HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:20 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,322 Posts
Discussion
FlySky 9X problem, too low range on 2 modules?

I have a Flysky 9X since last april , moded with er9X using smartie board.. and totally happy with it ... it became my main radio replacing my good old Futaba 7C 35mhz.

The problem is that since some days, it seems to have quite a limited range.. but the BIG mystery.. i have 2 diferent modules, the stock Flysky module, and an Orange DSM2 module..

Last friday i was maidening a scratch foamie i made from spare depron and parts that i had arround.. and since now i had the Orange DSM2 module (wich i got in order to bind the Parkzone micro fleet to the 9X and not having to carry 2 radios arround) i used a spare orange Rx i had arround for the DX6i.
It worked well until i got over 150 and then the plane lost control and crashed... when i got to it the servos were working well (i was carrying the radio with me when i recovered it) .. i tought it was due to the Orange Rx since it had been in a box for 2 years and could be a faulty unit after all.

But next day we went to the slope , i took my big Phoenix 2000 wich uses the stock 8ch Rx and the Flysky module.. i was flying arround well with no problems, then i went a bit far away to pick some lift in a rock ..and when i was over there the plane stoped responding to commands for 2 seconds... i tought "now this is weird, is working ok again" ... repeated and did it again couple of times, lost control at arround 200-250m and recovered 2 seconds later.. i landed and did a range check in ground.. and i could only walk 200-250m away from the Phoenix before the ESC began beeping.

Next day i did a range check in a street , left the radio in the car (in an open area, not locked under metal) and walked away with the Phoenix , managed 200m before it lost signal.. repeated test with the Orange module and a micro T-28 (to use a diferent Rx) and managed only 160m... and next day i repeated with a diferent Flysky receiver ... managed barelly 180m

I checked the pins.. they seem fine, not cracked and have no play whatsoever.. the batt pin feeds exactly the same voltage as the battery , and tried with 2 diferent batteries, same results

So ... any clues? i have pending a testing comparing to another friend's 9X and using each other modules , wich should resolv if the issue is from radio or module... everything seems to point to the module, but the problem repeating itself in 2 diferent modules?

As far as i know the 9X only uses 3 of the 5 pins... one is PPM signal, another is battery (direct current from battery) and the other is ground , all other 2 pins (6V and Antena) are not used.. the batt pin is ok, ground too and PPM i dont know how to check.. but the radio works flawlessly and perfectly fine under that 150-200m range.. so the PPM signal is working.. can it be "too weak" ... doesnt seem logical as its the module the one wich converts it and broadcast it..

I really wish its a module thing..because i can allways buy another module or directly go FrSky..but the thing of 2 modules doing same thing is getting under my skin...

In short:

-Radio seems to have only 150-200m range
-Seems to do it with 2 diferent modules, stock Flysky and Orange DSM2
-Voltage from radio to module is fine, checks same as main battery
-Bellow that range all works perfectly fine with no glitches or jitter
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:39 AM
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
I was just looking into buying a orangeRX module but after reading the comments on hobbyking alot of people are saying that it only has a range of about 150m for park flying purposes only. I might still get one, not sure. I have the flysky th9x stock module and receivers and have lost 2 planes from slight glitches probably from lost signal only about 100m away (yes it does fly further but im not sure if i trust it). Very disappointing module (love the radio though). I just upgraded to the frsky djt module and can already tell it has much smoother servo operation and alot further range I haven't done a range check on any of my equipment but the frsky I am very satisfied with and makes a very noticeable improvement. Hope this helps.
c0deman057 is offline Find More Posts by c0deman057
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:09 PM
United States, NY, Shirley
Joined Oct 2008
1,966 Posts
I would check here and here where all the Guru's reside:

http://9xforums.com/forum/index.php

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=1266162&pp=50

I've been using my 9X's flashed for 3 years. I use the both the Flysky TM00001 and TM00002 modules and have never had so much as a glitch.

As well I use Frsky and it has been rock solid.

However the TM0002 module in my fiends radio flaked out but thank God it was here at home while I was programming a plane. At first I thought it was the battery...nope...Rx...nope. Popped in my module and all was good.

I opened it up and sure enough there is a loose connection...where, I have no idea but it's not worth using that module again.

Now your problem sounds like it is the connection to the module as both modules have the same problem.

Check over there.
reacher10 is online now Find More Posts by reacher10
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:34 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0deman057 View Post
I was just looking into buying a orangeRX module but after reading the comments on hobbyking alot of people are saying that it only has a range of about 150m for park flying purposes only. I might still get one, not sure. I have the flysky th9x stock module and receivers and have lost 2 planes from slight glitches probably from lost signal only about 100m away (yes it does fly further but im not sure if i trust it). Very disappointing module (love the radio though). I just upgraded to the frsky djt module and can already tell it has much smoother servo operation and alot further range I haven't done a range check on any of my equipment but the frsky I am very satisfied with and makes a very noticeable improvement. Hope this helps.
I forgot about this thread since i got not answers

but i got new information..

