HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:21 PM
Registered User
Tomdomification's Avatar
Joined Sep 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan dunford View Post
Hey Guys...I am one of the lucky ones that has been fortunate enough to be part of the adventure that is Vaterra.

I have had the luxury to drive each of the vehicles and help with them as I could. I am a product manager at Horizon Hobby just so you know who I am.

Off the top of my head, the questions I've read, here are some answers...
Kemora - ton of fun, based off the mini 8 platform so it is super durable and very fast.

Kalahari - same idea. between the two, the tires on the Kalahari would be better for a little bit of grass but I dont know that either of them would do great in tall grass.

Twin hammers - it is a shift on the fly manual 2 speed tranny, it is a ton of fun. Even my Fiance likes it, lol and that is a huge stretch.

Glamis - yes, it really does go 55+MPH..on multiple passes, without a hill or tailwind, lol. We tested other brands and found these numbers to often be rather false and so we wanted to give real numbers. I have found recently I can fit a bigger pinion and still have more than enough torque to pop wheelies easily and go even faster...so much raw power and speed with this.

VTV - you are correct in that it is more like a limited slip with fluid friction plates, basically when it needs some diff action, it works, when you grab the throttle, it limits slip and thus for a 2wd vehicle, it makes the Glamis SUPER Fun, especially in sand. I actually couldnt beleive how much fun it is. I like the model(soemthing) guys video on it...he says its fast like 5 times towards the end of the video, haha.

Anywho, hope you all have a great day.
Thanks for the info, an yes, you sure are lucky :-)

As I'm on a budget, I would have to choose between the 1/14ths. I prefer the look of the Kemora but as you mentioned, the Kalahari has bigger (?) tyres and might suit me better. I sure both would be fine as my sister can run her 1/18th scale LOSI mini desert buggy on the kind of grass in thinking of.

Anyway, I can't wait for more user videos!

Tom
Tomdomification is offline Find More Posts by Tomdomification
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:37 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
major.monogram's Avatar
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Thanks Ryan for the insight. I can't wait to see the twin hammer in person. I think I might end up pulling the trigger on the glamis though if I can wrestle the wallet out of my wife's hand that is.

Just as I said that I realized I could rock crawl and haul with the hammer...Lol. What to do?



Edit:// So Ryan, any word on BND or ARTR versions of these vehicles? Come to think of it, does HH do this for any surface products, atm?
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
Last edited by major.monogram; Feb 08, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:51 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2008
88 Posts
I received my Kemora in the mail last Wed and have been really happy with it. To give you some background on me, I have been mostly into electric rc planes and a big fan of the Parkzone planes and Horizon Hobby in general. So when I saw they had come out with the Vaterra brand, I was pretty comfortable purchasing one without waiting on reviews. So let me tell you about my experience.
Out of the box, everything looked great. I did find myself wishing they had packaged it like they do with their planes, where the box is also a carrying case. I've always thought that was smart thinking on their part. But like I said everything looked good. The only real issue I've run into is either a charger or battery problem. The first two times I charged the battery, waited until the light turned green and got the beep, it only ran the car for about a minute. Now I have found that if it shows fully charged, I disconnect the battery, reconnect it and start the charge again, it seems to get a full charge. I think you can expect about 15-20 min on a charge? (this is an approximation, I have not actually timed it and the amount of driving time will also be based on your driving style of course)
As for how the Kemora drives, it's been nothing but fun. There is a caveat here though. When I ordered the Kemora online, I also ordered some 1/10 scale HPI type A drift tires. I wasn't sure if they would fit or be the right size, but they were just slightly smaller than stock and look pretty good. The stock tires are soft a grippy, which I'm sure will be fantastic in the dirt and gravel, but because I was only going to be able to run it on the street (for now) I haven't even driven it with the stock tires. The HPI drift tires have enough traction to get up and go, but also allow you to brake into a slide that is a lot of fun in a parking lot. I haven't been able to do long drfts with it yet, but I'm working up to that.
As for how fast it is, I was a little disappointed when I read that it would only do 25mph with the stock battery and that the lipo which claims to take it to 45+mph may not be available until mid March. (I bought an eFlight lipo but it ended up being too large, so it's in my Radian now) That being said, I guess I didn't have a clear idea what 25mph feels like, because this car just takes off like a shot! Granted, I don't have any experience with high performance hobby grade RC cars, but it feels pretty fast to me. When I have had friends come over and drive, I put the throttle control on low and they are really impressed with how quick it is, then I switch it to high and they're just blown away.
One thing that threw me off initially, but that I'm getting a bit more used to, is the 'smart brake' feature on the esc. You have two options for throttle control, forward and brake, or forward and reverse with 'smart brake'. 'Smart brake' means that when you move the throttle position from forward to neutral the car brakes. So if you go from a forward throttle position to reverse the car stops instead of quickly going to reverse. To get it to go in reverse you need to move the throttle position back to neutral for a moment, then back to reverse. The same holds true for going from forward to reverse. Like I said, this was initially a bit uncomfortable, but understanding how this decreases wear and tear on the gears, as well as, how fun it is to bring the Kemora in fast and then slam on the brakes sending it into a side skid, I'm getting accustomed to it.
So all in all, I'm very happy with the Kemora and I'm really looking forward to taking it off-road and trying out the stock tires. I may look into upgrading the charger if I continue to have issues. (this was typed on my phone, so I'll apologize now for any errors)

