HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:50 PM
Joined Aug 2012
79 Posts
Hello, I am building a TBS Discovery with APM 2.5+ with ublox gps and I'm running into a weird issue.

With power going through the Power Module, I get 0 satcount, and on USB power, I get 10+ satelites instantly.

I've checked it by having the APM powered only by USB power, logging on the PC. I get solid 10+ satelites. As soon as I attach external power (ie: battery, lab-grade DC powersupply, etc), satelite drops down to zero. I also did a test on the console, by typing test command, and gps. same results there.

I've tried grounded aluminum foil wrapped around the power module to see if that is it, no dice. This is the second Power Module that is doing this, first one went back and got replaced because I thought the problem was the power module.

I hope you guys can tell me what I need to do to fix this... Thanks in advance.
maxmus is offline Find More Posts by maxmus
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:01 PM
Quiet Achiever
Joined Feb 2008
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmus View Post
Hello, I am building a TBS Discovery with APM 2.5+ with ublox gps and I'm running into a weird issue.

With power going through the Power Module, I get 0 satcount, and on USB power, I get 10+ satelites instantly.

I've checked it by having the APM powered only by USB power, logging on the PC. I get solid 10+ satelites. As soon as I attach external power (ie: battery, lab-grade DC powersupply, etc), satelite drops down to zero. I also did a test on the console, by typing test command, and gps. same results there.

I've tried grounded aluminum foil wrapped around the power module to see if that is it, no dice. This is the second Power Module that is doing this, first one went back and got replaced because I thought the problem was the power module.

Try Lipo power with the GoPro turned off....GoPro's emit huge RF Noise from rear of case...I see your GPS Antenna is too close to the GoPro
RYBAT is online now Find More Posts by RYBAT
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:04 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmus View Post

Are you using the TBS power distro system...the one built into the frame plate? Is so, you may be picking up 'noise' from that. Also having your GPS antenna so close to your GoPro (noisey camera) may be an issue. I put my camera and VTX (with antenna) up front and my Rx and GPS antenna's in the back and have no problems with sat locks. I'm using the RCT CN06 GPS as well as their current sensor.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:08 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,030 Posts
I am impressed with this board.... everything is on stock setting other than some minor alt hold tuning.... this thing flies autonamous very well, however I need to tune the stabilzation in order to get better smooth flying.

anyway very nice board, I ordered three more

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:08 PM
Joined Aug 2012
79 Posts
Thanks for the fast replies gentlemen.

The above test was done with everything un-powered. Gopro didn't have power, the video TX did not have power. Only things that had power were the ESC's and APM and GPS and the 3DR Power Module.

I am not using the TBS Core powersupply.

Even if the noises were the cause, the problem wouldn't go away by running USB power right? This is very weird... :/

I will try and see if the TBS's distribution board in the frame is causing the issue, by powering up the frame and powering up the apm separate via USB.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:35 PM
Click eagle to read my blog
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
tried it didnt work should i try rx to rx and tx to tx?
"it didn't work" offers no clues.

do any LEDs light up on the GPS ? does it have any LEDs ?

Are you testing indoors or outdoors ?

How long did you wait ?

How did you determine it didn't work ?

Which connector on ArduFlyer 2.5 are you connecting the GPS to. ?
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:42 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
"it didn't work" offers no clues.

do any LEDs light up on the GPS ? does it have any LEDs ?

Are you testing indoors or outdoors ?

How long did you wait ?

How did you determine it didn't work ?

Which connector on ArduFlyer 2.5 are you connecting the GPS to. ?
I tried in terminal: test then gps
It never communicated.

I am connecting it to the side molex connector labeled GPS as per the diagram posted.

Also, keep in mind I am dealing with the readytoflyer from witespy. it has just the side facing gps female port.
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Last edited by Wingbreaker; Feb 22, 2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:52 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,112 Posts
Quote:
It never communicated.

I am connecting it to the side molex connector labeled GPS as per the diagram posted.

Also, keep in mind I am dealing with the readytoflyer from witespy. it has just the side facing gps female port.
can you post a photo ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:02 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,664 Posts
all photos are post a few pages back.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:13 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,112 Posts
Quote:
all photos are post a few pages back.
I was thinking a current photo of how you connected it, saves a lot of questions.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:47 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,664 Posts

Quote:
I was thinking a current photo of how you connected it, saves a lot of questions.
I connected as per other member's instruction.

Gnd to 1
tx to 3
rx to 4
vcc to vin 2 and tried 6 1pps too.

from the gps board to the side gps female molex (upper left position of board in the pic) to the 4 pin points or solder locations of the gps module.
Last edited by Wingbreaker; Feb 22, 2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:15 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,112 Posts
Quote:

I connected as per other member's instruction.
I have no idea where he got those connections from - THEY ARE WRONG

It is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING when trying to help you and you do not answer my questions and also cannot be bothered to take a CURRENT [that means as it now is] photo.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:56 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,664 Posts
What's there to show? I am using the old connection.

Quote:
It never communicated.

I am not running the same board as your picture. it doesnt have the new gps molex female. You basically are telling me the same thing the other guy told me but just different wiring. I can take a picture but it will just show you the side (old gps port as I stated) wired the way the guy said. I'd wire to the new gps port but I dont have it. A photo would look just like the pic of the board I posted, no new gps port and no other molex connectors.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:01 PM
Joined Aug 2012
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Are you using the TBS power distro system...the one built into the frame plate? Is so, you may be picking up 'noise' from that. Also having your GPS antenna so close to your GoPro (noisey camera) may be an issue. I put my camera and VTX (with antenna) up front and my Rx and GPS antenna's in the back and have no problems with sat locks. I'm using the RCT CN06 GPS as well as their current sensor.
You were correct, the distribution system built into the frame plate was causing a havoc on the APM's GPS. Its sitting about 5mm off the bottom plate, and everything is kosher.

Thank you so much, for some reason I didn't even think of the plate at all.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:11 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,664 Posts
Quote:
I have no idea where he got those connections from - THEY ARE WRONG

It is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING when trying to help you and you do not answer my questions and also cannot be bothered to take a CURRENT [that means as it now is] photo.

hey that worked, thanks. next question. I am running power from one of my ESCs through one of the inputs. I read running power from the esc is not the greatest idea on this. IS that true? I do have a power sensor from 3dr : http://store.diydrones.com/APM_Power...apmpwrdean.htm Since this board doesnt have the molex for it on there would you know what connector i should buy to connect it? I contacted 3dr, they might sell the little connections but no reply yet.