Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by xplaneguy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:30 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,481 Posts
Cool
E-Flite Carbon-Z Scimitar

When I saw the E-Flite Carbon-Z Scimitar go from $319 to $129, I couldn't pass up the deal. What a fun plane! A little heavier than I expected but a great flyer regardless and man does it look cool! The maiden was painless but the rudders were very sensitive. Some expo solved that issue. I just order E-Flite retracts because this cool looking aircraft demands retracts. Stock power is great!

Here's a few photos!

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by xplaneguy; Jan 30, 2013 at 10:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:38 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,830 Posts
I've seen one of these things fly and it is truly awesome. Our club president sent it up for another member on its maiden flight. Unfortunately, it was bound to a simple DX4 and brother, if you want to talk about twitchy rudders, that was the poster child.

That price is incredible! Might have to break down and stuff another foamie in the hangar.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:32 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,521 Posts
forgive my ignorance... What would be the difference between the carbon-z and Stryker? Is there still a reason to get a Striker given the price drop? Would it handle the wind as good or better as the f-27Q... I was toying with the idea of getting a Stryker as a windy day flier but given this price drop you just made me aware of, i think this is the one to get...
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:43 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,481 Posts
If I had to choose right now, I'd go with the F-27Q! I've had mine for a year and half and love it. It's lighter than the Scimitar which makes for slower landings. Then again, I only have one flight on the Scimitar with fixed gear. The E-Flite retracts arrived tonight, it only took two days to receive them from Horizon. I may feel different after I log a few more flight on the Scimitar.

Both handle the wind great!

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:47 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,521 Posts
oh wow. Not the answer i was expecting! But then again i didn't realize you only had the maiden on it... Ok, I will watch this space for updates.... I am curious...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:22 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,481 Posts
Be advised that the Scimitar is being discontinued and $129 is the liquidation price. Get them while you still can.

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:27 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,521 Posts
So that what it is... I guess they were not popular... I assumed they will push it as a "next generation" replacement for the F-27Q...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:42 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,481 Posts
The Horizon website shows the price down to $119 but currently backordered. I'd be surprised to see them back in stock at that price. Several hobby shops listed them as a liquidation sale price.

Stay tuned.....

Regards,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:25 AM
United States, NJ, Freehold Township
Joined May 2009
360 Posts
The plane is a loser in every way.read the forums about it. I have one in the box I don't even want to deal with. Anyone want it.
crashkorey is offline Find More Posts by crashkorey
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:55 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,521 Posts
Lol, its that bad? Why? Sorry, I don't know too much about it. I just stumbled on the OP and saw the price and I told myself I always thought that plane looked sexy. I mean something that looks that good can't fly that bad right?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:23 AM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,481 Posts
I read the thread and it depends on the pilot's skills....not a plane for the novice! Again, with the exception of the rudders requiring expo or dialed down in low rate, my maiden was painless.

Here's a great idea.....Turbine Powered Scimitar:
My turbine Scimitar (5 min 49 sec)

If I can find another at $119, I'm all over it!

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:01 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
hi just bought one of these CANNOT BELIIEVE THE PRICE £129.95 plug and play includes motor esc all servos and takes about 10 minutes to put together only need a reciever and a 4s 3200 lipo cant wait to get it in the air check it out http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/catalog/...oducts_id=1312
haydntroy is offline Find More Posts by haydntroy
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:57 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,481 Posts
Yeah...it's a great deal! What's interesting is that it's cheaper than the F-27Q Stryker. I have 6 flights on my Scimitar and added E-Flite retracts.....it's AWESOME!

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member