HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:13 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Joined Sep 2011
2,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
valGLX,

I've been selling Nine Eagles SP & SX 8.4mm brushed motors for a year or two now.
I always ask for feedback on motor performance.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1242
I receive many PMs and get virtually no neg feedback.
Pretty incredible!

rc
Sure is. Like I said HH has no excuse!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

I thought I'd share this vid with you guys too, its pretty informative:

AP03 Brushless Motor, Choosing Propeller for 1s LiPo Power System on RC Ultra Micro Planes (6 min 33 sec)
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:01 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
The Brick provides a signal that will operate an External ESC (Brushless or Brushed).
UNGN,

I've lost the bubble - again - would you refresh me as to why only the signal is taken off the motor port, but the power directly from the battery? What's the advantage of this setup vice taking the power along with the signal from the motor port into the ESC?

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:55 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Joined Sep 2011
2,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
UNGN,

I've lost the bubble - again - would you refresh me as to why only the signal is taken off the motor port, but the power directly from the battery? What's the advantage of this setup vice taking the power along with the signal from the motor port into the ESC?

Gene K
You can wire them to the motor port, but this setup is inefficient. ESCs should in general always be connected directly to a battery for the best results
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:12 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
You can wire them to the motor port, but this setup is inefficient. ESCs should in general always be connected directly to a battery for the best results
another advantage, you wont burn out your 5-in-1 if the ESC fries and pulls too much current....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:19 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Joined Sep 2011
2,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
another advantage, you wont burn out your 5-in-1 if the ESC fries and pulls too much current....
Thats always a plus too
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:35 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
932 Posts
Great video! I have the 4000kv APO3 i bought it wanting to use it on 2s. It has lower thrust and consumes less amps than higher kv rated APO3. You may want to try the 4000kv motor on 2s to see if the amp usage is simular to the 7500 with better thrust! I don't know if it is. Thanks for the informative video. It takes a lot of time to do these.
MUTCAKE
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:40 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Joined Sep 2011
2,424 Posts
It not my video, but a great one none the less! I think the 4000kV would be awesome on 2s too, but I want to try and stick to 1s though if I can
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:04 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,136 Posts
That video is informative
Thanks to whoever made it and you or digging it up and posting it here.

Here's a screen capture of their final results chart for easy reference

Name: image.jpg
Views: 109
Size: 106.0 KB
Description:
BlazingStar is offline Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:08 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
UNGN,

Gene K
Wired this way, you don't need a special 3 pin connector for the motor block (and you don't need to solder the tiny 3 pin connector if you do have one.

All the solder joints in my diagram are easy, the plugs are cheap and available and no plugs need to be "made" other than the sgnal plug, whch is made by soldering a resistor to the signal wire and cutting off the resistor.

Making a diagram where all the wires plug into the motor block might encourage a newb to plug three stripped wires into the motor block, which can easily result in a fried brick or a battery fire.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:31 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Wired this way, you don't need a special 3 pin connector for the motor block ...
Appreciate the mechanical advantages, but can you elaborate on the electron advantages (as valiantGLX stated - more efficient).

Quote:
... soldering a resistor to the signal wire and cutting off the resistor.
As usual, you're one step ahead of my next question.

Thanks,

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:53 AM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
638 Posts
UNGN, I am puzzeled! I have one 6400 that when connected to the HK 3a ESC makes the motor stick reversed. Same ESC into a different 6400 works right and into a 415 works right.
In this one 6400 throttle is backwards. Any Ideas?

Speedy, I have 6x3 props now to try on the APO5 5000. will try sometime toay.

JCS
Gene The resistor wire is only a pin. you dont need the resister.
miatamama is offline Find More Posts by miatamama
Last edited by miatamama; Feb 04, 2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: add
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:37 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamama View Post
UNGN, I am puzzeled! I have one 6400 that when connected to the HK 3a ESC makes the motor stick reversed. Same ESC into a different 6400 works right and into a 415 works right.
In this one 6400 throttle is backwards. Any Ideas?
Its possible Brushless signal output direction is somehow reverseable through stick logic, but isn't documented.

I don't think the PKZ 3351 brick servo reversing has ever been detailed in any HH manual, but we know its possible in the latest versions of the brick.

I do know playing with the stick can get you 3 LED flashes that apparently don't "mean anything". It's possible they mean something like "reversed throttle signal direction in brushless output".
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:31 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,977 Posts
PZ gearbox is 4:1
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Fmotor%5F.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...%5Fset%5F.html
HK gearbox is 5.6:1

Would the BRUSHLESS motor still get hot on 2S with less load?

8000kv on 2s (x7.4) PZgb (4:1) = 14800 unusable due to motor overload

8000kv on 2S (x7.4) HKgb (5.6:1) = 10571 maybe more useable on 2S no prolonged WOT

@ 2/3 the rpm maybe could work yes?! or is this not how gear ratio works, did I miss something?
elvill is online now Find More Posts by elvill
Last edited by elvill; Feb 04, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:33 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,182 Posts
Elvill,

That's an 8 watt brushed pager motor, intended for 1s use. (Note the 4V 1.9A rating in the specs.) It's essentially the same as what's already in the 1s UM planes. You can't get more than 8 watts of work from an 8 watt motor - regardless of gearing or prop choice, and running these pager motors at higher-than-rated voltage will dramatically shorten their lifespan. Watts = power, and it is power absorbed by the prop that flies the plane - not Kv or unloaded RPM at rated voltage. Kv is a brushless term, BTW. Also - brushed motors under load never run anywhere near close to their unloaded RPM ratings.

We already have a simple solution for more brushed power on 1s. As others have mentioned - the Bravo SX motor puts out significantly more power than the factory UM motor, provided that a high-performance battery is used. An SX-equipped Sukhoi XP can easily climb straight up out of a hover on a 5043 prop & a Hyp 240 cell.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 04, 2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:39 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Elvill,

That's an 8 watt brushed pager motor...

Joel
sorry if I was unclear - talking about the gearbox made for 8mm brushed, but use the gearbox with the BL motor on 2S in this thread.

thinking b/c it is less load on the 8mm brushless motor it might be better than the Parkzone gearbox i.e may not overheat the motor and still give good thrust

The BL motor is 8000kv, the HK GB is 5.6 to 1 as opposed to PZ GB is 4:1, which means the 8000 kv BL motor has less load than on PZ gb.
elvill is online now Find More Posts by elvill
Last edited by elvill; Feb 04, 2013 at 04:08 PM.