Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:48 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by series57r View Post
A Sukhoi was donated to me along with a DX5. This is the guts I am using
in the Curtiss, is this the AR6400 Brick?
I was told this is an older Sukhoi and the newer ones are different?

I was thinking it is the same as in the Dh Mosquito but being new have not dissected it. Also bought a GeeBee R2 with gyro and bigger(?) motor
so I suspect this one is different?

Lots to learn
The original SU26m Sukhoi has an AR6400, the newer XP has a AR6400L with long throw servos.

The Mosquito has a AR6400T with twin 2 amp brushed ESC's, long throw servos, but no external ESC capability (so it can't use a brushless esc on the throttle channel)

The GB uses a 2S brushless, AS3X stabilized version of the AR6400L... it also has ballbearing servos with larger motors.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:13 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,823 Posts
[QUOTE=series57r;24022611]
Quote:
How do I get permission to use the oven!
Get some cojones ... or more wisely, give her more money to go shopping. The foam doesn't cook off fumes at that low setting, so she won't know you used the stove (and you won't poison anyone).

Quote:
Will look for the UHU Por.
Hard to find in the US, but worth the effort. Here's a link with some sources. I ordered mine in eBay from Europe a couple of years ago - in bulk it came out to less than four dollars/tube, including shipping. Note that the smaller tube from HobbyKing mentioned in the thread is a good, inexpensive substitute, but it's not Por. As for Creative, Michaels used to carry it years ago, but I think you'll have trouble finding it readily available in the US now.

Quote:
...Frogtape Delicate Surface. Place to buy it from?
Easy to find - Walmart.

Quote:
A Sukhoi was donated to me along with a DX5...is this the AR6400 Brick? ...the newer ones are different?
Yes, that's the AR6400. The later Su-26XP has a different version (basically longer servo movements) and better individual servos. That brick is definitely NOT the same as in the Gee Bee or Mosquito. In that regard, there are many versions of the 6400, so you'll have to do some studying. The RCGroups search engine is outstanding!

As for the DX5, I think you'll be much, much better off with a more capable and reliable starter transmitter like the DX6i or a HobbyKing clone (get used to the word HobbyKing and explore their website). There are many testimonials here on RCGroups stating how much more enjoyable/reliable flying was after moving up/away from the DX5. If you stay with this hobby, after something like the DX6i, invest in an even more capable (and expensive) radio.

Quote:
Also bought a GeeBee ... so I suspect this one is different?
A whole different ballgame in all respects! The GeeBee is for intermediate pilots, and despite the AS3X stabilization, can be a handful. I definitely wouldn't use a DX5 with it, but of course there are folks who brag that they don need no steenkin expo, range, precision, or reliability.

For starters, most everyone agrees that the HobbyZone Champ and an RC Simulator is the way to go ... then something like the Su-26, then whatever, including the GeeBee.

Have a great time catching up on flying - RCGroups is your best resource!

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:06 AM
Joined May 2012
1,067 Posts
Quote:
... Will look for the UHU Por.

Lots to learn
I've been using a product found in Walmart ... Liquid Stitch. Somebody here suggested that it was almost the same as the UHU Por.

I been using it with foam and it seems to be getting the job done. The best part is ... I can get it locally when ever I need it.

Not that I'm knocking them out as fast as all you guys!
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:28 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,838 Posts
Great! UHU has been proving increasingly tricky/pricey to find.. for me at east.
Hobby King Glue white tube for a Buck.. works. But not impressively imo. Besides the supply is erratic .. at best.
Foam safe Ca does too, but a crunchy /crusty joint results and it takes forever to set. Even with water spritz as accelerant.
So Where?(department/area) in Wally Mart is the Stitch stuff located? Some direction is required.
One could be eaten by the walking dead in That Place... if unwary :-)
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:52 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Great! UHU has been proving increasingly tricky/pricey to find.. for me at east.
Hobby King Glue white tube for a Buck.. works. But not impressively imo. Besides the supply is erratic .. at best.
Foam safe Ca does too, but a crunchy /crusty joint results and it takes forever to set. Even with water spritz as accelerant.
So Where?(department/area) in Wally Mart is the Stitch stuff located? Some direction is required.
One could be eaten by the walking dead in That Place... if unwary :-)
For Foam glues in Walmart, look in the craft section (Clothing patterns, craft paints, etc)
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:51 PM
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
Possibly the best rapid and usefully education I have ever received
on any subject

Top notch group ya'll are!

Cant wait to put it all together in the next depron project.
Depron is neat stuff.

The Sukhoi WAS one squirmy bird. Ailerons were way more than I needed!

The Mosquito flies realy easy. Managed to hit a tree and bung it up a little.
Turned 6inches to late. My fault.

The Gee Bee R2 is great to fly. On rails. Fast!

Stocked up on Carbon Fiber rod and sticks, amazing the tech we have available.
So far have used it on the Curtiss and to add spar strength to the Mosquito and GB.
On the GB this was done in a manner that added a little washout and any flexing will
happen in the direction of more washout.

