Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:10 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Harwood1 View Post
Just want to make sure, its Elwood Beach Cliffs in the Rcgroups maps right?
Hiya Donny:

The bluff at Elwood Beach is one of two places we typically fly during Weaselfest.

The flying site is here: 34.419009,-119.889486
Primary parking is on Coronado Drive and the trailhead is here: 34.423614,-119.889644
Alternate parking is on Santa Barbara Shores Drive and the trailhead is here: 34.424116,-119.89337

Sometimes the wind favors Knapps Castle (The Ruins) and we end up there instead.

That flying site is here: 34.519393,-119.792722

You get there by driving up the San Marcos Pass Road (154) and turning right at either Painted Cave Road or E. Camino Cielo. The lift at The Ruins can be HUGE.

You can copy the lat-long coordinates and paste them into Google Maps or Google Earth to see exactly where to go.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Last edited by PGR; Mar 09, 2013 at 04:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:50 PM
Fallin with Style (slopeing)
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Aug 2011
134 Posts
Thanks for the information Pete.
Donny Harwood1 is offline Find More Posts by Donny Harwood1
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:12 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR View Post
The bluff at Elwood Beach is one of two places we typically fly during Weaselfest.

Sometimes the wind favors Knapps Castle (The Ruins) and we end up there instead.
Simple solutions to complex problems:
http://www.sbslopers.org/index.php?pid=2

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:04 AM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
Simple solutions to complex problems:
http://www.sbslopers.org/index.php?pid=2

Steve
Likely this will be repeated again and again, but we've got many different flying sites for the various directions of wind so as the event nears there will be postings with regards to which day go where. All I can hope for is that it's like the past couple years where people get to see two different sites...

And there's another "simple solution" to this problem too:

http://www.sbslopers.org/index.php?pid=3
macinr is offline Find More Posts by macinr
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:10 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
My younger son's birthday party is going to be Saturday, so I won't be able to make that day - but Sunday should be no problem.

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:19 PM
Sky Surfers
USA, ID, Hailey
Joined Apr 2005
2,434 Posts
Quote:
My younger son's birthday party is going to be Saturday, so I won't be able to make that day - but Sunday should be no problem.

Steve
Happy Birthday Paulo!

Which brings up the subject of when folks will be showing up for the event?
I'll be shooting for Friday-Monday sorta thing to make the most of my drive .

Pete in Idaho
-=RCpeterV=- is offline Find More Posts by -=RCpeterV=-
Last edited by -=RCpeterV=-; Feb 25, 2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:01 PM
__Jackass Savant__
United States, CA, Oxnard
Joined Feb 2005
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Pretty sure this is the 10th annual... someone really ought to do one!!

Steve
Didn't the green shirt that John did have a axis logo that was a 10th of some sort? Was that the 2010 shirt Im thinking of???[confused]
theBOZman is offline Find More Posts by theBOZman
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:11 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
That was the Weasel's 10th anniversary. This is WeaselFest's 10th annual running

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by surfimp; Mar 01, 2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:15 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,029 Posts
Here's a thread announcing the "2nd annual Weaselfest" in 2004...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=weaselfest
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:26 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up&Away View Post
Here's a thread announcing the "2nd annual Weaselfest" in 2004...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=weaselfest
You never cease to be a PITA do you?

Unfortunately, you have more than met your match in this skillset!!

"While this “fly-in” was never explicitly referred to as a “WeaselFest” by name, that was the term that Michael Richter and I used when referring to the idea of having Weasel pilots get together and do a fun fly. Furthermore, I did make passing reference to this meeting as “a Weaselfest” in one of my flyWeasel mailing list responses to David Martin on June 9, 2003. To the best of my knowledge, this was the first time the word was publicly used in reference to R/C gliders. With that said, this event was much more of a “buddies getting together to fly” rather than the sort of intentional gathering characteristic of later ’Fests, so to avoid chronological confusions it’s probably best to think of this as “WeaselFest: Zero” or the “Proto-WeaselFest.” A prequel, if you will."

Source: Wei Wu Wei: A Brief History of WeaselFest by Steve Lange, RC Soaring Digest, July 2007

In furtherance of my scorched earth policy, I have also gone back and edited the OP

XOXOX,
Steve

RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:22 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,029 Posts
Quote:
You never cease to be a PITA do you?

Unfortunately, you have more than met your match in this skillset!!

"While this “fly-in” was never explicitly referred to as a “WeaselFest” by name, that was the term that Michael Richter and I used when referring to the idea of having Weasel pilots get together and do a fun fly. Furthermore, I did make passing reference to this meeting as “a Weaselfest” in one of my flyWeasel mailing list responses to David Martin on June 9, 2003. To the best of my knowledge, this was the first time the word was publicly used in reference to R/C gliders. With that said, this event was much more of a “buddies getting together to fly” rather than the sort of intentional gathering characteristic of later ’Fests, so to avoid chronological confusions it’s probably best to think of this as “WeaselFest: Zero” or the “Proto-WeaselFest.” A prequel, if you will."

Source: Wei Wu Wei: A Brief History of WeaselFest by Steve Lange, RC Soaring Digest, July 2007

In furtherance of my scorched earth policy, I have also gone back and edited the OP

XOXOX,
Steve

Psst, have you seen pages 38-42 of that issue?

What PITA? In 2004 the second Weaselfest = 2003 the first Weaselfest = 2013 the tenth Weaselfest.
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:26 AM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,201 Posts
woah - memories...

"Jun 20, 2004, 10:38 PM
#372 Report
macinr

hey - sunday was my 2nd day of slope flying too, ever."
macinr is offline Find More Posts by macinr
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:39 AM
S.L.O.P.E.
San Diego
Joined May 2005
3,492 Posts
All this discussion, arguing over what number Weaselfest this is detracts from the spirit of the Weaselfest. which is more of a laid back gathering of super diverse slope addicts centered around a great plane, the Weasel.

I've gotten the kitchen pass and will be heading to SB for the fest, and I'll try and drag PISMO with me. which should be easier nows he's lost a boatload of weight.

Greg
howsthewind is offline Find More Posts by howsthewind
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:23 AM
__Jackass Savant__
United States, CA, Oxnard
Joined Feb 2005
2,505 Posts
[rolls eyes] All this *discussion* about the date is for artwork for the shirts.
theBOZman is offline Find More Posts by theBOZman
Old Mar 01, 2013, 12:49 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Hey Greg sorry if it came across that way - I wrote it fully tongue in cheek to tease Rene a bit!

Since 2004 was the first official WeaselFest, that makes this year the 10th occurrence of the event... hence "10th Annual" running of the event, at least the way I see it. But whatever - to your point, lets just fly! I really don't have an emotional investment in this at all.

Sorry if my probably ill advised attempt at playfulness came across differently, I bear no ill will to anyone, especially not Rene

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by surfimp; Mar 01, 2013 at 01:01 PM.