HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:41 AM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Feb 2012
11 Posts
Discussion
Explain Please!

Okay, so I guess I'm a little slow apparently. I don't understand how to charge lipo's. To make it simple.

I have 2200 mah 3s 30c lipo batteries for my T28 trojan.. Apparently I've been charging them wrong? At what amp should I be charging these at? EFLB22003S30 It says on them 3C charge rate, whatever that may mean.. Why can't they just simply put the amp rate on the battery? Any help would be GREAT thanks!!
JQuite is offline Find More Posts by JQuite
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:04 AM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
2200 mAh @ 1C = 2.2 amp charge. So, 2200mAh @ 3C = 6.6 amp charge
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:31 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,542 Posts
As still4given has said.

3C charge rate will theoretically charge an empty pack in 20 minutes, but it's better for the pack if you can use a lower rate and take longer. Until recently 1C (= 2.2A for your packs) used to be the charge rate for most packs, and is still recommended if you can afford the time, or if your charger can't supply the amps needed for higher rate balance-charging.

Ooops, I've just checked your packs on the internet http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...FLB22003S30#t2 and it says quite clearly (see the Specs tab) that maximum charge rate is 2.2A, which is 1C. So, where did you see the reference to 3C charge rate?
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:46 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,627 Posts
Most LiPo’s list the charge rate on the label. Perhaps the newer ones have been upgraded. Most LiPo’s these days can be charged faster than 1C.
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:14 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQuite View Post
Okay, so I guess I'm a little slow apparently. I don't understand how to charge lipo's. To make it simple.

I have 2200 mah 3s 30c lipo batteries for my T28 trojan.. Apparently I've been charging them wrong? At what amp should I be charging these at? EFLB22003S30 It says on them 3C charge rate, whatever that may mean.. Why can't they just simply put the amp rate on the battery? Any help would be GREAT thanks!!
New to LiPo's. Here is some good reading.
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:58 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
As still4given has said.

3C charge rate will theoretically charge an empty pack in 20 minutes, but it's better for the pack if you can use a lower rate and take longer. Until recently 1C (= 2.2A for your packs) used to be the charge rate for most packs, and is still recommended if you can afford the time, or if your charger can't supply the amps needed for higher rate balance-charging.

Ooops, I've just checked your packs on the internet http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...FLB22003S30#t2 and it says quite clearly (see the Specs tab) that maximum charge rate is 2.2A, which is 1C. So, where did you see the reference to 3C charge rate?
Stop giving incorrect information. It will not harm the battery to charge at 3C if it is rated for it, please provide proof it will. Also he never said he's using the Horizon Hobby battery so why are you quoting the specs from it?
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:02 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
You cant say that charging at 1 C wont help your battery last longer. Why be in such a hurry? Just buy 4-5 batteries and you wont have to charge as often. My 6 S 65-125 batterys cost over $100.00 each I want them to last.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:28 AM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Stop giving incorrect information. It will not harm the battery to charge at 3C if it is rated for it, please provide proof it will. Also he never said he's using the Horizon Hobby battery so why are you quoting the specs from it?
He gave the correct catalog number for E-flite packs sold by Horizon Hobby.. but I agree that specs say max. charge rate is 2.2A/1C.. he said that it says on the pack 3C, but I can't find an image which shows that. [EFLB22003S30 It says on them 3C charge rate]
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:36 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi View Post
He gave the correct catalog number for E-flite packs sold by Horizon Hobby.. but I agree that specs say max. charge rate is 2.2A/1C.. he said that it says on the pack 3C, but I can't find an image which shows that. [EFLB22003S30 It says on them 3C charge rate]
My apologizes, I'm a little blind today I guess. Would not surprise me if they are finally marking them 3C. I'm sure they have been able to take it for years. They finally realized they are loosing sales due to the conservative marking.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:08 PM
Joined Jul 2004
11,542 Posts
My TP Prolite packs are worse -- they say 1C on the front, then 5C in the small print on the back, and on their web site

I didn't say it would harm the battery to charge at 3C if that's what the manufacturer rates them for. But I said, and still believe, it's better for the pack to use a reduced rate if you have the time
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:30 AM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Feb 2012
11 Posts
It says on the battery pack itself "3C Maximum Charge Rate" I'll post a picture later.. And yes I am using the E flite Horizon Hobby battery EFLB22003S30...
JQuite is offline Find More Posts by JQuite
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:18 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,542 Posts
OK, to answer your original question, you can charge them at any rate up to 3C, which for a 2200mAh battery equates to 6.6 amps, provided your charger is a good balance charger and can put out that many amps.

It's my belief that 1C (2.2 amps for 2200mAh) is kinder to the battery, even though it can take 3C
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:03 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
OK, to answer your original question, you can charge them at any rate up to 3C, which for a 2200mAh battery equates to 6.6 amps, provided your charger is a good balance charger and can put out that many amps.

It's my belief that 1C (2.2 amps for 2200mAh) is kinder to the battery, even though it can take 3C
Not trying to start a bun fight with a close neighbour but can it then be assumed a continuous discharge at the max charge rate is acceptable ?

Cheers Jim
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:49 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,542 Posts
I suppose your point is we don't usually believe the quoted discharge ratings -- or at least, if we do, we don't usually continually run at them -- so why should we believe the quoted charge rate?

Personally, I don't. Which is why I keep saying that 1C charge is kinder to the battery I also don't discharge at more than about 12C in any of my models -- even edf -- even though all of my batteries are rated for 25C and over.

But there is certainly enough anecdotal evidence on this forum that cells rated for xC can be charged safely at xC provided a good quality balance charger is used. In fact, I think many manufacturers make that qualification about the charger when they quote charge rates higher than 1C.

Maybe manufacturers are more careful when specifying charge rates because of the potential consequences if the battery vents and flames during charge. If the battery can't live up to its discharge C rating, often it simply means that it won't deliver the amps, so you don't get maximum power. If it does vent and flame due to going over its discharge C rating, at the worst you usually only lose a model, not a house or car.

Disclaimer: Before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm only saying what I do and believe. I'm not recommending that everyone must keep to 1C charge and 12C discharge if their batteries are capable of more
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:35 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
I have been charging LiPolys at 3C and greater for over six years and many have over 300 flights on them. Afew had over 500 flights on them before I remioved them from service..

IMO it is much simplier and less expensive to purchase a few good quality LiPolys and charge them at 3C or more than to need to have a dozen or so and only charge at 1C.

It has been proven time and time again that many things do to LiPolys by thier use's are more damanging than charging a greater than 1C.

1C charging was the standard back when the max. dischage rating was 6C ,LiPolys had no balancng leads or connectors, there were no balancing chargers.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...61&postcount=1

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer