SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:48 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,723 Posts
Discussion
Silane for resin/silane for epoxy

Curious to know if anybody has ever used the 3/4 glass from thayercraft they have listed for resin rather than the smaller, narrower glass listed for use with epoxy.

What is silane? Is it simply a wetting agent or similar?

http://www.thayercraft.com/106.htm
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:53 AM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,865 Posts
Yup, I've used it, it works fine for our uses with epoxy. Here's info on the finishes used on FG http://www.thayercraft.com/finishes.htm
Dave
David Forbes is online now Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:38 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Silane is a finish the creates a molecular link between the resin and the fiberglass
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:39 AM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
6,789 Posts
Does it increase strength of the layup? Or simply make wetting out easier and more reliable?
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:57 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,723 Posts
Looks as though it does strengthen Jim
From the link David provided :Finishes are put on glass fabrics to allow a strong bond between the resin and the glass. If you take a sheet of glass and put resin on it, let it cure then try to peel it off it will easily come off, or chip off. Finishes like Volan or Silane act as intermediaries between the resin and the glass. Volan has been around a lot longer than the Silanes but I think is still one of the best finishes. Volan is generally the softest finish with the exception of some Silanes.
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:13 AM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,465 Posts
All of the above is correct. I don't think silane could be called a wetting agent in the same sense as soldering flux, it's only purpose is to increase bonding strength between epoxy and fibre. If it does help with wetting, that's only a fortunate side-effect. I have not researched this aspect, so can't really comment if and how much effect it has on wetting properties. All of the fabrics that I am aware of are treated with silane or some equivalent stuff.
jkettu is online now Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:41 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,746 Posts
IIRC, the various finishes reduce the strength of the glass fibers, but increase the strength of the bond more than enough to compensate.

Gerald
G_T is online now Find More Posts by G_T