-Orange module: The problem was the antenna... the antenna connector core pin was broken and did poor to non contact.. so it was like having practically not-antenna. A friend confirmed this testing the antenna with proper equipment.. we also installed a better antenna to the Orange and it seemed to have proper range.

At this point im waiting to replace the antenna and perform tests to discard further damage.. the antenna was the one provided by HobbyKing

-FlySky module: I did further testings and in one i managed 1000m with 500 of them well inside a city .. still had control tought it was becaming glitchy (understable as i was allready between buildings with certainly hundreds of Wi-fi routers arround).. did another test comparing it to another FlySky radio bought roughly at same time: same range results .. also did a range test with the Phoenix 2000 (the plane that had the problem) and range seemed normal.. in same spot where it had barelly 200m it reached more than 300 without problems at ground level.. so the FlySky module seems to perform normally .. tried other Rxs and got more than 400m at ground level (couldnt get more because i ran out of physical space in that area )

Now i got a FrSky module and it too seems to perform normally

.. no explanation why the Flysky module did so low range , the Orange RX was certainly due to faulty antenna, so thats solved, the FlySky module didnt had a faulty antenna and now seems to perform normally.. also i have been told that the modules only take current and PPM signal from the TX, the PPM signal is digital so it works or it doesnt ..it cant determine the range (if its wrong it will be wrong at all ranges , not just over 200m) ... maybe could be the battery? dont know.. i changed also the battery ... i was using a self-built 2S LiPo made out of 2 18650 batterys.. but some weeks ago i was looking at the display and i saw the voltage drop from 7.8V down to 7.4 and raise again at 7.8 .. 7.4 is still more than enought but just in case i swaped directly to a 3S LiFe batt

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0deman057 View Post
I was just looking into buying a orangeRX module but after reading the comments on hobbyking alot of people are saying that it only has a range of about 150m for park flying purposes only. .
Well with a borrowed antenna i got more than 200m ... i have still to get a decent antenna and when i get it i will do further testings .. still if it has 300-500m range it would be more than enought for standard flying.. but i would stick to FlySky if you have the standard 9X radio.. the FHSS system is way better and safer than DSM2 .. i got the module to fly ParkZone microplanes and helicopters i own with my 9X radio so i only need to carry one radio arround
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JLT_GTI; Mar 03, 2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:21 PM
United States, NY, Shirley
Joined Oct 2008
1,966 Posts
Sounds good!
reacher10 is online now Find More Posts by reacher10
Old Jun 08, 2013, 03:20 PM
www.solarenergyglow.com
Joined Feb 2013
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
I have a Flysky 9X since last april , moded with er9X using smartie board.. and totally happy with it ... it became my main radio replacing my good old Futaba 7C 35mhz.

The problem is that since some days, it seems to have quite a limited range.. but the BIG mystery.. i have 2 diferent modules, the stock Flysky module, and an Orange DSM2 module..

Last friday i was maidening a scratch foamie i made from spare depron and parts that i had arround.. and since now i had the Orange DSM2 module (wich i got in order to bind the Parkzone micro fleet to the 9X and not having to carry 2 radios arround) i used a spare orange Rx i had arround for the DX6i.
It worked well until i got over 150 and then the plane lost control and crashed... when i got to it the servos were working well (i was carrying the radio with me when i recovered it) .. i tought it was due to the Orange Rx since it had been in a box for 2 years and could be a faulty unit after all.

But next day we went to the slope , i took my big Phoenix 2000 wich uses the stock 8ch Rx and the Flysky module.. i was flying arround well with no problems, then i went a bit far away to pick some lift in a rock ..and when i was over there the plane stoped responding to commands for 2 seconds... i tought "now this is weird, is working ok again" ... repeated and did it again couple of times, lost control at arround 200-250m and recovered 2 seconds later.. i landed and did a range check in ground.. and i could only walk 200-250m away from the Phoenix before the ESC began beeping.

Next day i did a range check in a street , left the radio in the car (in an open area, not locked under metal) and walked away with the Phoenix , managed 200m before it lost signal.. repeated test with the Orange module and a micro T-28 (to use a diferent Rx) and managed only 160m... and next day i repeated with a diferent Flysky receiver ... managed barelly 180m

I checked the pins.. they seem fine, not cracked and have no play whatsoever.. the batt pin feeds exactly the same voltage as the battery , and tried with 2 diferent batteries, same results

So ... any clues? i have pending a testing comparing to another friend's 9X and using each other modules , wich should resolv if the issue is from radio or module... everything seems to point to the module, but the problem repeating itself in 2 diferent modules?

As far as i know the 9X only uses 3 of the 5 pins... one is PPM signal, another is battery (direct current from battery) and the other is ground , all other 2 pins (6V and Antena) are not used.. the batt pin is ok, ground too and PPM i dont know how to check.. but the radio works flawlessly and perfectly fine under that 150-200m range.. so the PPM signal is working.. can it be "too weak" ... doesnt seem logical as its the module the one wich converts it and broadcast it..

