HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:53 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I tried that too, doug. I actually got rid of all but a couple of helis. But, now I have discovered quads.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:21 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,900 Posts
I agree with you that the quad forum is where all of the addicts and activity are. I just can't get used to flying one as effortlessly as a coax. My large coax is a Walkera 400D, but it's been dropped.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:11 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,510 Posts
I'm not into quads, but I have been following the DJI Phantom thread. There is no way I would spend $680 on a flying toy, then mount a $300 plus camera to it! With that much money into it, I would be too nervous to fly it!
As for repairs, there would be 2 more motors to replace than the coaxials, and I bet the electronics board is many times more expensive than a 3 in 1 unit. Nope, I'm sticking to coaxials, cheap simple, and fun to fly!
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:04 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I just ordered a DJI Phantom. I'm weak.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:16 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Dang Balr, not you too Like Doug, you Guys really need to see a Doc for some help before you reach the point of no return. May God have mercy on your souls

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:47 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,510 Posts
Quote:
Ha, Ha, there sure are alot of weak people out there that have them. I like watching the videos the guys are posting. One gets to see alot of different country in them. I like the guys that are flying with the goggles, now that must take a little getting used to.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:48 PM
"If it ain't broke,fly again"
Canada, ON, Greater Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
940 Posts
a thought...?

The cx4 really only needs a longer inner shaft and shorter fly-bar that's it. No blade "clack". However I wonder if you could use the Esky longer-inner shaft and the other company who makes bling for it..? um...the shorter flybar....? The rest you can keep stock. No need to upgrade and or mod then. If not then we could make it should fit...little here..little there and "voila". Only upgrade needed. *wink*
douglas4 is offline Find More Posts by douglas4
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:41 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas4 View Post
The cx4 really only needs a longer inner shaft and shorter fly-bar that's it. No blade "clack". However I wonder if you could use the Esky longer-inner shaft and the other company who makes bling for it..? um...the shorter flybar....? The rest you can keep stock. No need to upgrade and or mod then. If not then we could make it should fit...little here..little there and "voila". Only upgrade needed. *wink*
That should not be a problem - the stuff that wont work is anything that pertains to the [b]outer[//b] shaft - lower head, swash, frame bearings ...
The inner shaft is the same diameter as BOL to all I know ... so no problem there (and even if they made the inner shaft thinner and the outer shaft thicker ... there is still the L400 to cannibalize parts from in times of need ...)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:24 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,900 Posts
I think the only way to start out in quads is to go with the MQX. It's Spektrum compatible, so, you can dummy it down to a beginner level to start with. I'm glad I didn't buy a big $$$$$$$$$$$ quad just to find out I can't fly it right.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:39 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I think the only way to start out in quads is to go with the MQX. It's Spektrum compatible, so, you can dummy it down to a beginner level to start with. I'm glad I didn't buy a big $$$$$$$$$$$ quad just to find out I can't fly it right.
The biggest reason I decided to buy a Phantom is the failsafe functions. Physical problems related to age (mostly) are making it very hard for me to continue flying, especially eye problems. But if I get into trouble, all i have to do is hit a switch and it will level itself, stop moving and sit there hovering. If it gets out of range or I loose signal, it's GPS function will take over and return home and land. I can't lose orientation, because it has Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC), so it always knows where it's pointed, even if I don't, and adjusts it's virtual heading. An MQX is great, because you can't break them. But, when I start to spend money on a bigger and better flying craft, I need all the help I can get.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:17 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,049 Posts
Give me an mqx and I can break, it lol
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:30 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,510 Posts
I find it a little odd that there is a .50 cents difference in price between the upper and lower rotor blades.

http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...ickAccessories
click on parts listing "see all"
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:16 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,900 Posts
It's from EFlite, so, you're not allowed to question their logic.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:10 PM
"If it ain't broke,fly again"
Canada, ON, Greater Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
940 Posts
quads

Quote:
I tried that too, doug. I actually got rid of all but a couple of helis. But, now I have discovered quads.
Ya I thought about quads after watching the video online with the gaui quad attached to the MD500 fuse and thought..."WOW" no more broken tail booms..blades etc etc. But $399 just for the quad...ouch baby, very ouch. I just put an order in last night for a new cx2 red fuselage and some extra blades and a new 3 in 1 controller (gave to a buddy to fly and he blew it), and some battery's. Also ordered a new set of lower blades and batteries for my mcx tandem. They have been sitting in the boxes for the last 2 years and I thought why not revive them and keep em flying. But I'm really liking this new cx4. I'm really starting to dig this co-axial thing. Oh now I've done it again..let the co-ax addiction begin all over again. $$$$$$$$$$$$. lol.

Doug
douglas4 is offline Find More Posts by douglas4
Last edited by douglas4; Feb 08, 2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:34 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,900 Posts
CX2, CX3 or CX4, they're too much brand new. There's always the guy on Ebay selling returns with known defects, etc. There's a way to get there without the high $$$$$$$$$$$, even if you have to wait a while.