HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:49 PM
United States, IL, St Charles
Joined Jan 2013
671 Posts
Discussion
Help needed for first cp!

Hey everybody,
I'm really struggling with my first 6ch cp decision as of right now imI'm really leaning towards walkera master cp, genius cpv2 or v120d02s. And want to get the devo8s instead of 7.id appreciate any comments or suggestions about which direction to go.
Bnh105 is offline Find More Posts by Bnh105
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:37 AM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Bad thing about a question like that here is you're gonna get so many different opinions, it'll make you even MORE confused! You should get what you feel you can handle, as well as afford, as you WILL crash, and you WILL repair. If you're NOT prepared to do that, you should take up needlepoint. Seriously.
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:57 AM
Joined Jan 2013
671 Posts
Well i have been using realflight on the simple, never flown any of the 3 I've listed so can't say if I could handle them or not lol. That's why I need some input if you have flown anything comparable?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:08 PM
AMA 994002
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Right now I have a Blade Nano CPX really a 5 channel, but it IS collective pitch, and compared to comfortably flying 4 channel helis, it's a TON more of your attention. Where you more or less needed pretty big throws on the sticks to get a 4 ch. to do anything (in my experience) a collective pitch of ANY kind is not the same. I'd say start with some sort of micro C.P., and see how you do with one of those, and go from there...
and micros are a little harder to control, so if you can get good with that, then the bigger whatever-you-get will be a lot easier on you AND your wallet. And keep at it with the sim, although don't think your real rig is gonna fly like it does in the sim because it won't.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:19 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,396 Posts
You may have to buy the TX separately if you want a Devo8s. Of those three, the SuperCP would be the logical choice. You need something with low mass and kinetic energy to survive crashes better. And the only significant difference the MiniCP has is telemetry. Even tho SuperCP servos are unconventional, you'll be getting both minicp and supercp replacement servos from walkera anyway.

From my experience with various simulators, none of them will actually teach you how to start flying a 6ch heli. Hovering takes a lot of concentration and more control inputs than simulator helis which practically hover themselves. You learn how to hover on a real heli, and once you're able to go into forward flight, only then would a simulator become useful.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:36 PM
AMA 994002
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
The RTF Walkera Devention series come with those "Devo" radios. I have the V450D01 on the way now comes with the Devo7, and it'll do planes as well as helis with 15 model memory, seems like a pretty nice rig, guess I'll find out when it gets here...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:56 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,396 Posts
Devo7's only good for helis. The TX does support planes, and it uses five channels (one on each wing) so you can assign the knob to flaps if you wanted which i hear is important when landing a plane. However, at 80 meters, the range is only good for helicopters, if you were to fly an airplane on this thing, you may very well lose it, so at the very least, setup its safety for a shallow turn so it can circle back to you on signal loss.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:06 PM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnh105 View Post
Hey everybody,
I'm really struggling with my first 6ch cp decision as of right now imI'm really leaning towards walkera master cp, genius cpv2 or v120d02s. And want to get the devo8s instead of 7.id appreciate any comments or suggestions about which direction to go.
Do you plan to do anything beyond helicopters? Planes? quads? If so, then you should be aware that walkera receivers are very expensive, which makes each subsequent model cost more to put a receiver in it. If you plan to have a hanger full of planes and helis, all using the same radio, then I would suggest looking at a comparable dsm2 system (like a blade heli with a dx6i). The Devo radios will support DSM2 with firmware upgrades, but that's a conversation for some other time.

If we assume you want to stick with walkera, then get the 8s radio. It's much better than the devo 7 in every way, and most people agree it's worth the extra cost.

For the heli's, I'd suggest the smaller heli, the Genius (or a Mini cp, or a Super CP). The smaller heli will take a crash much better, but will still teach you to fly a collective pitch heli.