I'd be curious to hear what other recent Kemora owners think about the car.

Steve
Steve4ustin is offline Find More Posts by Steve4ustin
Last edited by Steve4ustin; Feb 09, 2013 at 09:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:07 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,433 Posts
That lipo that is supposed to almost double the speed, is it 3S or so? Usually the speed increase when going from 6 cell NiMh to lipo is about 10 to 15%.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:34 PM
Registered User
tulz43's Avatar
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,774 Posts
A 3s lipo is much more powerful than a round cell pack. I could maybe see a 2s lipo being closer to 10 to 15% more powerful. But with a lipo you also get a flatter discharge curve.


Thanks for the info Ryan. I know I'm getting the glamis. I've gotta scratch and itch and drive a buggy in the sand. But I also have a rock crawler/racer itch. So I think the twin hammers is in my future as well.
tulz43 is offline Find More Posts by tulz43
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:56 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,433 Posts
25 mph can already feel pretty fast on a smaller car. Especially if it has good acceleration.

Btw, that "smart braking" is not a new feature. I've seen it on several cars before, and it takes indeed a little getting used to, when you first experience it. But it will be much easier on the brushes (if the motor has these) and the transmission so it certainly has it's merits. Imagine putting your regular 1:1 car in reverse and mashing the throttle when going fast on the freeway...
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:39 PM
Registered User
Tomdomification's Avatar
Joined Sep 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve4ustin View Post
I received my Kemora in the mail last Wed and have been really happy with it. To give you some background on me, I have been mostly into electric rc planes and a big fan of the Parkzone planes and Horizon Hobby in general. So when I saw they had come out with the Vaterra brand, I was pretty comfortable purchasing one without waiting on reviews. So let me tell you about my experience.
Out of the box, everything looked great. I did find myself wishing they had packaged it like they do with their planes, where the box is also a carrying case. I've always thought that was smart thinking on their part. But like I said everything looked good. The only real issue I've run into is either a charger or battery problem. The first two times I charged the battery, waited until the light turned green and got the beep, it only ran the car for about a minute. Now I have found that if it shows fully charged, I disconnect the battery, reconnect it and start the charge again, it seems to get a full charge. I think you can expect about 15-20 min on a charge? (this is an approximation, I have not actually timed it and the amount of driving time will also be based on your driving style of course)
As for how the Kemora drives, it's been nothing but fun. There is a caveat here though. When I ordered the Kemora online, I also ordered some 1/10 scale HPI type A drift tires. I wasn't sure if they would fit or be the right size, but they were just slightly smaller than stock and look pretty good. The stock tires are soft a grippy, which I'm sure will be fantastic in the dirt and gravel, but because I was only going to be able to run it on the street (for now) I haven't even driven it with the stock tires. The HPI drift tires have enough traction to get up and go, but also allow you to brake into a slide that is a lot of fun in a parking lot. I haven't been able to do long drfts with it yet, but I'm working up to that.
As for how fast it is, I was a little disappointed when I read that it would only do 25mph with the stock battery and that the lipo which claims to take it to 45+mph may not be available until mid March. (I bought an eFlight lipo but it ended up being too large, so it's in my Radian now) That being said, I guess I didn't have a clear idea what 25mph feels like, because this car just takes off like a shot! Granted, I don't have any experience with high performance hobby grade RC cars, but it feels pretty fast to me. When I have had friends come over and drive, I put the throttle control on low and they are really impressed with how quick it is, then I switch it to high and they're just blown away.
One thing that threw me off initially, but that I'm getting a bit more used to, is the 'smart brake' feature on the esc. You have two options for throttle control, forward and brake, or forward and reverse with 'smart brake'. 'Smart brake' means that when you move the throttle position from forward to neutral the car brakes. So if you go from a forward throttle position to reverse the car stops instead of quickly going to reverse. To get it to go in reverse you need to move the throttle position back to neutral for a moment, then back to reverse. The same holds true for going from forward to reverse. Like I said, this was initially a bit uncomfortable, but understanding how this decreases wear and tear on the gears, as well as, how fun it is to bring the Kemora in fast and then slam on the brakes sending it into a side skid, I'm getting accustomed to it.
So all in all, I'm very happy with the Kemora and I'm really looking forward to taking it off-road and trying out the stock tires. I may look into upgrading the charger if I continue to have issues. (this was typed on my phone, so I'll apologize now for any errors)

I'd be curious to hear what other recent Kemora owners think about the car.

