HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:13 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,822 Posts
Discussion
I've got 35+ planes, what's my next one

Alright, I've finished building my last one and now itching to get another one, but I can't seem to put my thumb on the next one.

I do have 1 more in a box; but it's like a 118" flying wing...and it's a kit, so I'm reluctant to build that one.

Pls suggest some...

I'm thinking something balsa, something BIG (~70"), something that can do 50mph, something that looks nice and makes people's jaw drop....

i've already got a 73", 63" cub
55" P40
stryker
79" sailplane

thanks much
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:43 PM
Learn to build with wood.
United States, NC, Newport
Joined Sep 2012
819 Posts
Do a B-52 with 8 ducted fans......That should keep you busy for a while!
Tucci is offline Find More Posts by Tucci
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:07 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
Alright, I've finished building my last one and now itching to get another one, but I can't seem to put my thumb on the next one.

I do have 1 more in a box; but it's like a 118" flying wing...and it's a kit, so I'm reluctant to build that one.

Pls suggest some...

I'm thinking something balsa, something BIG (~70"), something that can do 50mph, something that looks nice and makes people's jaw drop....

i've already got a 73", 63" cub
55" P40
stryker
79" sailplane

thanks much
you have way to many ! Sell me one or two that can be shipped then ill have 14 and youll have more room
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:42 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
785 Posts
Build the kit. It may slow you down some and help you control your addiction. It did me. John
jbrooks01 is online now Find More Posts by jbrooks01
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:56 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
2,956 Posts
Well you said big but you didn't say cheap... As far as I know these are still available: http://www.srbatteries.com/eindeckr.htm
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:31 AM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
2,146 Posts
Try a 1:1 Wright Flyer.
It'll present some original challenges in converting bicycles into flying machines.
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:25 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,825 Posts
118" Flying wing? I am very intrigued...
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:28 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
118" Flying wing? I am very intrigued...
Sorry; it's been such a long time since I've looked at it. Last time I pulled it out was to take a pix. anyhow, I lied, it's 100"

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...2-P4189866.jpg

I can't even remember how long I've had this thing...must be at least 5+ years, and the fellow that gave it to me must of had it for 10+
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:24 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,692 Posts
Have you been watching You Tube videos, it takes a lot to make jaws drop.If you have bought and "assembled" 35 mostly foamie ARF's, no wonder you are getting a little bored. Sugggest you spend some time on the other forums including Scale Electric Planes and get a clearer idea of what you want to actually build based on your building experience, budget, availability of work space, and tools. If you are not a veteran builder, suggest you start with something easier and learn basics of building, selection and mounting of motors, speed controls, battery packs, and RC gear, soldering, servo linkage, tip-washout, covering and finishing, dealing with warps, final CG etc., setup, maiden and trim flights. Take a look at "Pat's Custom Models" and "Mountain Models/Laser Arts" scale and sport models.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:48 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,776 Posts
Only 35 planes ?

By the end of the year I should have 365

Ok, so my son gave me a 'fold a paper plane a day' calendar.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:00 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,304 Posts
DO NOT click on this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1820417
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:06 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
Have you been watching You Tube videos, it takes a lot to make jaws drop.If you have bought and "assembled" 35 mostly foamie ARF's, no wonder you are getting a little bored. Sugggest you spend some time on the other forums including Scale Electric Planes and get a clearer idea of what you want to actually build based on your building experience, budget, availability of work space, and tools. If you are not a veteran builder, suggest you start with something easier and learn basics of building, selection and mounting of motors, speed controls, battery packs, and RC gear, soldering, servo linkage, tip-washout, covering and finishing, dealing with warps, final CG etc., setup, maiden and trim flights. Take a look at "Pat's Custom Models" and "Mountain Models/Laser Arts" scale and sport models.
Actually with the exception of the FMS P40, most of my planes are woodies, anywhere from 18" to 70"+; but yes they've been all ARF.

Not really a newbie on electronic selection, mounting motors etc; but would be a newbie when it comes to building from a kit.

maybe a small kit might be the next new thing for me to do.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:07 PM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,605 Posts
Scratch build an airplane. Go find some balsa trees and go from there. Should keep you busy for a while.
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:09 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
Actually with the exception of the FMS P40, most of my planes are woodies, anywhere from 18" to 70"+; but yes they've been all ARF.

Not really a newbie on electronic selection, mounting motors etc; but would be a newbie when it comes to building from a kit.

maybe a small kit might be the next new thing for me to do.
if you want to enjoy building and appreciate fine engineering and don't mind park size, Stevens Aero and Mountain Models kits are just a joy to put together, and the 5 I've built so far have all flown great.
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:12 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,776 Posts
Get some plans for something truly unique, visit the lhs for some balsa and ply, and truly build something...
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger