HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2003, 01:39 PM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Rave
Finally did my first flight today, on my corona

Since my last try, with the ESC BEC going full speed alone, I was quite tense.

Everything worked fine and I loved it
I will now add the canopy to give it a normal look, and I will also place the Copilot to do a review of it.

http://plawner.net/video/first_flight_corona.wmv
or
http://plawner.net/video/first_flight_corona.rm

Videos are downloading now, so give it 5 minutes before loading them.

And yes, speak about stress, as you can see on the picture...

Patrick.
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2003, 02:02 PM
Hooked Heli Human
Western NC
Joined Dec 2002
1,556 Posts
haha congrats... the facial expressoins in the video show the concentration i remember my first hover... the fun just keeps getting better now..
gmaster is offline Find More Posts by gmaster
Old Dec 25, 2003, 02:06 PM
---------Speed!!---------
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
Hey, Christmas must have a different feel in Israel!

Good looking hover.

Matt.....
Heli Mod Man is offline Find More Posts by Heli Mod Man
Old Dec 25, 2003, 03:51 PM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Thanks guys.

Yes, I was tense. What I am afraid is not that the helicopter would crash, but that something would go wrong and the helicopter would injure someone.

I feel that I am controling a "flying Guillotine". My friend Oded got hit on his hand, by a blade, full speed and was ok.

Did anyone of you got hurt by it, any feedback ? Is is as dangerous I am afraid of or in fact not ??
Old Dec 25, 2003, 06:17 PM
Hooked Heli Human
Western NC
Joined Dec 2002
1,556 Posts
well.. as for accidents... i make SURE before, during, after every flight that I have the area clear and enough room just in case something would happen and I would have to ditch it into the ground. I sometimes have kids watch when I hover but I make sure they understand this isnt a toy.. that it will injure so please to stand back.. if they dont stand back.. I dont hover.. i will pack it up and hover another day.. usually they understand and enjoy watchin from a safe distance..

with full rotor speed it could take a finger off im sure.. safety first always

I remember one time.. probably my 4th time hovering.. it was very windy that day.. but i took it to my friends house across town because he was going to film it for me.. well... we waited and waited for the wind to die down and it finally did so I spun it up and started to hover.. long enough for him to take some pictures.. and then he got his camcorder... i spun it up and took off the ground about 5-6 feet up... when all of a sudden a BIG gust of wind came out of nowhere and it caught me off guard.. being a total newbie and all.. i quickly tried to recover.. and the wind took my corona VERY close to my friend who was similar to your friend filming... i quickly cut power and forward cyclic because if i had not.. it would of hit him or the camera.. well the only damage was to my ego (heh) and the battery popped out of the voyager landing gear when it hit the dirt...

mark it down lesson learned.. and now i give more space when I am hovering and my friend takes pics or video..

have fun.. but always keep it safe..
Last edited by gmaster; Dec 25, 2003 at 06:21 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2003, 06:52 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2002
1,183 Posts
Hey Patrick,

Nice and steady hover... Well done!! About time for you to try some forward flight.

Helis are definitely more dangerous than your average airplane.. However, with a fixed pitch heli like the Corona, the only good thing is that the main rotor is usually not turning as fast as a collective pitch heli, especially when you are just hovering around.. That said, I am ALWAYS careful to make sure there isn't anyone around when I start flying, and ALWAYS warn people to stay away, especially to control their dogs when I see them coming closer..

I'm especially nervous when I fly my Logo 10 since I estimate my headspeed at around 1700RPM and the long CF blades really store lots of energy..

A number of rules I fly by:
1. Conduct a range test before first flight of the day.
2. If there are people or dogs close by, the heli stays on the ground unless I've talked and warned the people before I start the heli.
3. NEVER hover or fly below 15 feet. If I plan to hover below 15 feet to track my blades, testing, etc. then the field MUST be empty.
4. BEFORE bringing the heli below 15 feet, look around to make sure that the environment is clear of people, dogs, and kids. If there are people, warn them before bringing the heli in.
5. At the first sign of ANY glitch, LAND, subject to rules 2 & 3 above.
6. NEVER try any maneuvers that I have not practiced and mastered on the simulator. Helis can drop out of the sky very much faster than any plane I've flown..

Greg
gregw is offline Find More Posts by gregw
Old Dec 25, 2003, 06:54 PM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
gmaster,

So you know the feeling as well.
Sometimes, I think 1 screw going loose, and the entire heli could become uncontrolable.

