Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:27 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
and big round Spitfire loops
Yeah, it aught to make the UM Spit perform like her full-scale hot-rod air-superiority fighter counterpart!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:34 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
might help save a dollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
The brushed and brushless motors both have 1mm diameter shafts.
excellent
Removing 9t pinion from 8.5mm shaft (0 min 52 sec)

no torch no problem
elvill is offline Find More Posts by elvill
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:40 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist_603 View Post
The helicopter that the BL tail rotor motor comes from is a 2S machine. Will not running in on half the voltage that it was designed for (1S) result in poor efficiency?
Someone who knows more about electric motors can tell us just what the trade offs are.
theorteicaly, maybe... compared to another brushless, most definatly, but compared to the brushed motor? its still better than brushed...
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:58 PM
Joined Dec 2003
360 Posts
Wow
Hawker007 is offline Find More Posts by Hawker007
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:49 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,749 Posts
i doubt its going to be a mostrous improvement (one 1S) but will be some, and will outlast the brushed motor. plus, you have the option of going 2S (i think) and that will most definalty rock!
my guess is 50g on stock p51 prop.
at any rate, iv been wanting to get some ball bearing gear boxes forthe ep51 motor, and now want them even more!
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:42 AM
Thatsright I drankthe rum
USA, MN, Robbinsdale
Joined May 2006
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Hard to tell from the picture if this one mesure DC amps or AC amps. You need something that mesure DC amps. But if I were you, I would buy a Wattmeter (check HobbyKing). Those cheap multimeter don't last long (particularly the probes), and give slow reading (one every second or so). With a wattmeter, designed for our hobby, you get instant result, and peak result (much more valuable). Trust me, much more valuable than a cheap multimeter!
will not argue worth of actual meters over wattmeter but it looks like you have one that will only measure to 250Ma...or .25 amps and it will break if more are
seen in that scale ...for amp draw you must measure in a series configuration.
but Harbor Freight sells a great little meter that got to 10amps. for 4-5$
sometimes even less or free with other purchase!
I use it ALL the time and I do own a wattmeter too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...t?q=multimeter

didnt see all the pages I was behind this thread moves pretty fast
K9000wner is offline Find More Posts by K9000wner
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by K9000wner; Feb 01, 2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:56 AM
Medellín, Colombia
Joined Apr 2010
310 Posts
this mcpx bl tail engine can be used in all UM!! hope horizon changes all bs to this bl engine
chulian1819 is offline Find More Posts by chulian1819
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:11 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9000wner View Post
will not argue worth of actual meters over wattmeter but it looks like you have one that will only measure to 250Ma...or .25 amps and it will break if more are
seen in that scale ...for amp draw you must measure in a series configuration.
but Harbor Freight sells a great little meter that got to 10amps. for 4-5$
sometimes even less or free with other purchase!
I use it ALL the time and I do own a wattmeter too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...t?q=multimeter

didnt see all the pages I was behind this thread moves pretty fast
If you have a quality voltmeter with banana plug leads, you can make a current shunt out of a length of copper household wire. Instructions are here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...36&postcount=1
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:22 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Hey Nitro ~ You got that combo running 2s yet? 2S 180 with this would be an excellent power setup! Wonder if gearbox can handle WOT 2S
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:31 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,498 Posts
Thanks for the multimeter advice guys, but I think I'll save the $$$ now and just chance it running on my ESC.

Speaking of ESCs, I was at my LHS earlier buying some Depron, and I stumbled accross a small 6a 2-3s ESC for 10 bux, so I bought it.

Problem is I cant get it to work (I am trying with 2s ) I hooked it up with the middle motor wire going to the middle, and the other 2 wires going either side. I then cut the RX plug off taped off the skinny red and black wires and then ran the white wire (signal I presume) to the RX. I plugged the thick power wires to a 2s, and plugged a 1s into the RX.

Does that sound about right so far?

I tried with the mossie brick first, I had a look at the ar6400 manual and soldered an extra wire to the brick for the esc. I then programmed it to brushless mode.

I powered up the TX and moved the throttle to full, then the RX and then the ESC.

My ESC makes a "1,2,3" melody, and then just continues to beep (I counted 100 beeps before I gave up). In the manual it says move the throttle to full then power up the ESC, it will do the "1,2,3" melody, followed by 2 short beeps at which point you should move the throttle down and wait for a long beep.

I also tried mixing the xport with throttle, and using the signal wire from there, but that didnt work either

Any ideas???

EDIT: I just ripped an orange RX out of one of my boats and tested the ESC on that and it worked right away. Any reasons why it wouldn't work with my AR6400s???
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; Feb 01, 2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:01 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
Thanks for the multimeter advice guys, but I think I'll save the $$$ now and just chance it running on my ESC.

Speaking of ESCs, I was at my LHS earlier buying some Depron, and I stumbled accross a small 6a 2-3s ESC for 10 bux, so I bought it.

Problem is I cant get it to work (I am trying with 2s ) I hooked it up with the middle motor wire going to the middle, and the other 2 wires going either side. I then cut the RX plug off taped off the skinny red and black wires and then ran the white wire (signal I presume) to the RX. I plugged the thick power wires to a 2s, and plugged a 1s into the RX.

Does that sound about right so far?

I tried with the mossie brick first, I had a look at the ar6400 manual and soldered an extra wire to the brick for the esc. I then programmed it to brushless mode.

I powered up the TX and moved the throttle to full, then the RX and then the ESC.

My ESC makes a "1,2,3" melody, and then just continues to beep (I counted 100 beeps before I gave up). In the manual it says move the throttle to full then power up the ESC, it will do the "1,2,3" melody, followed by 2 short beeps at which point you should move the throttle down and wait for a long beep.

I also tried mixing the xport with throttle, and using the signal wire from there, but that didnt work either

Any ideas???
Are you sure you don't need to rebind? I didn't see anything that you bound the rx to the tx.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:17 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Are you sure you don't need to rebind? I didn't see anything that you bound the rx to the tx.
Ok sounds promising, I'll try to rebind it now

EDIT: doesnt work, but it works everytime with the Orange RX

I even tried plugging it into the ch2 port (AILE) on the mossie brick with no mixing, still no action. But when I plug it into the orange RX aileron port the esc beeps quickly until I move the stick full left or right at which point it locks that position in as the end point.

There must be a problem with the signal wavelength or something
Last edited by valiantGLX; Feb 01, 2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:28 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Man I hate that mossey brick, could have been so much better!
you direct wired your esc to the mossey brick before the brushed esc', than went brushless out - didnt know it could do that
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:34 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvill View Post
Man I hate that mossey brick, could have been so much better!
you direct wired your esc to the mossey brick before the brushed esc', than went brushless out - didnt know it could do that
You hold the throttle stick up and to the left to switch it into BL ESC mode (for mode 2). You'll bloody well know its worked if there is a brushed motor still plugged in, the brushed motor takes off out of control at full power in BL ESC mode.

So I soldered a wire to the BL signal point, but it doesnt work with my ESC for some reason

Last edited by valiantGLX; Feb 01, 2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:49 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
You hold the throttle stick up and to the right to switch it into BL ESC mode (for mode 2). You'll bloody well know its worked if there is a brushed motor still plugged in, the brushed motor takes off out of control at full power in BL ESC mode.

So I soldered a wire to the BL signal point, but it doesnt work with my ESC for some reason
Okay figured since it was twin brushed they wouldn't bother with bl in the brick. Sure'd be nice to have 2 separate throttles (no/constant/trimming) on dsm2 brick *sigh*