SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:02 PM
IFlyPlanes
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
Question
How to fix a ripped off Rudder?

I have a hobbyzone cub and the rudder ripped off. How can I put it back on? I have special super glue for foam but it rips off all the time. Would getting some fishing line and threading it through the top and bottom of the rudder then attaching it to the wing work? Thanks
IFlyPlanez is offline Find More Posts by IFlyPlanez
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:07 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
http://www.3m.com/product/informatio...ical-Tape.html
Available at many RC hobby stores.
Ranandar is offline Find More Posts by Ranandar
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:12 PM
ward cleaver's boy...
waco,texas
Joined May 2008
665 Posts
Was it the whole vertical stabilizer or just the movable part of the tail? If it was the whole thing, could you afford to just replace the entire unit? If it were just the movable rudder use some clear packing tape to make a new hinge to hold it on. Pictures would really help in determining exactly your situation .
the beave is offline Find More Posts by the beave
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:34 PM
IFlyPlanes
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the beave View Post
Was it the whole vertical stabilizer or just the movable part of the tail? If it was the whole thing, could you afford to just replace the entire unit? If it were just the movable rudder use some clear packing tape to make a new hinge to hold it on. Pictures would really help in determining exactly your situation .
Yes Its the moving part of the tail. It makes the plane turn right or left. I think Il just do that then I will try some tape, hope that works. Thanks
IFlyPlanez is offline Find More Posts by IFlyPlanez
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:36 PM
Joined May 2012
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyPlanez View Post
I have a hobbyzone cub and the rudder ripped off. How can I put it back on? I have special super glue for foam but it rips off all the time. Would getting some fishing line and threading it through the top and bottom of the rudder then attaching it to the wing work? Thanks
Check out Killerplanes.com. They have one instructional you-tube video where Steve demonstrates how to use contact cement (in the tube) to bond the torn foam edges together. This creates a flexible hinge that is a lot stronger than the original and takes all of about 5 minutes. I hadn't learned about this method when I had to replace a torn elevator, and I ended up using pivot hinges which can be used on a rudder if they're the really small size. I'd definately go with the contact cement method if I have to do it again (which I'm sure I will).

Tom
black6088 is offline Find More Posts by black6088
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:44 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,580 Posts
If you have an old floppy disc, you can open it up and get the disc.
Cut some hinges, slit the edges and slide the hinge in, use foam
safe CA to hold them
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:17 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,429 Posts
Why bother with glue?

A strip of clear tape along the hinge line on each side will hold pretty much any hinge you've got. It doesn't need to be any specific variety; Blenderm is one of the best types but in all honesty it's not that big of a deal. Scotch tape works just fine. Takes all of about three seconds and I'd wager it's stronger and more flexible than glue anyway.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:41 AM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Yep, any good tape will do. I also like the Beacon Foam-Tac on foamies. It dries very flexible and will make a hinge.
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:18 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,441 Posts
I'm just nosy , how did you manage to rip the rudder off ?
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:35 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,963 Posts
I had this happen to one of my Tower Hobbies F4UCorsairs. I bought some CA hinges at my LHS and fixed my rudder in less than 10 minutes. Very easy and way stronger than hinge tape.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:50 AM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
I'm just nosy , how did you manage to rip the rudder off ?
Foam hinges do come apart for no reason. Heck, the new PKZ F4U has flap hinges that seem to fall off out of the box from what I have read.
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx