SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:35 AM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Temse
Joined Dec 2004
340 Posts
@ Scalefan,
Connecting the APM true usb is no problem, it’s when I try to connect to the APM with the wireless setup.

will try to remove the MP and reinstal

Ben
Benovitch is online now Find More Posts by Benovitch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:02 AM
Click eagle to read my blog
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benovitch View Post
@ Scalefan,
Connecting the APM true usb is no problem, itís when I try to connect to the APM with the wireless setup.

will try to remove the MP and reinstal

Ben
Make sure you disconnect USB from ArduFlyer before you try to connect using 3DRadio.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:41 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,884 Posts
you should add for french users
http://apm2-fr.info/wiki/Accueil
titeuf007 is offline Find More Posts by titeuf007
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:01 PM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Temse
Joined Dec 2004
340 Posts
I just removed and installed all the MP software again. Connection true USB works fine. When I plug in the ground receiver the drivers are loaded. I open MP and connect true USB and check everything’s working. Then disconnect with the button. Remove the APM from the pc and connect my BEC and air receiver. Power up the APM the green and red LED begins to flash, I open MP and set the baudrate to 57K and hit connect. Wait for 30 sec and then, ‘ no heartbeats from APM’ although the red leds on the receivers ar blinking almost steady. The one on the ground station is not as bright as the air station.
tis screen commes up after the attempt.

So no luck so far.

Ben
Benovitch is online now Find More Posts by Benovitch
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:24 PM
Schweiz, AG, Schneisingen
Joined Mar 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
Benovitch

I am guessing you are trying all this with ArduFlyer powered by USB ?

You cannot connect to Mission Planner normal operations with 3DRadio if your ArduFlyer is connected to USB

For 3DRadio to work fully with Mission planner - ArduFlyer needs to be powered from Lipo via BEC or UBEC - ArduFlyer USB must be disconnected -.

also review the information here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=254
in essence wrong
you can connect to a beaglbone for example.
in this case the usb host interface would power the apm.
in case you have the mavlink proxy installed an on other port a radio
then you have still a functional connection with the groundstation.
robert b is offline Find More Posts by robert b
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:53 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
Ben,

We are at the same level of the process, getting the card and GPS to work, not getting telemetry to work. I haven't tried the wireless telemetry yet, figured I'd skip that and just get the Hex to fly stable using the tuning parameters in the Mission Planner. Now I am waiting for minor repair parts, so I am shut down.

Perhaps one of the experienced people can give us a step by step instruction, written for a noob, on getting the 915 wireless telemetry to work. The transmitter plugs into the controller and the receiver plugs into a USB port on the computer, so that part seems easy.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:28 PM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochaboy View Post
We're going to try to make some sense out of the firehose of information surrounding the ArduPilot Mega Project so I'm going to build a link index to all the latest information and do my best to keep it up to date.

Here goes nothing...

PSA: As you embark on your journey - please take a moment to consider the following:
* These are not toys. In fact they're flying bricks with spinning razor blades. Please treat them accordingly. OR ELSE
* The moment you lift off, you become an ambassador for the hobby. DO NO HARM.
* We want you to be successful. Build in stages, don't try to do it all at one time.

LINK Index (This is a link dump for now - I will organize it to be more readable as time goes on)
FAQ
* Where do I start?
* Ok, I get it - Now spend my money.

Core
* APM Features

== Flight Controller ==
* ArduPilot Mega Project site
* Arducopter Wiki
* ArduPlane Wiki
* MinimOSD
* APM 2.9 Release Thread

== OSD ==

== GPS ==

== 3DR Telemetry ==

== Bluetooth ==

== Sonar ==

Helpful Posts
* ACRO Mode implementation Support ACRO Mode development - chime in and say "I fly ACRO!"
* Chris Anderson on the clone debate
* APM 2.5 Pinout
* APM 2.5 Board Overview
* Connection Diagram for APM 2.5 Board
* GPS Pinouts
* APM 2.5 Board Review
* Flitetest APM 2.5 Board Review
* 3DR Radio Info
* Product Photos
* Connector reference thread
* Powering your board via UBEC
* GPS FTDI Connection Diagram
* Foam mod for your barometric pressure sensor
* Reasons for NOT using or relying on ESC BEC
* Programming ATMEGA32U2 on ArduFlyer 2.5 when Atmel FLIP doesn't work
* Reliable way to calibrate ESC One At A Time
* Extend wires from Lipo to ESC or ESC to Motor ? effect of wires on Compass

Tools
* Download Mission Planner
* Bluetooth Configurator
* UCenter (for UBlox GPS configuration)

Setup Guides
* Jumpy07's Setup Guide (offsite)
* First Flight
* Arducopter Quick Start Guide
* Dave C's PID Tuning Guide - String Method
* Loading Optimized 3DR GPS configurations and what it LOADS
* Arducopter PID Tuning Wiki
* MinimOSD Setup Video
* How to configure your radio for different flight modes

Troubleshooting
* 3DR Radio Connections

Vendors
* 3DRobotics Original
* UAVObjects (US)
* RCTimer (Much further away)
* Digikey (for custom connectors)
* Pololu Connectors, Robotic gear

UAV Milestones
* UAV Outback Challenge 2012 - APM stands on top

Great post Mochaboy will be very useful for others... many thanx
Jumpy07 is offline Find More Posts by Jumpy07
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:32 PM
Radd Graduate '06
United States, MA, Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpy07 View Post
Great post Mochaboy will be very useful for others... many thanx
You started this madness - I'm just the secretary :P
Mochaboy is offline Find More Posts by Mochaboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:09 PM
Radd Graduate '06
United States, MA, Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
I just wanted to point this out because of how thorough an explanation this poster gave on the subject.