I realy like the Mosquito and hope it last awhile.
When I do manage to kill it, should be perfect for the Curtiss America Flying Boat.
Might start building this in anticipation
Actually might move slower and be better built than the little Curtiss. This one
turns out to be the Curtiss MF trainer. Never did find 3 views of this one.

http://travelforaircraft.wordpress.c...f-flying-boat/

Camera will be home tonight! might rain tomorrow so no floating pics.
Will post some indoor pics.

Thanks Again for helping me have fun with this stuff!
series57r is offline Find More Posts by series57r
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:29 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,823 Posts
Quote:
The Sukhoi WAS one squirmy bird. ... the Mosquito flies realy easy... The Gee Bee R2 is great to fly.
I thought you said you only flew control line in the distance past???(and some helis more recently?) If so, you're a natural and have transitioned to RC airplanes far faster than anyone I've known! Amazing, and congratulations.

Quote:
... the Curtiss MF trainer. Never did find 3 views of this one.
Well, after the fact, like this?

I also have some very good Paul Matt drawings of the MF-6-K, but you're more likely to want something more like the attached.

Gene K
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:24 PM
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
Wow Speed!
Thank you for the MF drawings
Were have you been been my whole life! Well the last week at least
If I build another MF will correct it to this drawing.

The Model H America is great! This will save me time and confusion.
Could not find that one with Google. The H-12 and H-16 drawing is as close as Google image search found

That is the Drawing of the MF I never found.
Did a Google image search and closest I found was as near as I could tell a Model 1 or F depending on where I looked. What I have apparently built is a short upper wing span MF. Looks good at least.

[I thought you said you only flew control line in the distance past???(and some helis more recently?) If so, you're a natural and have transitioned to RC airplanes far faster than anyone I've known! Amazing, and congratulations.]

After C/L flew rubber powered scale for a short time then R/C for X? long.

I thought that I had talked a little about my R/C flying some 30(?) years ago.
May be not?
Flew some high wing loading scale in the .60 engine range and a few scale
aerobatic. Laser 300 was my favorite one for aerobatics.
My last Futaba 6 ch had servo reversing, dual rate and expo but as new as that
tech was mostly left all settings at zero(?) been along time now.

Some where in there I remember R/C cars, interest was short lived on that!

The Coaxial Copter thing is since Christmas this year and loosing interest fast.

I really enjoy the micro planes. 4 plus chanels and apparently micro retracts are coming soon. Never would have dreamed this was possible.
An indoor site would be the ultimate, looking for one now. Think the school gym is going to be a go.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:35 PM
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
Found this list of online PDFs just now.
Looks useful.

http://www.firelightgroups.com/airplane3views/
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:23 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,823 Posts
Quote:
Found this list of online PDFs just now.
Excellent ref site - thanks. The Paul Matt drawings of the MF-6-K that I mentioned are there.

Gene K
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:38 PM
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Excellent ref site - thanks. The Paul Matt drawings of the MF-6-K that I mentioned are there.

Gene K
A Google on the MF-6-K brought up the site I posted.

Wow the workmanship on the micros here is incredibly good.
I also see your partly responsible for a few of mtflyr's airplanes.
Are you selling any kits?

One thing I have not figured out is how to roll the Depron to shape as in the fuselage of mtflyr current Micro Nieuport-11
The search engine did not return anything related, possibly I have not figured out the correct wording for the search.

Do you have a link or proper wording for search?
Would help as so far all I have done is crunch, crush and wrinkle it or not phase
it at all
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:51 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,823 Posts
Quote:
I also see your partly responsible for a few of mtflyr's airplanes. Are you selling any kits?
No, sorry, I don't do kits. I like to one-off "engineer" to produce a short kit, and Pete likes to put it all together, so it's a great relationship (in my book).

Quote:
One thing I have not figured out is how to roll the Depron to shape
Most important - Depron has grain, so always plan your pieces accordingly and always roll with the grain. For smaller pieces, use a small rod and roll the piece in your palm. Larger pieces can be rolled over a round table edge or on a tube, as a PVC pipe. NOTE that paper-plate foam generally has no grain and is brittle, so it will crack if you try to roll it very much!!!!

Also note that I cover my Depron with tissue before I roll it, thus preventing the outside of the curved surface from creasing (there will be creases on the inside where the foam is crushed. You can help the roll by scoring the inside surface before rolling.

Pete applies packing tape to the outside of the foam before rolling, and removes it after the piece is formed.

I show some of the what I do here in the Nieuport Tissue Printing "Tutorial"

Fun!

Gene K
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:56 AM
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
Pete
Thanks for the tips on rolling the Depron.

Working on, fixing to post, Not so good close up pictures.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:15 AM
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
Do not have a clue as to what all these tiny symbols on the camera are for.
I know on is for close ups, needs younger opperator
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:20 AM
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
Next!