HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:46 AM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
875 Posts
How is this plane going to handle a grass field. Like most of us have.
tele1974 is offline Find More Posts by tele1974
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:32 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1974 View Post
Also, I'm still wondering about the LG:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
................Looking at the LG attachment in the manual (http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/EFL10250-Manual_EN.pdf)
will the LG, and the LG attachment point, be strong enough to withstand the occasional indelicate landing of this 5.5 lb bird?......
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:47 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,540 Posts
......don't get me wrong......I think the Splendor should be way cool......and I'm seriously thinking about getting one when they're available........

......but, I'm just askin'..........

Awkward Silence Cricket Sound (0 min 5 sec)
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:06 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1974 View Post
if you have a look at the modelflight un-boxing you can see the wire and wheels with the wire not covered by the plastic cover. To me it looks like the VA and CZ Yak which i fly both off grass and have no problems, i think the Splendor will be the same. I will have this one when it returns from the Gratton Air Show and it will have been flown by Mike McConville so should be well worn in for an amateur like myself

Anyway i'll be flying from our normal grass spots so will report back then

cheers chuck

E-Flite Carbon Z Splendor Preview Video (3 min 41 sec)
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:09 AM
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Hi Everyone,
The CZ Splendor would be release to market very soon, perhaps as soon as by the end of this month. …..I cannot you guys to try this plane.
The CZ Splendor it is a scale down from my 2 meter latest competition Splendor. It is absolutely my latest idea in design for precision aerobatics. The VisionAire was release few weeks back and was our first park size (PKZ) plane with AS3X (AR635 RX) and design for sport flyers to fly 3D Aerobatics. The CZ Splendor it is our first E-Flite airplane with AS3X technology design for sport flyers to fly precision aerobatics.
This plane it is not small and has some big power!...1,300 watts turning that APC 14x7 with great authority and top speed! This gives to the plane the great top speed need to fly big precision aerobatic maneuvers with enough power that duplicate what you get with top precision competition precision ships. You go at high speed and up line around throttle and you adjust your speed with less or more throttle to keep constant your speed….yes it would accelerate during high speed up lines!. Plus this bird has a great presence.
The AS3X give to the CZ Splendor an absolutely lock in feeling. It feels like you are flying the expensive $4,000 2 meter ship!
It will operate with no problem from grass or asphalt and the gear mount it is design to carry the load.
The plane also would do 3D aerobatics, this allow you to enjoy with same plane that segment of the aerobatics.
The CZ Splendor it is very close to my roots, precision aerobatics is what I compete all my life. It is my passion and the Splendor reflects that. All my years flying this type of aerobatic reach the pick of my experience and we put all together with the Splendor.
The plane comes with a Y connector so you can use (2) 3s LiPo battery pack.

Soon it would be here and again I cannot wait for you guys to put your hands on.

Thanks.

Quique Somenzini
Horizon Hobby
Quique Somenzini is offline Find More Posts by Quique Somenzini
Last edited by Quique Somenzini; Feb 15, 2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Forgot to add HH
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:43 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quique Somenzini View Post
......The CZ Splendor it is very close to my roots, precision aerobatics is what I compete all my life. It is my passion and the Splendor reflects that. All my years flying this type of aerobatic reach the pick of my experience and we put all together with the Splendor......
Quique Somenzini
Horizon Hobby
I feel myself inexorably being drawn in........by an attraction far beyond feeble human power..............resistance is futile..........

Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:49 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,778 Posts
Quite the salesman.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:04 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,910 Posts
Now I am excited! Now for a Horizon 2M pattern!!
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:13 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,861 Posts
I will get one of these -
The little Vision Aire has been the best ARF I ever flew -
It is easy to fly and goes where you point it - and stays there .
Having built hundreds of pattern planes and IMAC/ TOC types etc., i remember the time spent in getting it all "just right".
My son and I still enjoy flying pattern and this approach simply cuts to the chase -
grab it and go fly-
QuiQue has the approach nailed - including using wire gear - I loath those rigid "coolgear' which gut the model if you stick a wheel in a gopher hole .
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:55 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Also, I'm still wondering about the LG:
The VisionAire has similar setup- I have one .
I also dislike designs with stiff gear (typically flat aluminium or carbon Fibre The first thing to go should be the gear - it should flatten or bend
I bought a beautiful Yak -with aluminum gear -and just setting it down gently resulted in the gear rotating the mounting plate from the bulkheads - common failure point
I changed that gear as well as many othe ARFS over to a wire structure which crossed the belly -just like an old Sig Kadet
these setups just bend and popping em off allows you to fix em.
The big CF gear on 2 meter gear and some CF arfs up to 40% are also a pain- they catch a hole or whatever and crack out the belly of the model - -wire is still best medium -then cover it to suit your sense of style.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:18 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
......QuiQue has the approach nailed - including using wire gear......
Thanks, it's good to hear that strong vote of confidence in the LG and the LG attachment.

I'm going to get either the Visionaire or the Splendor........just waiting to see the Splendor in the LHS.......and make the choice!

Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:22 PM
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Thank you Richard for your comments. Also you are right about the wire gear. This is best way. Wire it is only way to 3 dimensional distribute the load.
Thanks.

Quique Somenzini
Horizon Hobby
Quique Somenzini is offline Find More Posts by Quique Somenzini
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:57 PM
Speed, give me all I need ...
Serbia, Belgrade
Joined Dec 2009
83 Posts
Can someone please tell if a 5S 5000mAh would fit in, or what is the max battery size that would fit in? I am not concerned about the additional weight as it is only 100g extra.

Regarding the installed motor on 5S, I would suggest 15x10 for precision and 16x8 for freestyle, the same I am using on Hacker A50 12S (492kV) and 5S.

cheers
Velco is offline Find More Posts by Velco
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:03 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,861 Posts
the 5000 pack is quite a bit larger - we use em in pairs on 2mm models
The additional amp req'd for those bigger props is another issue
BUT what one flier like -another flier may not .
My feeling is that weight be kept to minimums needed to give performance desired.
also, speed needed for performance (maneuverability) desired- is less as wing loading decreases.
To me this is the desireable approach
At 4350 ft elevation- we are concerned with loadings.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:49 AM
Speed, give me all I need ...
Serbia, Belgrade
Joined Dec 2009
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
the 5000 pack is quite a bit larger - we use em in pairs on 2mm models
The additional amp req'd for those bigger props is another issue
BUT what one flier like -another flier may not .
My feeling is that weight be kept to minimums needed to give performance desired.
also, speed needed for performance (maneuverability) desired- is less as wing loading decreases.
To me this is the desireable approach
At 4350 ft elevation- we are concerned with loadings.
I do have a 2m bird (Sickle) and many 5S 5000 bats. 5S 5000 pack is not that much larger from a suggested 6S 3200, cca 100g which on a 2,5kg airplane should not be an issue.
The included 60A ESC can handle the additional Amps from a 15x10 or 16x8 5S combo.
I was looking for a plane that I can keep in my car without having to worry about the heat during the summer, as my Miss Wind 50 is not suitable for such things.

cheers
Velco is offline Find More Posts by Velco