HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:49 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
547 Posts
Update

As I hinted in my previous post my Solius hasn't arrived in the time specified. My friendly retailer now tells me it will be next Tuesday. But, don't hold your breath guys.

Will report back as soon as I have the model in my hands.

Steve.
stevespana is online now Find More Posts by stevespana
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:19 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
547 Posts
It's arrived !!!

Yes, finally my Solius has arrived.

Going to work in half an hour so only managed a quick peek in the box at my LHS but looks great.

At the moment I've had to hide it away from swmbo but should have a couple of hours this afternoon to get a better look.

More to come later.

Steve.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:41 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
547 Posts
Well Impressed

I've now had a thorough look at the kit mainly to check that all parts are present and correct; and they are so a good start.

First Impressions.
Overall quality of the kit is up to the usual Mpx standard as can be expected. The surfaces of the elapor mouldings are lovely and smooth and aren't ruined by having all those ghastly moulding marks peppered everywhere. Additionally the myriad plastic pieces are all of the same good quality plastic as usually associated with Mpx kits.

The canopy is a rigid moulding which appears to be polystyrene based ( like rigid CD cases). Hence, it may be succeptible to scratches over time. However, it fits the elapor cockpit precisely and needs no trimming.

The kit comes complete with the Mpx spinner/prop/collet set suitable for a 5mm motor shaft. The motor mounting has hole centres at 25mm dia.

A hexaganol aluminium spar runs the length of the fuselage and lengths of CF rod are to be placed at strategic points in the airframe. There are three circular recesses in the fin which can accommodate ball bearings (supplied) to aid achieving correct CG. The CG position is moulded into the underside of the wings for easy location.

Servo recesses for rudder/elevator suit Mpx Nano/HS55's or similar 9g servos.
Servo recesses for ailerons for Mpx Tiny/High Tech equivalent/other.
I plan to fit metal geared servos all round as I've had 2 High Tech servos fail in flight with disasterous consequences.

One final point to note. The handle of the box is not in the centre which at first seems a tad strange. However, the model can be transported in the box because the tailplane is removable. I imagine that, packed in the box with the weight of the motor/esc/etc placed towards the shorter end in relation to the handle, the box will more or less balance correctly. A nice touch.

That's all for now folks. more to follow as things progress.

Steve.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:01 PM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
741 Posts
Hi stevespana!

Thanks a lot for your 'report'!
I hope you'll continue posting as you progress in assembling it and I can't wait to hear about it flying!!!

I will not be able to resist longtime before acquiring one myself :-)

Happy landings :-)
Chrizz is offline Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oxy 0.5
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:55 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
547 Posts
Chrizz,

I'll post regular updates with pics as the assembly progresses.

At the moment there's nothing to report as I've not started; need to tidy up a few loose ends to finish off a couple of other projects before I start on the Solius.

I'm really looking forward to it but I always prefer to take my time and get everything just so. Hence, my builds/assemblies tend to be longer than average.

Steve.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:03 PM
OY-5542
Joined Nov 2009
741 Posts
Sounds good! At least, I can expect at proper build from you. Not a rushed smack-together like some do...

Looking forward to hear about the progression!

:-)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:06 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
547 Posts
Chrizz,

Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Rest assured; this certainly will not be a rushed smack-together job.

I'm presently waiting for motor, esc, servos, servo leads to arrive in the post.
However, I'm going to start preparing (roughing up) the myriad plastic parts that need to be glued into the elapor fuselage shells, etc.

Steve.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:17 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,807 Posts
Cool new Glider....hope it doesn't 'tip-stall' easily like my old Cularis

p.s.
What USA dealer has it? or soon?
rclab1 is online now Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:31 PM
OY-5542
Joined Nov 2009
741 Posts
Does the Cularis have tip-stall tendencies?? Really?!

...Or is it the usual complaining about a plane, when one just needs to gain piloting skills? (isn't meant as any kind of personnal attack... no need to feel hurt)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:59 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,807 Posts
LOL....
(your right)
rclab1 is online now Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:59 PM
United States, NJ, Chatham
Joined Mar 2003
136 Posts
I spoke to the Multiplex Rep at the WRAMS show today. He said that
200 will be shipped from Germany this coming week. Normally it takes about 5 or 6 weeks to reach Multiplex in California. it looks like we should be able to get them around the end of April.

Baldy
baldy is offline Find More Posts by baldy
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:59 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
547 Posts
More Pics

I managed to grab an hour earlier this afternoon to take a few more pics of the Solius kit.

Thought you may want to see an idea of what the major parts look like out of the box. The pics aren't particularly good; the light was poor and I was a bit rushed.

Still, I hope they serve to give a small insight/overview of the model. There are some interesting construction ideas here.

Steve.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:35 AM
OY-5542
Joined Nov 2009
741 Posts
Hi stevespana!

Thank you very much for all those pictures!
It's good to see all the details and to get an exact idea of what to expect when recieveing the plane! :-)
RCG Plus Member