HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:02 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,383 Posts
Discussion
Official FMS 1700MM Warbird Owners Thread

I saw the 1100 Owners Thread and thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for those of us who own the FMS 1700MM-class of Warbirds. As of today, there are currently only 3 warbirds in this class. The P-47D Thunderbolt, the F4U-4 Corsair and the P-51D Mustang.

FMS has told me that they have moved away from focusing on their 1700-class to focus on their 1400-class primarily due to sluggish sales in large part to a weak world economy and transport problems that these larger warbirds create.

The primary purpose of this thread is to share our love, stories, photos, mod ideas, upgrade requests, tips and tricks and anything else you can think of regarding these fantastic larger scale warbirds.

As many here know, I perform design work for FMS in return for product. It's a sweet arrangement for sure. I am able to help offer insight into future models, plans, release dates, early-release photos and other things as a by-product of my relationship. They know I share these things with the RCG community and it's a win-win for all involved.

I love FMS's product, especially their warbirds. Although I enjoy flying the 1400-class immensely, nothing thrills my senses like the giant scale 1700. The way they look in the air and on the ground, their size, and how they feel and perform in the skies makes the 1700 second-to-none in my book. I am fortunate that I drive a Ford Expedition that allows me to put the 1700 in the back with seats folded down without having to remove the wings for transport. However, I am limited to taking one to the field at a time.

Others I have heard remove the wings as they have no other option based on the size of their vehicle. It is my hope that FMS not only continues the 1700 class, but expands with new models, variants and modifications that allow the wings to easily pop on and off for transport with minimal connectors needed to get her up in the air and back into the vehicle quickly.

Working with FMS, I know firsthand how much they value their customers and take our feedback and suggestions to heart. Many of you have seen revisions, modifications, liveries and models all based off the thoughts, feedback and comments from those of us in this very community.

I hope this thread becomes a universal resource for everything FMS 1700 Warbird. For owners, potential owners, or just those curious, let's get this thread rollin'!

The logical start off is to share your photos. Here's some photos of my collection both past and present.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:20 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Great Pics!
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:21 PM
Joined Jan 2011
384 Posts
Good idea!! I only have the P47 as of now, but plan on getting both the Mustang and corsair in the future. I have been waiting to see if BH offers a sale price like they have on the P47, but so far they haven't. The size does create a problem as far as tranport, but they sure do give you a better feel once in the air. I would really like to see them do the BF/ME 109 in the 1700mm size, and a SPITFIRE would be cool too!!!
warbirdfan2 is offline Find More Posts by warbirdfan2
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:24 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,383 Posts
Thanks TripleW!

The BF 109 would be sweet...So would a P-38, P-40, Stuka, Spitfire...On and on and on.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:31 PM
Name brands compare me...Why?
United States, NJ
Joined Feb 2012
370 Posts
I'm so looking forward to spring this year and I'm scrambling to get all three of these into rotation. My mustang is complete and ready to go...Red Tail "Little Freddie" with a sound system.

The Corsair will be complete next week. After re-aligning the tail gear servo I decided to repaint it to what I wanted.(pictures coming soon)

The P-47 will remain stock for now with new gear and struts.

