SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:04 AM
Joined Nov 2012
23 Posts
Build Log
My V911 paddles...

Yup, paddles! I read in a couple of places that paddles could be made for the V911, but didn't bother reading tutorials in the subject.
At a local hobby shop, Xtreme RC in Oshawa, Ontario (xtremerc.ca), I bought a replacement similar flybar and paddles from a completely different helicopter.
See the pics I made for step-by-step.
While not perfect, I'm sufficiently impressed with the results that I'll definitely try this again and take more care for accuracy. I'll also experiment with flybar lengths and paddle angles of attack.

The packages I bought for this experiment. Total cost of $15.

Clipping the weights from the V911-ish flybar.

Clipping the paddles from the other flybar.

The outside of the paddles have holes, I don't know what for, but they made perfect mounting holes when turned in. No drilling needed!

Paddles loose fitted to the flybar.

The underside of the flybar that I trimmed the paddles from had a slot.

Putting some double-sides tape on the trailing edge of the paddles let me fit them into those slots.

This let the paddles lay almost flat (close to zero angle of attack) for mounting.

The paddles fit to the flybar and glued with a drop of CA. The double sides tape helped hold all parts still.
You can see I wasn't careful enough keeping the paddles and flybar perfectly aligned.

My original V911 flybar alongside my new V911 paddles.
Unintentionally the paddle flybar was trimmed down to 37mm per side before I managed to get each end the same length and with flat ends.

Also, I didn't check parts out carefully before starting the project. The replacement V911-ish flybar had a much smaller mounting hole, less than 1/16", and even checking Canadian Tire yielded no drill bit small enough. I ended up carefully "drilling" with an X-Acto blade from each side to get the stock screw to fit the hole.

Success! The new paddles mounted on the stock shaft. Despite my hack-n-slash approach to trimming, clipping, and drilling, the new paddles balance well and have almost no wobble.

Very low angle of attack produces a small change in lift; the helicopter is more responsive to throttle input.
I have no way to video this chopper flying but it is far more responsive. I would suggest the pilot moves all control rods to inner throws, and move them out progressively as you get used to the change in handling.

I hope this was entertaining for you to read. It certainly made for a very short and inexpensive experiment (I won't assume "upgrade") for your V911 helicopter.
If I get a way to video it, I'll do that for sure.

Best wishes and best regards!
Siggypoo72 is offline Find More Posts by Siggypoo72
Last edited by Siggypoo72; Jan 30, 2013 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Proper retailer info.
to remove ads between posts