Description: Fuz
Sarboy is offline Find More Posts by Sarboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:20 PM
Spy's sappin' my thermal!
Seattle, WA
Joined May 2009
137 Posts
That's a very shapely nose. Looking good so far.

It's always fun watching scratch builds. Care to fill us in on what the specs will be?
Chris Sutton is offline Find More Posts by Chris Sutton
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:47 PM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
good that is a real build (not just gluing servos inside )

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:25 PM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Specs:

Balsa fuz covered in glass and carbon reinforcement, carbon boom with all moving tail.

Wing 1500mm disser with carbon D box and Kevlar live hinge. First bagged wing and foam cores so may be crap.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:40 AM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
First ever bagged product. Its the tail.

Aquarium pump and a bin bag. Can wait to see if it works?

Name: image.jpg
Views: 170
Size: 277.5 KB
Description: Tail bagged in kitchen, hope the wife doesn't mind!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:08 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,189 Posts
I've been curious to try the aquarium pump just to see how it turns out. Please share pics, weights, and material choice. Always good to see another builder
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:34 AM
Joined Oct 2006
76 Posts
I've been following your posts here and in the composites forum with much interest. Please show us what happens when you get your parts out of the bag!
MarkRebuck is offline Find More Posts by MarkRebuck
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:42 AM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Fuz has a boom.

Views: 135
Size: 175.0 KB
Description: Boom!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:45 AM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Boom, boom!

Views: 146
Size: 187.2 KB
Description:

Can now finish sheeting the fuz and then it's going to be skinned in glass with a little carbon cloth around the wing seat and boom
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:28 AM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
The tail has a foam core covered in 1k disser, 12k spread carbon spar, 25g glass leading edge, 12k spread carbon tips, and 25g glass covering.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:09 PM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Mar 2008
1,076 Posts
That pod looks like the first balsa pod I made and the crash was spectacular. The wing still in one piece (with a chunk of the fuse still attached to it) was acting like a thin piece of paper that you throw in the air, meanwhile the rest of the fuse and tail group became a RC arrow and was flying ballistic like a missile. The fuse got stuck in the soft ground some 75M nose in to the ground. Oh the fun days of making of my first model.
My mistake was that I used a thin layer of fiberglass on the outside of the fuse (1.6 glass). I should have had more than that. I would shape the balsa to a feather edge around the boom do not worry about the thickness. Then use some sleeve material 1 layer light weight carbon fiber and one layer Kevlar and you should be in great shape. You can get those get from http://sollercomposites.com/ . And one more thing make sure the radio fits inside since it looks a little on the thin side. Make a paper or cardboard box around your RC equipment and be sure is tight an all of it fits inside then you can accurately predict the size of the fuse.
Traian is online now Find More Posts by Traian
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined Mar 2008
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwill6 View Post
I've been curious to try the aquarium pump just to see how it turns out. Please share pics, weights, and material choice. Always good to see another builder
I used my aquarium pump for the first time last week making a Mimi vertical stab. I got the pump at Wal Mart for something like $12. It didn't take much to modify it to draw a vacuum.

I used meat tray foam (free), sanded to a roughly symmetrical airfoil section, .75 oz fiberglass (FG) cloth (I think ... I don't have the packaging any longer), 3k carbon tow, and West Systems G-flex epoxy. For the bag I used 6 mil polyethylene (PE) sheet (from Home Depot), plumbers putty, and felt for breather (from Michael's).

I put the FG on a piece of PE and spread the epoxy with a plastic card (one of the ones you get in the snail mail ... I get lots from Verizon). I then blotted the FG with a paper towel. Then I put the PE+FG on the foam core. I place the felt over that, then into the "bag" (sheet of PE folded and sealed with plumber's putty). I used clear plastic tubing (from Home Depot) to connect the aquarium pump to the "bag."

I let it sit overnight, then removed the piece from the bag. I put it in the utility closet (where the furnace is located) for a "post cure" (I know it's not really a post cure ... but it is hot in there ...).

I am not sure of the weight as I do not have a scale.

I can post a pic later today.

I have to say the thing is pretty danged stiff and I was pleasantly surprised with the results.

Next time I will use HVAC putty instead of plumbers putty. Also, I may use a premade plastic bag (probably a "contractor grade" plastic bag by Hefty, which I think is 6mil) instead of a sheet folded into a bag.

All in all, interesting, educational, and a cheap introduction to bagging. I can see why one would want to "move up in the ranks" to better equipment.
Cap_n_Dave is offline Find More Posts by Cap_n_Dave
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:40 PM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Oh, while I think about it. I've entered lynx Apollo space flight compitition. If you have a sec could you please vote for me and even tell your friends.

https://www.lynxapollo.com/en_GB/140...greene?image=0
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:26 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,657 Posts
I don't really have anything to add other than to say I am always interested in seeing building threads like this.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:58 AM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Pics first. I'll explain later.

Views: 156
Size: 177.6 KB
Description: Top of tail. Carbon spar.