I am maybe a little paranoid with this but I still feel not secure about this mechanical system, that fly with high RPM blades.

Did this fear go away, and fade away to you, with time ?
Old Dec 25, 2003, 06:59 PM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Greg,

one question for the hovering.
Why do you think it is safer to be higher ?
I hover very low because I thought it was safer, like any thing going awkward and I would just cut the throttle.

Thanks for sharing your rules, it helps as I build mine, out of common sense, and the zero experience with heli I have... The zero experience is where I know I am very not confortable.

Thanks,
Patrick.
Old Dec 25, 2003, 07:17 PM
Hooked Heli Human
Western NC
Joined Dec 2002
1,556 Posts
Patrick.. over time you will gain more confidence.. i guess its like everything else.. i look at your post count and i KNOW you have a lot of experience with r/c with everything else.. it is mechanical and there is always a chance of something failing.. just like anything else.. always do once over before and after every hover.. make sure everything looks secure.. and you should be good to go.. just like greg said.. i too have simliar rituals that i do before and after every flight... once you do it enough its like 2nd nature you dont even think about it you just do it naturally.

have fun.. and Happy New Year
Old Dec 25, 2003, 07:36 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2002
1,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Plawner
Greg,

one question for the hovering.
Why do you think it is safer to be higher ?
I hover very low because I thought it was safer, like any thing going awkward and I would just cut the throttle.

Thanks for sharing your rules, it helps as I build mine, out of common sense, and the zero experience with heli I have... The zero experience is where I know I am very not confortable.

Thanks,
Patrick.
Hi Patrick,

Since I'm no longer at the hovering stage, I feel much more comfortable flying my heli higher since it offers less possibility of an accident occuring if someone would walk by without me seeing them..

At the learning stage that you are at, I can understand that you will feel nervous when your Corona is flying higher than 2 or 3 feet, but it is a fact that the Corona is also much easier to handle when it is out of ground effect and flying higher will make it easier for you to learn. I still remember feeling exactly this way when I first started with my Corona.

IMHO, slamming down the throttle isn't a good response to learn for flying a heli. You should always try to fly it out of trouble, not just to cut the throttle. This is especially so when you go with a collective pitch heli since by slaming down on the throttle/pitch stick, you are actually literally slamming the heli into the ground due to negative pitch. Not a good thing to do.

Greg
gregw is offline Find More Posts by gregw
Old Dec 26, 2003, 05:39 AM
sydney
Joined Apr 2001
22 Posts
Patrick,

this is a little off topic but what landing gear are you using?

vic
vic2001 is offline Find More Posts by vic2001
Old Dec 26, 2003, 05:51 AM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Landing gear is called Voyager landing gear.

It fits well, get attached very easily, and then it is so easy to change the battery pack.
The CG needs a little work but piece of cake anyway.

One of the "extremely nice to have" upgrade for the corona. Actually, this is the only upgrade I did cause I really don't like to waste time on removing canopies, etc... + it provides so much space inside the cockpit, since the battery is then below the helicopter.

Patrick.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 07:33 AM
Creteil, France
Joined Nov 2003
474 Posts
Patrick,

Are you using Mega 15/16/3 or 16/15/3?
The video says 15/16/3 but I can only find 16/15/3 on the Mega website

Vincent
vpersiani is offline Find More Posts by vpersiani
Old Dec 26, 2003, 07:47 AM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts

I missed this one.
Yes, it is the 16/15/3. I'll recompile the video with the proper naming.

Thanks for letting me know.
Last edited by Patrick Plawner; Dec 26, 2003 at 07:53 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2004, 12:50 PM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Today was soooo nice.
On a fresh cycled GP3300, I got 14:30 of hovering.

Everything today went fine. Gyros behaving fine, no weird noise, no sudden sharp moves. Just few nice flights.

The FMA CoPilot is still on, and I turn it ON and OFF regularly to see the differences.

Today was pretty windy but it had little impact, just I was more carefull due to some possible wind sudden blows.

I actually advanced today, and did not just hover. I did side hovering and going backward and forward, also from the side.

I am sure it sounds pretty simple... but it was stressful for me, I can tell you that. I think with all the technical problems I had, I need to gain the trust back of the heli, then I will be less stressed, I suppose.