Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 24, 2013, 02:39 AM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by risive View Post
Yes I have calibrated both in er9x and Mission Planner.
Great! So, can you do another video showing the outputs on your 9x screen?

Cheers,
Geoff
gbmarsh is offline Find More Posts by gbmarsh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2013, 05:12 AM
United Kingdom, Fleet
Joined Mar 2007
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollgi View Post
I need some advice as well, please.
I am tuning my first copter( hexacopter) with Ardu 2.5 3.0.6rc.
It flies very well in stab and acro, but when I go in loiter the engines 'sputter',
it stays nicely in place, and does what it should, eccept the engines sort of pulsate.
I guess that I have to adjust some loiter values, but doing it for the first time I am not sure how,
the amount of different adjustments is just hard to get the head around.
Before you tune you need to establish what your vibration levels are like. AltH and Loiter are both very sensitive to vibration.

Run RAW logging (or IMU if v3.0.0) and grab the logs for a short flight with a stable hover. Then look at the X, Y and Z axis vibration levels in the log output.
griffog is offline Find More Posts by griffog
Old Jun 24, 2013, 06:40 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,629 Posts
I really dont understand why I have such a hard time getting my APM2.5 to auto level, but I finally did it. I actually had to start the motors on a flat surface and then carry it to the takeoff area with motors idling. If I tried just holding the yaw full right and down while in the takeoff area and get it to do the 3 LED sequence it was all over the place. When it finally hovered, it was solid. This is about the 3rd time I've had to do it too. It will be good for many flights and then it loses its mind and I dont know if it's connectors or the board.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:32 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,158 Posts
Quote:
...It flies very well in stab and acro, but when I go in loiter the engines 'sputter'...
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffog View Post
Before you tune you need to establish what your vibration levels are like. AltH and Loiter are both very sensitive to vibration...
If it still 'sputters' once you have your vibration levels OK, the parameter to adjust is Throttle_Accel_P, most likely you will lower it to begin with.
Throttle_Accel_I can be set to twice the value of Throttle_Accel_P.
When the motors are running smoothly, work on Throttle_Rate_P and Altitude_Hold_P, if needed, to achieve a stable alt.hold.

/J
JNJO is offline Find More Posts by JNJO
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:18 PM
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2013
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
Very Nice!! I've never used the custom switches, I will have to try this.

Thanks for the pointer!
Before I found/figured out the custom switches I was working with mixing as well but those custom switches make it so much easier to assign any output value to any switch configuration... plus the display of mode via the flight phase/mode - I always kept forgetting what switch position made what mode on the APM
AirDet is offline Find More Posts by AirDet
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:40 PM
Quit Cryin and Get Flyin
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined May 2013
1,691 Posts
Quote:
I need some advice as well, please.
I am tuning my first copter( hexacopter) with Ardu 2.5 3.0.6rc.
It flies very well in stab and acro, but when I go in loiter the engines 'sputter',
it stays nicely in place, and does what it should, eccept the engines sort of pulsate.
I guess that I have to adjust some loiter values, but doing it for the first time I am not sure how,
the amount of different adjustments is just hard to get the head around.

Thanks!
This happened on my business partners hex, we both have our APM's in 3-D robotics cases so we didn't think much about shielding the barometer from light because the foam is already there, but he actually has his under a dome and he put black construction paper inside that dome to block the light from getting to the case, after that it flies absolutely perfect in 3.0.

Just some food for thought make sure the barometer not only shielded from prop wash, But light as well
Quadmd is offline Find More Posts by Quadmd
Old Jun 24, 2013, 01:31 PM
Quit Cryin and Get Flyin
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined May 2013
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDet View Post
Before I found/figured out the custom switches I was working with mixing as well but those custom switches make it so much easier to assign any output value to any switch configuration... plus the display of mode via the flight phase/mode - I always kept forgetting what switch position made what mode on the APM

That's what I like about having the modes on the screen, I had one friend of mine that said "I don't look at my screen when I fly" and I told him if I forget what mode I'm in I can glance at mine. With 6 flight modes it can get kind of hectic to remember what goes where but I try to keep it simple and the same. I just wish they had more than 5 flight modes in OpenTX.

But life can't be perfect
Quadmd is offline Find More Posts by Quadmd
Old Jun 24, 2013, 01:55 PM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Sydenham
Joined Jan 2012
6,404 Posts
does er9x display the modes on screen?
if so is there a post about setting it up?
irun4fundotca is online now Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2013, 01:57 PM
Norway
Joined May 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmarsh View Post
Great! So, can you do another video showing the outputs on your 9x screen?

Cheers,
Geoff
I have now tried a complete different system, a cheap 2.4 tx/rx I had lying around and the result is exactly the same as with my Turnigy/Frsky combo. Roll and pitch are acting strange. I feel its safe to say that tx/rx is not the problem, and I beleive the fault must be in the APM somehow. Don't know what more to do now actually. Could have tried PPM but don't have any receivers capable of that.
Runing Mission Planner on win7 64bit, but guess that shouldn't be an issue.
Is my card messed up in some way? It is an RCTimer ArduFlyer.

I must also add that if I connect only roll (Ch1) or pitch (Ch2) to the APM I get response in both Roll and Pitch in the MissionPlanner.
risive is online now Find More Posts by risive
Last edited by risive; Jun 24, 2013 at 02:07 PM. Reason: additional info
Old Jun 24, 2013, 01:59 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irun4fundotca View Post
does er9x display the modes on screen?
if so is there a post about setting it up?
Don't think so... Open9x does it by using custom switches and naming flight phases.

Cheers,
Geoff
Old Jun 24, 2013, 02:01 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by risive View Post
I have now tried a complete different system, a cheap 2.4 tx/rx I had lying around and the result is exactly the same as with my Turnigy/Frsky combo. Roll and pitch are acting strange. I feel its safe to say that tx/rx is not the problem, and I beleive the fault must be in the APM somehow. Don't know what more to do now actually. Could have tried PPM but don't have any receivers capable of that.
Runing Mission Planner on win7 64bit, but guess that shouldn't be an issue.
Is my card messed up in some way? It is an RCTimer ArduFlyer.
Hmm, only thing I can suggest is to do an erase/reset and reload the firmware.

Cheers,
Geoff
Old Jun 24, 2013, 02:10 PM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Sydenham
Joined Jan 2012
6,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmarsh View Post
Don't think so... Open9x does it by using custom switches and naming flight phases.

Cheers,
Geoff
Ahh ok
I installed a 6 position switch on one of my pots and was deciding whether or not to mount leds to the 2nd poles on the switch and drill the 3mm holes for each mode as I have a different color for each,but my drill gave up the ghost a while back
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2013, 02:53 PM
United States, NV, Pahrump
Joined Feb 2013
495 Posts
Sorry for the dumb question but what is the difference between the Minim OSD and the MavLink OSD? Do they need to be used with each other or are they just like different models of each other?
trickedout is offline Find More Posts by trickedout
Old Jun 24, 2013, 02:56 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickedout View Post
Sorry for the dumb question but what is the difference between the Minim OSD and the MavLink OSD? Do they need to be used with each other or are they just like different models of each other?
This^^^
Old Jun 24, 2013, 02:58 PM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Sydenham
Joined Jan 2012
6,404 Posts
they do both use mavlink commands tho ..yes?
RCG Plus Member