HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2013, 01:12 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Save your cowl blisters. They may come in handy on some future project.
Good call! Thanks Tom. I've been distracted from this project by my son's birthday present...nothing fancy...just a nice shelf to store his airplanes and cars on. It's done, but I gotta get things cleaned up.

It's a bummer when life gets in the way of the hobby...but it's a hobby and it has to take a back seat at times.
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 01:26 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,306 Posts
When I was a kid, my Dad built a shelf for me, too. I put cars and airplanes on it. That was 55 years ago. I still remember it.

Your son will, too.

Makes it all worth while.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 07, 2013, 02:22 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,468 Posts
My Dad made me build my own danged shelves...Thanks, Pop.lol.

Chestnut trees don't grow that big anymore-19" wide. One piece !
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old Mar 07, 2013, 02:24 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirzeppu View Post
I received the FG parts from fibertechnmore.com. they are really nice. I am glad I don't have to work with the plastic pieces that came with the kit.

On that note...if anyone wants my plastic stuff...pay shipping and its yours.
PM'd thanks...We'll see how close they come to 'Coupe parts.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:55 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,133 Posts
There was no room for shelves like that in the covered wagon I grewed up in
Fred
Crowfly is offline Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:49 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,353 Posts
Got the right wing partially ready for initial frame up. Already applying what I learned on the LH side and it should be a bit better fit. Looking forward to seeing if it is.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:19 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,353 Posts
Finished up my trip tonight and had some time to start framing up the right wing. I'm not posting play by play because the process is identical to the left wing (with some added checks that I learned from mistakes made on the LH wing):

Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:06 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,306 Posts
Nice !
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:57 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,353 Posts
I love how this kit rewards your work along the way. One spends a lot of time in pre-assembly and it gets really tedious but then you get moments like sliding the joiner box home and seeing how it all fits so nicely. Pretty cool:

Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:01 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,306 Posts
Building provides it's own rewards. There's no feeling quite like it.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:03 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,865 Posts
I'm finishing a Sig 1/6 scale J-3 Cub IC to electric power conversion. I'm trying to avoid getting final building and finishing steps out of sequence and having to redo or work arounds. I made a detailed list of things to do and kept resequencing it until I got it right ( or think so) BTW, here's a pic of my Pat Tritle 58" w/s Stinson Reliant SR-10 short kit build bashed into my more favorite SR-7 configuration and trimmed out as Pepsi-Cola's1937 executive aircraft. A guy in Georgia copied my Pepsi-Cola trim on his Top Flite SR-9. Graphics are from Callie Graphics. Model was extensively rebuilt after the right wing strut detached and wing slid off mounting tubes. I haven't had the "nads" to re-maiden it yet. Model has functional doors, panelled cabin with seats and instrument panel done in my "folk art" style. Covering is Solarfilm white with lower temp Coverlite dark blue trim. Solarfilm is the most opaque of standard coverings. On your larger model I would use Solartex, available from Balsa USA.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Mar 11, 2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:25 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,334 Posts
That 1st photo is exceptional.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:24 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
I'm finishing a Sig 1/6 scale J-3 Cub IC to electric power conversion. I'm trying to avoid getting final building and finishing steps out of sequence and having to redo or work arounds. I made a detailed list of things to do and kept resequencing it until I got it right ( or think so) BTW, here's a pic of my Pat Tritle 58" w/s Stinson Reliant SR-10 short kit build bashed into my more favorite SR-7 configuration and trimmed out as Pepsi-Cola's1937 executive aircraft. A guy in Georgia copied my Pepsi-Cola trim on his Top Flite SR-9. Graphics are from Callie Graphics. Model was extensively rebuilt after the right wing strut detached and wing slid off mounting tubes. I haven't had the "nads" to re-maiden it yet. Model has functional doors, panelled cabin with seats and instrument panel done in my "folk art" style. Covering is Solarfilm white with lower temp Coverlite dark blue trim. Solarfilm is the most opaque of standard coverings. On your larger model I would use Solartex, available from Balsa USA.
We are planning a natural Solartex covering job followed by a full paint job. It'll be my first time painting...should be fun!

Your model is beautiful. Love that scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
No doubt about that!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:58 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,865 Posts
I'd recommend colored Solartex over painted Solartex. Painted covering is harder to patch and to make "as new" after repairs or modifications. Contrasting trim covering, as on wings, can be applied with Monokote solvent instead of heat, or with lower heat covering applied with covering iron and sock.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:07 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
loNslo-you are correct-it's a beautiful shot.

I'm always railing about getting the camera down to a scale pilot's height.....it certainly worked here!
RCG Plus Member