I really wish its a module thing..because i can allways buy another module or directly go FrSky..but the thing of 2 modules doing same thing is getting under my skin...

In short:

-Radio seems to have only 150-200m range
-Seems to do it with 2 diferent modules, stock Flysky and Orange DSM2
-Voltage from radio to module is fine, checks same as main battery
-Bellow that range all works perfectly fine with no glitches or jitter

I have exact same problem with my FS MODULE. i don't know why. maybe the power amp of the module until now i don't have any idea how to fix it
jan michael is offline Find More Posts by jan michael
Old Jun 08, 2013, 05:40 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan michael View Post
I have exact same problem with my FS MODULE. i don't know why. maybe the power amp of the module until now i don't have any idea how to fix it
Well if its a FlySky/Turnigy module they are on ebay for arround 15$ new with antenna.. you can also open it and check if something broke loose or if the antenna seems properly soldered (both antenna core and ground)..

I still have not solved the mystery of why my FS module performed poorly that time .. but since everything is back to normal now and i moved the big planes to FrSky..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2013, 02:36 AM
RC Aircraft Junkie
USA, CA, Chula Vista
Joined Sep 2004
885 Posts
I too have had range problems with two different modules. I am running er9x using a USB programmer and HobbyKing backlight. My DSM2/X set up is a little different. I have a module from a DX4e soldered in and mounted internally in the Transmitter with a switch to toggle between stock Flysky module and DSM2/X. My range problems happened using the stock FlySky 8ch receiver that came with the radio and an OrangeRX 3-‐Axis Flight Stabilizer V3 with Spektrum/JR DSM2 compatible 6Ch 2.4GHz Receiver. I have had no problems with both modules when flying micro helicopters (v911, V929, N CPX, MCP X, 130X etc.) and UM Planes (Champ, T-28 & Carbon Cub). the Dx4e module initially used the antenna from the DX4e (bare wire) inserted into a hollow antenna mast mounted in the stock antenna location. The Flysky antenna was relocated the back of the Flysky module.[IMG][/IMG] I have since replaced the Dx4e antenna with a Transmitter Antenna For 2.4GHz Radio EFLH1058. After replacing the antenna I performed a range test using the range test mode and got out to 120 ft with no drop outs or glitches. However when I flew I had a signal loss and crash (FMS 800mm V2 Corsair). On the Flysky equipped plane I poked a hole in the fuse to stick the antenna out and range tested out to about 160 meters with no loss of signal. However, 2 flights later I had loss of control and crash into very thick bushes and scrub in an area around a river bed. Aircraft could not be found (Durafly 1100mm P-51) Even after much searching. I did find out that the receiver built into the OrangeRX is one that is a "parkflyer" receiver thus not a full range receiver. I have since bought a Frsky module (DJT) and two Frsky full range receivers (D8R-II plus & V8FR-II).
jlk69 is offline Find More Posts by jlk69
Last edited by jlk69; Sep 05, 2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2013, 09:45 PM
BIGNASTY
Joined Aug 2012
94 Posts
Same thing happening to me. Cant get range out of the DJT/ D8R-2 plus installed in turnigh 9x.
James Viola is offline Find More Posts by James Viola
Old Sep 04, 2013, 10:06 PM
BIGNASTY
Joined Aug 2012
94 Posts
Same thing happening to me. Cant get range out of the DJT/ D8R-2 plus installed in turnigh 9x.
James Viola is offline Find More Posts by James Viola
Old Sep 05, 2013, 10:34 AM
RC Aircraft Junkie
USA, CA, Chula Vista
Joined Sep 2004
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Viola View Post
I bought the DJT module and have had no problems with range using this module. Also, using many different Specktrum receivers without problems. The one receiver I did have a problem with was the Orange RX3S Flight Stabilizer v3. So problem was likely something else (not range). Now I do not use the FlySky module with large aircraft only with micros.
jlk69 is offline Find More Posts by jlk69
Old Sep 05, 2013, 10:55 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,322 Posts
Since this issue i got a FrSky DHT-U module and it performs normally, no range problems... also the Orange module performs aparently normal as well with a FrSky 2db antenna (and the matching adapter).. the FlySky module seemed also to perform normaly in tests (it did at least 1km well inside a city)

So in my case it was a coincidence the malfunction of the stock Orange antenna and the still unexplainable problem with the stock FlySky
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2014, 07:43 AM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Sep 2008
5 Posts
Range problems

Hi
I have the flysky 9X & suddenly it started behaving weird. Servos chattering & no range.
Found the fault.
1. Make sure the module is fully clipped home (push out the tabs to ensure is locked in.
2. Open the TX you will find a spring metal strap that touches the back of the case, mine was a little loose & had some corrosion on one of the contact tips.
Bent it a bit to be tighter & cleaned off the corrosion & all perfect again.

Think this contact is an earth for the antenna (can`t remember now), but it needs to make a good contact when the case is reassembled.
airwilf is offline Find More Posts by airwilf