HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:33 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,227 Posts
Discussion
US vs Aus pricing Horizon models

Something's not making sense in pricing of Horizon products.

New Visionaire US 299 from Eflite vs AUD 330 at Modelflight and others. Not too hard to swallow a $30/10% price difference - GST alone and a bit higher freight on the smaller quantities brought in can explain that.

Edge 540QQ, USD170 fromEflite, AUD180 at MF, not bad

Hangar 9 Pawnee 40 USD300, AUD 349 at MF, includes freight

Eflite Splendor at AUD399 actually less than US pricing at USD419!

Eflite Albatros DVa 25e USD330 vs AUD440 for preorders at MF. 25% higher ??

I was starting to think we weren't getting too bad a deal, what with not to dissimilar pricing on Eflite/parkzone stuff, and of course an HK warehouse for seriously cheap airframes, so I wonder why the Albatros is such an outlier. maybe the price will drop when stock finally arrives.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:26 AM
Flying, crashing, (re)building
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
165 Posts
Its interesting you mention this... back when I bought my Parkzone UM F4U I managed to buy it at a cheaper price from my LHS than the yanks were able to buy it for!

I go back to same store 9 months later to buy another PZ UM and now I am paying more than the yanks pay... go figure.
Elwood74 is offline Find More Posts by Elwood74
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:33 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,629 Posts
Are you comparing the Albatross BNF against RTF pricing? ie are they fully like for like?
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:56 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
Are you comparing the Albatross BNF against RTF pricing? ie are they fully like for like?
Yep, same part no EFL4065, ARF. checked them all, same part nos, same descriptions eg BNF basic
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:14 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,063 Posts
people need to remember it costs model flight less to ship from china to aust then it does for the states.
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:01 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyda00 View Post
people need to remember it costs model flight less to ship from china to aust then it does for the states.
But if the ARF is made in China or Vietnam anyway, do they get shipped to the US first then to the rest of the world, or distributed direct from the source?

My Eflite Pogo inside box had a Seagull models sticker on it - nothing wrong with that - Seagull make nice stuff and the Pogo is no exception. But it does suggest it was made and all packaged up in Vietnam
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:06 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,063 Posts
model flight is shipping straight from china thats why we sometimes have to wait for certian models as they have told me a few times they dont ship a half empty container and wait till its full

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
But if the ARF is made in China or Vietnam anyway, do they get shipped to the US first then to the rest of the world, or distributed direct from the source?

My Eflite Pogo inside box had a Seagull models sticker on it - nothing wrong with that - Seagull make nice stuff and the Pogo is no exception. But it does suggest it was made and all packaged up in Vietnam
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:49 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,291 Posts
But there is import duties on Model products in Australia, whereas there is no import duties in the US on Model products, so that eats some of the difference in shipping.

Order size can have a huge impact on cost per item, the manufacturer may charge $200 per unit for an order of 500, but only $175 for an order of 1000. So maybe they didn't order many Albatrosses.

You also have to remember MF doesn't pay the same price as E-Flite, since E-Flite will include there own profit margin on the products MF orders.

Currency fluctuation can have a massive impact on pricing since all purchases will be done in USD.

MF will also adjust their margins based on how many items they think they'll turn over. Obviously items with high turnover they can run the margins tighter, and items which may not be big sellers they will probably run bigger margins on.

My general rule is about 30%, if they are charging more than 30% over US pricing I'll look elsewhere.
luke352 is online now Find More Posts by luke352
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:33 PM
Suspended Account
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2011
510 Posts
I just buy directly from Horizon Hobby.
bwbkx125 is offline Find More Posts by bwbkx125
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:17 PM
CRASHING IS THE EASY PART
Australia, NSW, Oatley
Joined Sep 2011
730 Posts
prices are differnt i Believe due to import cost and also freight tax's thats why prices are differnent ..thats mostley the reason higher price landed into australia to pay for that extra tax's and stuff
MclF1 is offline Find More Posts by MclF1
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:00 AM
Joined Oct 2006
304 Posts
Model flight have a very good price on OS 95Ax at the moment $220 with free postage
http://www.modelflight.com.au/produc...11348-101.html
a lot cheaper than the States , I see Horizon don't stock OS motors , Tower hobbys wan't $280
mrgriz is offline Find More Posts by mrgriz
Last edited by mrgriz; Feb 01, 2013 at 01:28 AM. Reason: link
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:49 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,227 Posts
All good points about freight and duty and so on, but if that was driving it then surely they'd all be a lot more expensive than in the uS, but some are near as damn it the same price and some even cheaper.

I was just dismayed I guess that the Albatros is such an outlier in terms of price difference than all the others, and it's the one I want
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:25 PM
Loose Sox Special Spec
Australia, SA, Modbury North
Joined Feb 2012
1,439 Posts
Yeah the freight can make up heaps of the difference. The losi 5ive shipment got drop shipped from Asia. Most of their Eflite stuff comes from USA. Equating to higher freight costs. Freight is also calculated on cubic weight as well as physical weight. With the size if that bird I'd assume it'd be in a rather epic size box?
LooseSox is online now Find More Posts by LooseSox
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:53 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,420 Posts
I buy my Spektrum Rx and Castle Creation ESCs on EBay from the US at least $20 cheaper sometimes more including postage than MF. Though the AR400 from MF was only $6 more expensive than EBay so I brought it from MF.
Great_Goose is offline Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:03 AM
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,362 Posts
Bestnot to buy in thr two preceding months when bmw releases its new models.
Eagleburger is online now Find More Posts by Eagleburger