our customs and ports with containers, GST, and the VERY small market we have here (less than 10% of the US market) Plus the fact we earn about twice what the average US citizen does, I think the prices are damn good.

Be thankful you can get the stuff like this, I cannot see us lasting the way we have, something has to give looking at the rest of the world and commerce in general.
That's sort of my point, most of the prices are very very good, surprisingly so considering all the cost adding factors you listed, so why is there such a big exception for the Albatros? I'm not whining about prices in general, just this one in particular because it stands out from all the good deals we get. Please pass the special princess tissues.

I know how good we've got it atm - I started off buying RC stuff living in the US being paid in AUD when the AUD = 0.47c US and Aus standard of living was relatively a lot worse than now. At least I wasn't paying much freight.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:03 AM
Plays with Toys
Port Fairy, Australia
Joined Jun 2005
1,972 Posts
Lets just suggest for a moment that not all items are shipped sea freight and in containers so depending on how wholesale and retail margins are done from nett landed price for each case or best possible landed price (really unlikely) then you get a retail price.

For the uninitiated most importers buying in gods over $1k get slugged 5% import duty and 10% GST which adds nearly 19% for the bottom line. Top this off with minimum wages a LOT higher than the US. So currently personal importing because of the $ in small lots can be a bargain if the freight is reasonable.
tim_mellor is offline Find More Posts by tim_mellor