I had to dig through 40 pages on DIYDrones to find it, but here it is:

http://itsqv.homeserver.com/wiki/ind...otor_Balancing
Mochaboy is offline Find More Posts by Mochaboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:29 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2010
769 Posts
We all must say A very big thank you to Jumpy and Mochaboy for making this journey with the APM 2.5 much more straightforward as theve done the hard work and plotted every thing together in one place,Marty.
NEAGRON is online now Find More Posts by NEAGRON
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:47 PM
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,463 Posts
I'm trying to config my Minimum OSD using you video as guide. I get error message that states" Failed to talk to bootloader". I can't get any further.
Thanks for your help,
Neal
Nobert is online now Find More Posts by Nobert
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:47 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert b View Post
in essence wrong
you can connect to a beaglbone for example.
in this case the usb host interface would power the apm.
in case you have the mavlink proxy installed an on other port a radio
then you have still a functional connection with the groundstation.
I did write
Quote:
You cannot connect to Mission Planner normal operations with 3DRadio if your ArduFlyer is connected to USB
I am trying to help a Noob connect 3DRadio for the first time, how does all that mumbo jumbo you posted about some poxy cadaver help him ?

How would a Noob understand any of that, and is it in any way whatsoever relevant at this point ?

I Know you can connect to 3DRadio for SETUP and not for NORMAL Mission Planner operations when ArduFlyer is powered by USB.

See reply below
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Jan 30, 2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:07 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benovitch View Post
I just removed and installed all the MP software again. Connection true USB works fine. When I plug in the ground receiver the drivers are loaded. I open MP and connect true USB and check everything’s working. Then disconnect with the button. Remove the APM from the pc and connect my BEC and air receiver. Power up the APM the green and red LED begins to flash, I open MP and set the baudrate to 57K and hit connect. Wait for 30 sec and then, ‘ no heartbeats from APM’ although the red leds on the receivers ar blinking almost steady. The one on the ground station is not as bright as the air station.
tis screen commes up after the attempt.

So no luck so far.

Ben
It may be that your 3DRadio - either one or both are internally set for the wrong baud rate -

Assuming both of your Ground and Air stations are set to the same baudrate

Try to connect from within Mission planner to initially determine what baud rate your 3DRadios are set to, details below

Using 3DRadio with ArduFlyer can be very confusing at first and even after you are comfortable with it there are a few traps.

You cannot use 3DRadio to Connect to Mission Planner if ArduFlyer is connected to and powered from USB, however you can test 3DRadio when powered that way which is useful while in the bench testing stage..

3DRadio can only be used for normal Mission Planner Connect when ArduFlyer powered by a BEC and the USB connector to ArduFlyer MUST be disconnected.

First determine exactly which COM Port the Arduflyer USB is connected to by connecting and disconnecting ArduFlyer USB while observing which COM Port appears and the disappears from Device Manger. Make a note of this COM Port number.

Next determine exactly which COM Port the 3DRadio USB is connected to by connecting and disconnecting 3DRadio USB while observing which COM Port appears and the disappears from Device Manger. Also make a note of that COM Port number.

In my case ArduFlyer USB is connected to COM14, 3DRadio Ground Station is connected by a separate USB connector to COM17

Be aware that there are 2 different Baud rates

Direct USB to Arduflyer connection is at 115200 Baud.

3DRadio Ground Station USB connection is at 57600 Baud.

If Arduflyer is powered by being connected to USB it cannot be used for normal Mission Planner Connect operations, this is what occurs if you try to connect to Mission planner using 3DRadio even though I have selected the correct COM Port and the correct Baud Rate for my 3DRadio. The reason is ArduFlyer USB is plugged in.

The same error can occur if the 3DRadio internally has been set to a Baud Rate other than 57600 - which may be your problem -

You can test the 3DRadio and alter settings from within Mission Planner when ArduFlyer is powered by USB or by BEC

DO NOT CLICK ON CONNECT

Select Correct COM Port number
Select Baud Rate 57600
Click on Configuration
Click on Load Settings

NOTE: your Min an Max frequencies will be different, mine are set up for Australia

If it fails, try another Baud rate then Click on Load Settings until it connects and fills the boxes with details

Try all the available baud Rates ONE AT A TIME

Once you can get your 3DRadio to connect at a particular Baud Rate.

Hopefully both Air and Ground stations will both respond at the same Baud Rate.

See the box labelled Baud with 57 as the value ?
edit both of yours to 57
click Save Settings.

That should change the Baud Rate on both stations to the correct 57600 Baud, wait until completed then shut down Mission Planner, switch off all hardware, switch on again and run Mission Planner at 57600 Baud to confirm both stations now work and can connect to Mission Planner Normal Operations at 57600 baud.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Jan 30, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:15 PM
Fully Sick Bro!
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Nov 2012
360 Posts
This is a very helpful page but it's missing one thing I wanna know when using arduplane does the AMP power your servos from the BEC through itself? If so would a 7amp UBEC be enough to power 8 9g servos?
jarred1993 is offline Find More Posts by jarred1993
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:16 PM
Joined May 2012
6 Posts
Thank you for putting your time in this.
firenrescue is offline Find More Posts by firenrescue