HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:13 AM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
Started on the wing. Lots of preparation for the frame-up!

sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:43 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
Ribs for both wings are assembled with doublers (doublers not shown in this pic). Hit them with a bit of sand paper to smooth and match them with each other.

Picked up the first batch of servos today. Ordered the rest, and they'll be in tomorrow.

Here's the list:

Savox 1257TGs on Ailerons
Savox 0253s on Flaps
Savox 1258TGs on Elevators and Rudder
Savox 0255MG mini on Throttle

I'll have some basic servos on the retractable landing lights (if I end up doing them)

RX is a Spektrum 9020 w/Xplus Expansion module for various accessories if that becomes necessary. I'll have separate control of navigation and strobes, as well as cockpit lighting. Obviously there will be an ignition kill as well.

I really enjoy the electronics portion of any build, and this build affords a really fun setup unlike anything I've done before.

Also, Savox servos have been really good to me. I run them in a few of my unlimited aerobatic airplanes...they are incredible bang for the buck...especially the 1256/57/58TG.

I run the TM1000 on all my gas engines for in flight temperature and also have a couple set up with a tach feed directly from the ignition sensor.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:27 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
You're much too organized. LOL Take a look at the pics of your building board, and compare them to mine. LOL
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:23 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
You're much too organized. LOL Take a look at the pics of your building board, and compare them to mine. LOL
Ha! I'm fooling you! I only take pictures of the organized parts...here's a full view:

Mine gets ridiculous. I have a TINY room for the kinds of projects I'm doing...and small spaces get messy FAST. I do try to keep it organized, but despite my best efforts...I spend 25% or more of my time cleaning up between steps just to stay on top of it.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:13 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
875 Posts
#1 on the Tiny room, If like me, that means that you spend less time rolling around on your office chair John
jbrooks01 is offline Find More Posts by jbrooks01
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:09 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
Not much progress to report, I am close to starting wing assembly. I am getting about one build day a week right now...and tomorrow is the day. I have a noon meeting with the accountant (for taxes) so even my build day is being encroached upon by life (ug!).

Anyway, I DID get my fiberglass stuff ordered. Went with the package deal from http://www.fibertechnmore.com

Should be here in a few days, I'll post pics and initial impressions then. This will be my first order from them, I usually use fiberglass specialties.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:28 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
I have a cowl and wheel pants from them. Haven't used them yet, but they look like quality stuff.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:18 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
I have a cowl and wheel pants from them. Haven't used them yet, but they look like quality stuff.
That's good news! I took the risk because I had heard good things about Stan's Fibertech and evidently this is a related company under new ownership. The price was a little bit better than FG specialties.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:58 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
The glasswork is a little thinner than Fiberglass Specialties, but mine doesn't display many pinholes.

A friend bought the Stinson package from Stan's, and said that it was well worth the money. I'm sure that the Fibertech n More product will be good, too.

I've met the new owners at the Toledo Show. They are very nice people, and are willing to go the extra mile, when looking for something special.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
Thanks Tom...I am glad I am supporting some good folks with my business.

Got the wing assembly started...to quote another gentleman at our club who also built a TF Stinson, "This is unlike any wing I've built" Pretty cool to watch it take shape.

Test fitting joiner box

Adjusting and fitting ribs after initial assembly

Checking square on TE

Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:14 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
Here is where I finished with it for the night:

It's been a productive day, but I've made a couple of mistakes and that's a bit frustrating.

The biggest was not noticing a rib was not seated perfectly in the spar web. This led to a misalignment of the rib with the others. I spent 3 hours this morning assembling, reassembling, fitting, and final checking...and somehow I missed this error. SO frustrating! I did not notice until I started gluing the leading edge and saw the misalignment. I've already fixed the top side issue with some xtra material and a bit of sanding. The bottom side is going to be the bigger issue, but I should be able to carefully sand the ribs back into alignment.

Sorry to go off...I needed to vent. Somehow despite being as careful as I know how I still make these errors. I guess it's just part of the process. I know some are AMAZING builders who anticipate every mistake and avoid them (A guy in our local club is like that...his planes are just PERFECT)...I have a LONG ways to go before I'm to that point. Nonetheless...the problems are always fixable and every error is experience that goes into the next build.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:28 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
You worry too much ! LOL

We ALL make mistakes. Some of us just don't reveal them .

Remember, our models are just balsa and ply. Mistakes can "easily" be remedied.

So far, things are looking good. Besides that, you just learned something.

Sounds like a good day to me.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
You worry too much ! LOL

We ALL make mistakes. Some of us just don't reveal them .

Remember, our models are just balsa and ply. Mistakes can "easily" be remedied.

So far, things are looking good. Besides that, you just learned something.

Sounds like a good day to me.
I can definitely be classified as a "worry wart" LOL! Thanks for the encouragement. Hit the joiner box with titebond today. I have abolished Epoxy from my builds and since I've done that I have had no allergic reactions. I was thinking it was the CA, but apparently not because I started using CA again as a test (with and without a respirator) and have had zero issues.

So Titebond it is...hopefully that will suffice in the areas where Epoxy is called for.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:13 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
I've built entire 1/4 scale airframes without the use of epoxy, using CA, only.

Titebond should do the trick, too. Just use some common sense when making your decision.

I have a friend that is allergic to epoxy. I'll ask him what he does on his builds.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:15 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
I've built entire 1/4 scale airframes without the use of epoxy, using CA, only.

Titebond should do the trick, too. Just use some common sense when making your decision.

I have a friend that is allergic to epoxy. I'll ask him what he does on his builds.
Thanks for asking him about it. I'm curious. I used to build all my planes with Elmers (back "in the day"). My Kadet Senior is 20 years old and still holding together...so I guess that's good.