HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:28 PM
United States, NM, Holloman AFB
Joined Oct 2007
86 Posts
Discussion
Micro RC plane and cox .15

Are there any RC planes that can use a cox .15 or similar engine? I was looking at the balsa micro's from eflight and figured I could convert one over to nitro but use a really small engine. Does anyone know where I could buy a cox .15 for a decent price? I've only seen them for $200 and up which is ridiculous.

Or maybe this one from Sig http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV5.html?E+Sig
F16DCC is offline Find More Posts by F16DCC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:16 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
901 Posts
.15 isn't small, try a .049 or smaller...

What planes are you looking at?
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:21 PM
Joined Oct 2007
86 Posts
I'm specificaly looking at the Pulse micro, but have also considered the micro Twist.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:35 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
901 Posts
I don't kow what the Pulse micro is, do you have a link?

The Mini Pulse from e-flight (link) would be fine with a .10-.15 engine depending on what type of flying you're after. Keep the weight down and most things will fly fairly well.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:51 PM
Joined Oct 2007
86 Posts
Mini - micro, whatever it is...the tiny Pulse, lol.

But where can I get a Cox .15 for a decent price? I've looked high and low but can't find one.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:10 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
901 Posts
The Cox Conquest .15 are not made anymore (in fact no cox engines are, some are assembled from old parts but that is just the .049 size). You can find them on E-bay for about $200, and yes they are a collectors item.

Get the Magnum/SC .15XLS instead (the one with a blue head). A quarter of the price, about the same power, and you get a regular muffler...
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:38 PM
Joined Oct 2007
86 Posts
Thank you for the engine suggestion. I looked on tower and they have them for sale so I can buy it with my servo's. How much torque and speed should I be looking for on servo's with such a small A/C? I'm looking at the 9G servos but I don't know if 21oz of torque is enough for high deflection on control surfaces.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:43 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
901 Posts
I don't think that't it is worth saving a few $ on the servos, as with using the HXT (?), go for quality instead. I like the HS65-HB, but you might need something larger (HS-81 MG for instance), the mini Pulse is not a small plane (it is certainly larger than most of my planes.)
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:29 PM
Joined Oct 2007
86 Posts
I looked further into it and found it uses the smallest micro servo's. The HS-65HB fits the bill but I'm unsure about running analog 3 pole with such a small plane. I'm worried about centering mostly.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:38 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
574 Posts
A Cox .15 just went up for sale - won't last long...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1821416
GliderJim is offline Find More Posts by GliderJim
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:34 PM
Joined Oct 2007
86 Posts
Thank you Jim but I'm going to stick with Magnum that surfer kris suggested.

To surfer kris, is there any difference in the solid blue head vs the blue and silver head on the Magnum? Only difference I see is the solid blue one comes with a restrictor for combat classes to stay legal.

But I think I've decided my build, I'll be using Hitec 5065mg for control surfaces, Hitec 5055 for throttle, Hobbico 1100mah 10c life battery, AR600 receiver, 4oz Sullivan RST tank, Dave Brown engine mount, and of coarse Magnum XLS .15. Final weight w/ empty tank will be the same or 1oz heavier than the RTF version of the mini Pulse. I also might replace the control horns and linkages if they aren't up to my standards.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:16 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
901 Posts
I don't have the latest Magnum with inserts myself, but I think that the innards are the same as on the one that is blue and Al on the head. You want to avoid the ones before that, i.e. the ones with no blue at all on the head.

Those servos should work fine, I personally don't think that digital servos are needed, this is large plane and it is not very fast. The planes that I have "converted" from electric to glow have all ended up lighter than the recommended weight on electrics...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:30 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,272 Posts
The blue head motor is the good one. There is also an AP .09 and .15 that are good too, but don't have the power of the blue head motor. They are a bit lighter, and cheaper(sorry, less expensive) For servos on a .15, I like smaller than standard but still with 4 mounting holes, or two holes with metal gears and high torque. There are so many brands to choose from now, analog servos are fine too, only slightly slower but less drain.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:49 AM
Somerset Pa
Joined Dec 2009
176 Posts
Why not try a simple littlekit/ short kit like the la stick or badical r/c`s micro stick with a throttled COX TeeDee 010 on it? thats my next build, the Teedee 051R/C was a bit much on the littlest stick for me to keep control of on thkis day http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5UwE5eQYNWc
And he is right,you may manage to find a used COX sportsman .15 for shttp://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5UwE5eQYNWcale cheaper,but most COX .15`s are collectors items like this one
Jaspur_x is offline Find More Posts by Jaspur_x
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:14 PM
Joined Oct 2007
86 Posts
I know digitals aren't necessary but I hold the philosophy of "buy once, cry once". I've spent so much money on just electronics for airplanes it doesn't even compare to the cost of the air frame and engine combined on some of them. However, the couple planes that I've crashed I made sure to pick the electronics out instead of tossing them like I have before with "cheap" servos after they have stripped.

I have decided to change a couple things up though. The battery will be changed to a Avionics 1300mah 30C life for higher discharge, just incase I need it so I don't get a brown out. Will also be changing the fuel tank to a 6oz for longer flight times.