The detail and bang for the buck on these is fantastic! I hope they continue with this series as it seems they have ALL the issues worked out.
BRAND X is offline Find More Posts by BRAND X
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:37 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,383 Posts
Love the Little Freddie! Nice job! I am getting my new Red Tail in a couple weeks...Duchess Arlene will have my first-ever Benedini sound system installed. I can't wait!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:04 PM
Joined Mar 2011
177 Posts
Todd, As of now I only have 1400mm planes but hope to jump into one of these 1700mm beauties soon and I'm definitely in on the ( on and on and on) thing.
FokkerD is offline Find More Posts by FokkerD
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:46 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,383 Posts
I sold Tallahassee Lassie tonight. Had to make room for more planes. She will be missed but she's going to a good home.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:30 AM
United States, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined May 2007
94 Posts
Aros, what paint did you use on your P-47?
400xp is offline Find More Posts by 400xp
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:36 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,383 Posts
Testor's Chrome, Olive Drab and I forget which blue I used for the trim...I gave the leftover can to the buyer...Sorry!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:41 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,367 Posts
Great thread and planes !!!
I am very glad that Aros is connected with FMS as they need a line of communication with the RC Modeler .
One note that I hope you pass onto them as they struggle to focus or gain focus on what will sell, cost , and the future .
Prior to the last 18 months I spent the last 4 years back into rc in the Fuel warbird area on this site and the other one .
The heavy medal warbird guys flying gas and nitro buring 14 thru 20 lb planes would never take foam serious .
Then one day a foamy came along and it changed the rules , the comments were "that is interesting " that is cool " and low and behold it was the LX corsair with folding wings .
What was the catch with these older RC fellows that were so set in there ways ???
Well it was the technology that was previously only seen in $3000 plus warbirds now available in an ARF . Yes we all know how bad that corsair was based on some simple elementry erros but overall the common modeler was now able to fold his wings , previously only a trait for the Top Gun Level pilots !!
My point is , right now LX, FMS ect are only scratching the surface with the foam guys advancing to larger size foamys , they are only getting a small % of the middle to higher end long term die hard RC warbird guy ! The guys that flying gas and 70" , is still doing just that and the only way to reach that long term dollar opportunity with that very loyal serious rc member is cooler , bigger models !!!
They need to learn how to stay in the game and keep raising the bar on scale .
There new competition is ESM , not LX , not Starmax , but ESM , CMP , Top Flight , Horison , and anyone if the 70" plus arf warbird field !!!
But if they can keep going the payoff is big !
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:16 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,383 Posts
Ldm you raise very good points! I agree that this is a niche that can be filled if they capitalize on what's before them. The wing-folding LX Corsair was a wake up call to the RC warbird community to what is possible in the less expensive foam class. One day, I envision foam warbirds from FMS and others will look and have the same size and museum quality scale features as the CARF models, etc...Once the modification to the wings is molded for ease of transport, size restrictions suddenly fall by the wayside.

Imagine an FMS Corsair that looks like this...

RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:44 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,990 Posts
The other thing they need to focus on is scale propellers. The tech and the power is available right now, and it's cheap to implement on the factory level (even cheap on a consumer level). There is no excuse when it comes to electric power in planes of this size to not have a scale sized propeller.

I for one would happily pay a bit more for the 1000% increase in looks and cool factor
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:48 AM
Finally made a maiden flight!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2008
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
The other thing they need to focus on is scale propellers. The tech and the power is available right now, and it's cheap to implement on the factory level (even cheap on a consumer level). There is no excuse when it comes to electric power in planes of this size to not have a scale sized propeller.

I for one would happily pay a bit more for the 1000% increase in looks and cool factor
To a large extent I agree with this. I think it worth saying that a scale prop on some of these models would kick them into the (experienced pilots only category) counter rotation will be a factor on a scale Mustang for example. With a nose to tail length of 32 feet, an 11 foot prop is just over one third the length of the fuselage. And as a matter of fact this was hugely factored into piloting the P-51. Especially at take off....

Having said that, I will be installing a scale prop on my 1,700mm Mustang sometime after I get cozy flying the model all stock. I think the diameter would be real close to 20"!!!! Now that would look AWESOME!

Aros, thanks for starting the thread man! So far I have been able to keep my planes... (knocking on wood) Awesome squadron ya got there!!!
alpinemike is offline Find More Posts by alpinemike
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:10 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,990 Posts
I have scale sized and shape props on my FW 190 and I haven't noticed any increase in take off yaw or torque roll effects.

The 1700 mustang props should be 21" diameter I think from memory. However the 1700 stock props are perfect scale for the 1400 mustang
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit