HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:56 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyeraroo View Post
Geez, I have been hearing that people are all fired up about this helicopter, and have put their orders in. Now that's interesting!
What exactly?? That people put their orders in (I was really thinking about this too, until I saw more of the pics ...) OR that Blade is basically "RE-releasing" a two year old JPerkins heli ...???
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:07 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
There are so few new coaxes these days, it doesn't take much to get people excited.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:31 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
Well, I guess the people that placed their orders are looking for the larger coaxials, and there still some Lama 400's around. The 400's are larger, better built, and cheaper than the new CX4 coming out. It could be they want the Spektrum side of it over Walkera too. I guess it could also be that the 400's and the BOL helicopters aren't in production any longer, and they think parts will be harder to come by. Hey, it's all good, that's what keeps these threads going!
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:13 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,354 Posts
Quote:
Well, I guess the people that placed their orders are looking for the larger coaxials, and there still some Lama 400's around. The 400's are larger, better built, and cheaper than the new CX4 coming out. It could be they want the Spektrum side of it over Walkera too. I guess it could also be that the 400's and the BOL helicopters aren't in production any longer, and they think parts will be harder to come by. Hey, it's all good, that's what keeps these threads going!
So we wait 2 years and then someone will RErelease the L400 and the BOL under a different name respectively ... (thats what I think about the whole re-releasing story ... no offense ...)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:10 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
All the different coaxes he scratchbuilt from some type of stock parts were/are collective pitch! (only the very first attempt was a FP that actually used L400 stock blades ... but from then on only CP blades)
BUT, you need an opposite pair of blades from a normal CP or any other heli. The blades I have from a cheap 3 channel are almost exactly like a stock HBFP blade, BUT, like I said, you need a pair of opposite blades for the counter-rotating rotor and that set has them.
MJX-T34 heli $6.00 http://www.china-toy-wholesale.com/m...5_100_106.html
$6.00 http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html
As already mentioned, if using stock Walkera grips on a 400D, the roots of these blades need to be filed down to fit and a washer/ spacer is needed for the BIG clearance hole for the screws. For the CX4, it may not be an issue.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:21 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
Quote:
I think you may have hit the nail on the head. It's about trust. No matter what Walkera comes out with, some people are completely turned off by their previous antics and won't touch one of their heli's. The newest stuff they have out requires you to buy yet another transmitter(Devo) while our shelves still have how many other versions? Esky is NOT impressing anybody anymore. They seem to be dying a slow death and are no longer the driving force they were a few years ago when I got into heli's. EFlite offers you what is perceived to be quality and you can get parts easily from a hobby shop right in the area you live in. Their customer service is pretty good. Their only downfall is that they don't come out with brushless heli's, quads or planes. Imagine how popular the new heli would be if it was brushless for that same price. You KNOW they could do that. Brushless is not that more expensive when you're doing mass production.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:04 AM
Joined Mar 2009
9,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack;24018989[B
BUT, you need an opposite pair of blades from a normal CP or any other heli. The blades I have from a cheap 3 channel are almost exactly like a stock HBFP blade, BUT, like I said, you need a pair of opposite blades for the counter-rotating rotor and that set has them.
MJX-T34 heli $6.00 http://www.china-toy-wholesale.com/m...5_100_106.html
$6.00 http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html
As already mentioned, if using stock Walkera grips on a 400D, the roots of these blades need to be filed down to fit and a washer/ spacer is needed for the BIG clearance hole for the screws. For the CX4, it may not be an issue.
sorry, I beg to differ. The principle of CP (as the name collective pitch stands for) is that you can change the angle of the blade grip to get the pitch - so you do NOT need different types of blades, they are ALL the exact same, no matter what - you just let them run in the different direction and set the blade grips up for it ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:18 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
Quote:
sorry, I beg to differ. The principle of CP (as the name collective pitch stands for) is that you can change the angle of the blade grip to get the pitch - so you do NOT need different types of blades, they are ALL the exact same, no matter what - you just let them run in the different direction and set the blade grips up for it ...
The leading edge on one pair will be facing the wrong way. How do you adjust the pitch on our coax's? Do you use some kind of grip that's adjustable? I don't see anybody doing that.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:17 AM
Joined Mar 2009
9,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
The leading edge on one pair will be facing the wrong way. How do you adjust the pitch on our coax's? Do you use some kind of grip that's adjustable? I don't see anybody doing that.
If you use CP heli blades, it does not matter, which side faces up because you change the pitch for the heli to go up or down (ie the angle of the blade), not the headspeed (with constant angle).
So it becomes incredibly easy, you just flip the blade around and use it for the other way ... thats it
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:51 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,509 Posts
If I understand what you guys are talking about, you are both correct. There are a couple different type of blades. There are the flat bottom blades, which would be directional, and cannot be flipped over and use in the same direction. There are the symmetrical blades, which can be used both CW & CCW, or flipped over and used in the same direction.
E2, I believe you are talking about the symmetrical blades that could be flipped over, since top and bottom of the blade would be the same.
KJ, I believe you may be talking about a flat bottom blade which cannot be flipped over and used both ways. The Walkera LM3 used flat bottom blades, which were designed to go each direction, so one could not switch the upper and lower blades around. It used collective pitch to control the pitch of the blades.
E2, I remember you had that coaxial helicopter that was flybarless, which had symmetrical blades on the upper and lower rotors. The blade grips were pitched to give the angle or pitch to the blades, and it didn't matter which blades went where. I hope I have all this correct.
Maybe Xtreme will produce a larger version of the 55 degree blades for the CX4, which would benefit the BOL & the Lama 400 helicopters also.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Last edited by flyeraroo; Feb 04, 2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:20 AM
Joined Mar 2009
9,354 Posts
Quote:
If I understand what you guys are talking about, you are both correct. There are a couple different type of blades. There are the flat bottom blades, which would be directional, and cannot be flipped over and use in the same direction. There are the symmetrical blades, which can be used both CW & CCW, or flipped over and used in the same direction.
E2, I believe you are talking about the symmetrical blades that could be flipped over, since top and bottom of the blade would be the same.
KJ, I believe you may be talking about a flat bottom blade which cannot be flipped over and used both ways. The Walkera LM3 used flat bottom blades, which were designed to go each direction, so one could not switch the upper and lower blades around. It used collective pitch to control the pitch of the blades.
E2, I remember you had that coaxial helicopter that was flybarless, which had symmetrical blades on the upper and lower rotors. The blade grips were pitched to give the angle or pitch to the blades, and it didn't matter which blades went where. I hope I have all this correct.
Maybe Xtreme will produce a larger version of the 55 degree blades for the CX4, which would benefit the BOL & the Lama 400 helicopters also.
cannot find a single flaw in your "run down"