Steve
Thanks so much for this review! It's great to hear from someone who also flies planes.

It's funny about the charger but sometimes my old Parkzone charger would do the same thing. Am I correct in saying that the batteries use an EC3 connector? If they do, I can use my Accucel 6 to charge them.

Also, the smart brake gives me something to think about as my sisters 1/18th scale mini desert buggy by LOSI, doesnt seem to have this.

Anyway, the car sound great and I can't wait to hear about your off-road experience :-)

Tom

PS. Have you tried it on grass eg. Backyards, parks etc?
Tomdomification is offline Find More Posts by Tomdomification
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:31 PM
Registered User
Tomdomification's Avatar
Joined Sep 2011
288 Posts
I'm seeing quite a few Twin Hammer view on YouTube but hardly any of the other cars :-(

Tom
Tomdomification is offline Find More Posts by Tomdomification
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:40 PM
Registered User
tulz43's Avatar
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,774 Posts
Nothin you all haven't seen... but I snapped a couple pics of the Twin Hammer at pacific coast hobbies today.


Untitled by tulz43, on Flickr


Untitled by tulz43, on Flickr
tulz43 is offline Find More Posts by tulz43
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:12 AM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
major.monogram's Avatar
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Did you happen to see how the roll cage detaches from the Twin Hammer tulz? I know that was an issue with the Exo Terra.
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:41 AM
Registered User
tulz43's Avatar
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by major.monogram View Post
Did you happen to see how the roll cage detaches from the Twin Hammer tulz? I know that was an issue with the Exo Terra.
I did not. But it should be at least a lot easier to change batteries. You can see the battery strap in the back.
tulz43 is offline Find More Posts by tulz43
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:53 PM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
BigD1961's Avatar
United States, KY, Leitchfield
Joined Jul 2008
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulz43 View Post
Nothin you all haven't seen... but I snapped a couple pics of the Twin Hammer at pacific coast hobbies today.


Untitled by tulz43, on Flickr


Untitled by tulz43, on Flickr
It is advertised as having lights, did you notice any and where?
BigD1961 is offline Find More Posts by BigD1961
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More SEFF pics.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:24 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,433 Posts
First picture, those 2 white "dishes" on the "bonnet". And 4 more on the roof.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:58 PM
Registered User
tulz43's Avatar
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,774 Posts
They are dummy lights. You have to buy led's yourself.
tulz43 is offline Find More Posts by tulz43
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:30 PM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
BigD1961's Avatar
United States, KY, Leitchfield
Joined Jul 2008
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulz43 View Post
They are dummy lights. You have to buy led's yourself.
Guys, I don't know about you, but to advertise "scale lights" as part of the features is bordering on false advertisment. Mind you, I am still excited about it, and I plan on getting one, but that's a MAJOR dissapointment to me to read "scale lights" and realize that it means, "scale fake lights". Look at the Axial Wraith, a main competetor, and it has real LED lights.
I also went on to youtube to check some early reviews and at least one person has already had the servo that shifts the rear end fail. I hope it not a sign of things to come.
Man, I hope I am not going to be dissapointed in this car, I am a BIG Horizon Hobby fan and I expect their stuff to be top notch.
We will see.
BigD1961 is offline Find More Posts by BigD1961
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More SEFF pics.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article Horizon Hobby's Hangar 9 Brand P-40 ARF Review tailskid2 Fuel Warbirds 8 Feb 26, 2013 04:31 AM
Article Horizon Hobby's Hangar 9 Brand Ultimate Trainer P-51 Mustang PTS ARF Review raythomas Beginner Training Area (Fuel) 11 Feb 28, 2010 04:29 PM
Article Horizon Hobby's Seagull Brand Laser 1.20 ARF Review tailskid2 Giant Scale Airplanes 5 Jun 28, 2008 04:42 PM
Article Horizon Hobby's E-flite Brand Blade CP RTF Micro Heli -- Stock & Upgraded Performan Hoverup Micro Helis 4 Aug 20, 2005 10:44 PM
Article Horizon Hobby's ParkZone Brand Super Decathlon Electric RTF Review Mitch G Electric Plane Talk 4 Jun 15, 2005 10:10 PM