Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:09 PM
Village Idiot!
United States, OK, Ponca City
Joined Mar 2003
128 Posts
Question
Restoring a US12

Hello everyone,

At long last, I'm getting around to returning a used US12 I acquired some time back to the local waters. But I need to correct some issues that I have with it first.
The main one is what looks like stress cracks in the gelcoat of the hull. Do I sand and fill the outside of the hull? And anything needed on the inside?
The other is repainting the hull. My only experience is with a few lexan RC car bodies which is entirely different. Do I sand it down to the glass first, or just rough sand, primer, and so on?

Thanks in advance,

Travis
tdonily is offline Find More Posts by tdonily
Last edited by tdonily; Jan 30, 2013 at 05:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:52 PM
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined May 2003
1,290 Posts
Might help to have pics of the actual damage, inside and out. The inside of the hull, with bare fiberglass, will generally tell you if there is damage to the glass or just gelcoat.

Where is the damage?
rcsoar4fun is online now Find More Posts by rcsoar4fun
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:55 PM
Village Idiot!
Joined Mar 2003
128 Posts
The worst is just below where the hull and keel meet. From the inside, it appears as if the fiberglass is still intact.
The lead ingot is fixed. Unsure of whether I can free it for this repair.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:17 PM
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined May 2003
1,290 Posts
Hard to tell. Could be someone forcing the lead in place or dropping the boat onto the keel.

Couple of ways to repair. One is to run some thin CA into the outer cracks, then run a layer of glass on the inside. I wouldn't grind out the gelcoat/glass. I doubt the lead is glued in there very well, or it wouldn't have busted along the side.
rcsoar4fun is online now Find More Posts by rcsoar4fun
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:44 PM
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Jul 2008
165 Posts
us 12 repair

If it where me I would check if there is delamination and go there I have a us 12 that's has a similar issues and had to make significant repairs.
later mike
ktm500mx is offline Find More Posts by ktm500mx
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:56 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
525 Posts
@tdonily:

I would think this is an area subjected to a good bit of stress. What may not look like much of a crack would open up under stress I reckon.

For me, I would make sure it is repaired properly rather than patching it up, otherwise you may be doing the job again after a few good gusts of wind or a bit of stress while handling.

Any idea how the damage was caused? Almost looks like it has been dropped on the keel or squashed or something????
mrpenguin is online now Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:48 PM
Village Idiot!
Joined Mar 2003
128 Posts
I honestly have no idea how the damage happened as this is how it was when I picked it up.
Have looked at removing the ballast to aid in the repairs, but would have to get thw epoxy loose. Thnk a heat gun would help?

Thanks again,

Travis
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:31 AM
Registered Billy
Louisville, KY
Joined Dec 2003
335 Posts
A heat gun may blister the finish or damage the resin/glass. You might try wrapping a towel around the area and pouring hot (boiling) water over the towel until the lead is loose. Much less chance of damaging the boat. Wear gloves, glasses and etc. to be safe, of course.

Brian
bkopke is offline Find More Posts by bkopke
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:45 AM
Village Idiot!
Joined Mar 2003
128 Posts
Thanks Brian,

Will give that a shot.