but even IF Xtreme would make those blades, I would still say they are about two years late to the party, because this market will NEVER again recover to where it was in 2010! Today, coaxes are more for "sentimentalists" (and dont worry, I am a BIG one myself) - and those alone wont be able to carry it ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:29 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
I think most CP heli blades are not as wide as our coax blades, especially those that are the size and looks of a HBFP blade. Will a thinner blade produce enough lift for a big, heavy heli like this or the 400D? Those heli's also produce what seems to be twice the head speed. Do guys use them on the BOL?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:11 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Quote:
but even IF Xtreme would make those blades, I would still say they are about two years late to the party, because this market will NEVER again recover to where it was in 2010! Today, coaxes are more for "sentimentalists" (and dont worry, I am a BIG one myself) - and those alone wont be able to carry it ...
Now that is the biggest truth! Even the 3 channel toys that were so popular, have lost market share to quads. We aren't far from having conventional helis with auto-stabilization as standard fare on $100 beginner models. The flight control boards are already available. At the moment they are kind of expensive, but that won't last.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:27 PM
"If it ain't broke,fly again"
Canada, ON, Greater Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
940 Posts
cx4

I have been waiting for a long time for eflite to get a bigger cx model. I bought the cx2 few years back and totally upgraded it with all the boom-town....etc upgrades motors etc to make it perform excellently. Now they come up with this 300 size. Of course there will be many after market upgrades available for it..many "$"s more spent. Once the get the all our money from this and milk it..then they will come out with a larger 450 and or 500 size...and the upgrading and modding will begin all over again. Very smart marketing. Very smart marketing. But alas I'm not going to fall prey to this cx4 thing cause the next thing you know I will buying a 450 size co-ax and then a 500 size co-ax and upgrading and modding them too. I've done the single heli thing too...axe cp.....exi 450...hirobo shuttle .32 nitro. I'm not going to do this anymore. Grrrrr I hate this hooby sometimes. I said in another thread I was out of it but I can't pry myself away from it. I'm going back to planes. No more helis.

doug
douglas4 is offline Find More Posts by douglas4
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:01 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas4 View Post
I have been waiting for a long time for eflite to get a bigger cx model. I bought the cx2 few years back and totally upgraded it with all the boom-town....etc upgrades motors etc to make it perform excellently. Now they come up with this 300 size. Of course there will be many after market upgrades available for it..many "$"s more spent. Once the get the all our money from this and milk it..then they will come out with a larger 450 and or 500 size...and the upgrading and modding will begin all over again. Very smart marketing. Very smart marketing. But alas I'm not going to fall prey to this cx4 thing cause the next thing you know I will buying a 450 size co-ax and then a 500 size co-ax and upgrading and modding them too. I've done the single heli thing too...axe cp.....exi 450...hirobo shuttle .32 nitro. I'm not going to do this anymore. Grrrrr I hate this hooby sometimes. I said in another thread I was out of it but I can't pry myself away from it. I'm going back to planes. No more helis.

doug
Hi Doug, have you considered sitting down with a professional to talk about this...ahem...addiction "No more helis." I joke, I joke

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012