Between the 3 walkera micros, the Genius, the Mini CP, and the super CP, it's mostly a toss up, but i'd say get the Mini (depending on the price of course). The Mini CP is probably the best of the bunch, as it supports telemetry and has a stronger motor, but telemetry is useless for this size of heli anyways, and that big motor drains a battery in about 2 minutes. The Genius CP has the landing skids integrated with the frame, so you'll be replacing frames more often, which sucks. The super CP seems to be the "cheapest" of the bunch...it has the genius CP motor (weaker), no telemetry, and cheaper servos that still cost about $10 each to replace, and you can't use generic servos ($4 ea), like you can with the genius or the mini CP (the generic servos are NOT a drop in replacement, but can be done with some soldering).
Chubbs is offline Find More Posts by Chubbs
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:11 PM
Joined Jan 2013
671 Posts
Chubbs,
Great info. I am going to be expanding my hangar to airplanes and give a shot with that too. All my helis will most likely be walkera. So prob sticking with the devo 8s I can use for walkera heli Obvisioly. But would it work with a rc plane like say the dynam p51?i know I would have to put a devo receiver in the p51,but I think k it should work ok?
And no one is telling me to go with the master cp?, that's my top runner lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:18 PM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
Joined Jun 2012
686 Posts
Any of the Devo series transmitters will work fine with a plane (except for the 7e, which has a very limited range). You'll just need a receiver for it, something like this

http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/Transmit...duct_info.html

As you can see, it's $30. A similar DSM2 receiver can be had for $6. So if you only have one or 2 airplanes, A Devo 8S will work great. If you end up addicted and have a hanger full, the cost can add up VERY quick, so just be careful.

As I alluded to before, the devo series can actually be modified to use cheaper receivers if you get that far...so you could technically have the best of both worlds if you're interested in that. See http://www.deviationtx.com/ and start reading if you want to go that route.

I have never flown a Master CP, it might be a great helicopter for you. In general though, larger helicopters break more when they crash. A Mini CP/Super CP/genius CP sized micro heli will crash and incur no damage 90% of the time. You just pick it up and fly it again. A larger, 250 sized heli (like the master CP), will typically break something. Tail booms, rotor blades, landing skids...anything could ground you while you're waiting for parts. Larger helis are more stable and easy to see though...so you will likely crash less.

There is no perfect heli, otherwise we would all have the same one. Get whichever you like best and start flying. If that happens to be the Master CP, go for it, you'll probably love it. Just be prepared to buy a few extra spare parts if necessary.

One thing I forgot in favor of the smaller helis...a micro heli can be flown in your living room. That means more practice when it's raining/windy/cold. A master CP will be outdoors only, unless you live in a gym.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:08 PM
Joined Jan 2013
671 Posts
Some more great info. When I do get a plane ill get that one for sure. Was that a 6ch or 7ch,i couldn't see. Yeah i agree micro helis are great indoors when you its cold. But I gotta go with the master cp,! And of course I'm sure I will get a micro walkera soon after. This hobby is becoming addicting lol. And i think I'm going with devo 8s. Do you know anywhere I could see any good info on proper setup and how to use it?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:03 PM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
Joined Jun 2012
686 Posts
That particular reciever was 6ch, but I think you can get just about as many channels as you want. Here's a 12 ch, though the Devo 8S can't use them all.
http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/Transmit...duct_info.html

As for proper setup, I actually found that the instructions that came with my Devo 7E were fairly useful. It had the normal Chinese-English translation oddities, but overall was much better than most Chinese manuals. You can probably get the manual off Walkera's website if you don't feel like waiting.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:08 PM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
Joined Jun 2012
686 Posts
By the way, ehirobo.com has a pretty darn good sale on the 6S right now. I know you hadn't mentioned that one yet, but I think it would be my pick if I were to buy one.

It's a smaller form factor than the 8s. That's a personal preference really...I really like it though. More portable than the larger radios. If you're flying helis and parkflier airplanes, I seriously doubt you'd ever use the extra 2 channels. I know I've never used ch 7 or 8 on my radio.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:20 PM
Joined Jan 2013
671 Posts
So I was looking at the 6s on that site. Its pretty nice Actuslly. So is it do the same stuff as the 8s but just smaller? And wow 50-60 bucks shipping is alot on that site lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:38 AM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
Joined Jun 2012
686 Posts
I think they're very similar. Obviously the 8S has 2 extra channels...that may or may not be important to you. As I said, out of my dozen or so planes and 4 heli's I have never once used the 7th or 8th channel. If you get into FPV or large scale planes/helis, that might become an issue.

Otherwise, I think you get the same color touch screen and interface, which means they both have very similar capabilities. Definitely the biggest difference is the size. I bet some people would hate the small size because it seems like a "toy". I happen to love it. If my Devo 7E had a longer range, I would use it for all my stuff. Unfortunately, they put a much lower power transmitter in it, so it doesn't go far enough. The 6S doesn't have that problem.