HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:06 PM
United States, CA, La Mesa
Joined Dec 2012
163 Posts
Discussion
Accucell 6 input volt err

Hello I'm getting an input voltage error message on my accucell 6 charger when I'm trying to charge my 5000mAh 3s sky lipo. My power supply gives off 13.7-13.8 volts, so is this not enough? What power supply should I use to charge my battery?

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks
miniquad22 is offline Find More Posts by miniquad22
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:34 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Voltage is fine. How many amps does the power supply give?
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:08 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,325 Posts
5A x 12.6v (3S) = 63W
AC-6 is only good for 50W. Try a lower charge rate, like 4A. You are likely maxed out assuming you PS is good for AT LEAST 5A.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:51 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniquad22 View Post
Hello I'm getting an input voltage error message on my accucell 6 charger when I'm trying to charge my 5000mAh 3s sky lipo. My power supply gives off 13.7-13.8 volts, so is this not enough? What power supply should I use to charge my battery?

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks
Your particular 12 volt power supply does not have adequate current capacity. Also the charger will not get to 5 amps. More like 4.2.
Obtain a higher capacity power supply or or reduce the charge rate.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Last edited by Rich in ILM; Jan 31, 2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:37 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
12 volt power supply does not have adequate current capacity. Also the charger will not get to 5 amps. More like 4.2.
I use a 12v supply with my Accucell 6 all the time and have no problems. Volts have nothing to do with amps in the way you are stating. They are two completely different things. Volts x Amps = Watts. That's all there is to it.

Yes it will only get to about 4A charging a 3S but getting a higher capacity power supply will not change that. It's a 50W charger, the charger is the limit not the power supply as you say. 50W max / 12.6V (fully charged 3s) = 3.96A charge rate limit.

Suggest reading this page for more info:
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...w-tos/shopping
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Last edited by grimbeaver; Jan 31, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:35 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
I use a 12v supply with my Accucell 6 all the time and have no problems. Volts have nothing to do with amps in the way you are stating. They are two completely different things. Volts x Amps = Watts. That's all there is to it.

Yes it will only get to about 4A charging a 3S but getting a higher capacity power supply will not change that. It's a 50W charger, the charger is the limit not the power supply as you say. 50W max / 12.6V (fully charged 3s) = 3.96A charge rate limit.

Suggest reading this page for more info:
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...w-tos/shopping
I had a typo at the front of my reply. I have corrected it.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:43 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,584 Posts
Quote:
Your particular 12 volt power supply does not have adequate current capacity. Also the charger will not get to 5 amps. More like 4.2.
Makes no odds .. the ccucel is same as my B6 internally ... you can set it to as many amps as you like but it will only run up to the 50W max ... and contrary to popular posts - it means 50W total ... so actual output is reduced by losses / heat etc. and you really get less than 50W via your charge leads.

The OP is getting Voltage Input Err ... so something is not connected right.

Page 32 of the ACC 6 manual says that INPUT VOLTAGE ERR = input voltage is below limit set.

Therefore power supply is not meeting required level. This could be due to poor connection ... bad plug ... creating high resistance ... or an insufficient rated power adaptor. Power adaptors quote volts / mA but in fact are rated at VmA ... that is basically Watts. So it may say 12v ... but if it's a low mA adaptor - it will struggle to supply.
Second - you need a very smooooooth power supply to the charger. I have lots of 12V / 5A adaptors at home from various such as high power rechargeable flashlights etc. None of them will work with my B6 (same machine as Acc 6) ... they are too rough a supply. I need to have a smooth REGULATED PC power adaptor ...

Nigel

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Last edited by solentlife; Feb 01, 2013 at 02:01 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:04 AM
Noob making progress
Australia, NSW, Mt Colah
Joined Oct 2012
329 Posts
I had a similar problem trying to use an auto PB charger. In this case, the unloaded input was too HIGH, ~ 18v. As you can't get lipo load on before the input error cuts out, no go.

Solved by killing 2 birds with one stone.

Connect car charger to my field battery, (60Ah car battery).

Then clip the field tap to the battery and A6. Charge lipos @ 5A while topping up field battery for the day.

Alastair
AlastairL is offline Find More Posts by AlastairL
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:23 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,584 Posts
The B6 is rated to take 18V .... seriously.

Quote from my manual :

Specifications
Operating voltage range: DC11.0~18.0 Volt

As to using a Pb charger ... a Car accumulator charger - I doubt it would work anyway - it's too 'dirty' a charge ... it actually relies a certain extent on it NOT being a smooth steady charge load to keep jolting the car battery ...
Its one of the reasons you cannot power much with one other than charge a car battery ! Even the clever auto-detect ones are not clean.

The only way is a regulated smoothed power adaptor ... or Computer power box.

Nigel
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:45 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,106 Posts
[QUOTE=solentlife;23999087]. The B6 is rated to take 18V .... seriously.

Quote from my manual :

Specifications
Operating voltage range: DC11.0~18.0 Volt

As to using a Pb charger ... a Car accumulator charger - I doubt it would work anyway - it's too 'dirty' a charge ... it actually relies a certain extent on it NOT being a smooth steady charge load to keep jolting the car battery ...
Its one of the reasons you cannot power much with one other than charge a car battery ! Even the clever auto-detect ones are not clean.

The only way is a regulated smoothed power adaptor ... or Computer power box[QUOTE=solentlife;23999087].

Connectiing a car battery charger to a 60ah car battery works quite well. The supplied voltage, is then, quite smooth and stable.
Last edited by Rich in ILM; Feb 01, 2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:03 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,584 Posts
Quote:

Connectiing a car battery charger to a 60ah car battery works quite well. The supplied voltage, is then, quite smooth and stable.
Absolutely ... in fact you could do it with a lesser battery as long as Charger is not too much for it. My point was that a car charger is a dirty form of charge ... and is why it doesn't work by itself.

Thje same applies to many of the cheap 600W or similar generators with 12V as well as mains output. The 12v supply is crude and often not smooth enough for many items. So for our purposes if it won't power a LiPo charger ---- add a battery to smooth it out.

Just for info ... if you find your cheapo generator will not run your fancy auto-detect Car charger ... - try an older non auto-detect car charger ... they usually don't care about dirty mains input. I have an old 4A plain charger ... that works of any 220 - 240V mains supply no matter how 'rough'. But my auto detect won't even start charging from my 600W genny ...

Nigel
Last edited by solentlife; Feb 01, 2013 at 10:14 AM.