HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:18 AM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,337 Posts
Started on the RH Elevator today before heading out of town for work.

Added a few of the ribs (I had them pre-cut from doing the LH elevator and was able to simply sand them to fit this time...goes a lot faster).

I glue each rib to the elevator core first, then reference the LH elevator and sight down the core trailing edge to assure I'm not adding any warp, and to see if I need to correct any warp, then I glue the rib to the elevator LE while correcting the warp/making the core straight. So far so good. Still some small corrections to make with the second set of ribs, cap strips, and edging. Each step I try to assure a true elevator (trued to the opposite elevator, straight, and centered on the stab).

Here is a shot of checking alignment:

sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:20 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,337 Posts
Won't be working on it for the next couple of days, as I'm out of town for work. I had a string of 6 days off, now it's back to the normal grind of 3-4 out of town to 3 in town. Progress on builds tends to slow a bit during these stints.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:59 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,416 Posts
I'm right where you are now, building the stab and elevators on the 'Coupe...It's hard to keep this type of construction straight. You can build it 'in the air' as easily as trying to clamp those tapered shapes down securely.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:06 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
I'm right where you are now, building the stab and elevators on the 'Coupe...It's hard to keep this type of construction straight. You can build it 'in the air' as easily as trying to clamp those tapered shapes down securely.
I haven't tried to clamp or pin the elevators down yet...didn't think of that. Good to know I'm not being idiot by just building it 'in the air'. I've been really frustrated by the elevator alignment of some ARFs I've built...they are high quality airframes and yet...

Anyway, I want to make sure this was is as true as possible. I know, though, despite my best efforts at perfection, something will come out a little off. I've grown to accept that as my perfectionistic tendency kills the joy of the hobby at times.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:15 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,416 Posts
They install 'trim' levers on the transmitters for just that purpose.
My elevators assemble to a spruce 'tie-rod' so you need to align three axis(axii?) to be true-very difficult.....then the wood warps,also.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:33 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
They install 'trim' levers on the transmitters for just that purpose.
My elevators assemble to a spruce 'tie-rod' so you need to align three axis(axii?) to be true-very difficult.....then the wood warps,also.
Three axis assemble? Eek! Agreed on trim levers...mine work great!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:21 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,337 Posts
Finished the elevators up today. I'll wait on hinging, as I like to do that all at once. These pics don't show the hinge blocks installed, but they are there now.

Started on the vertical stab:

I love this kit! This is the best experience I've had with instructions, plans, wood quality, etc. Even my Goldberg Ultimates didn't have instructions this nice.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:54 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,285 Posts
The TF Stinson is a good kit. I'm glad that you are enjoying it. It shows, in your work.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:18 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,337 Posts
Finished up the vertical stab today:

Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:52 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,337 Posts
Rudder all done (except for hinging of course).

My son likes the work!

A quick assembly of my progress so far...the inspector approves!

Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:45 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,285 Posts
I can only imagine what your son is thinking. "Dad is building a humongous airplane. Cool !!!
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:23 AM
rtibbetts
Central Florida
Joined Mar 2008
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
I can only imagine what your son is thinking. "Dad is building a humongous airplane. Cool !!!
That I get to fly......even cooler!!!!
rtibbetts@hotm is offline Find More Posts by rtibbetts@hotm
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:09 PM
Love To Fly Anything!!
United States, NY, Conklin
Joined Mar 2011
92 Posts
I did not know how big this plane was untill i seen the pic. with your son in it! wow!!!
tomupstateny is offline Find More Posts by tomupstateny
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:48 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
He is always asking me if I will finish it "today". I think he is pretty excited, but he has no idea how much work dad has ahead of him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtibbetts@hotm View Post
That I get to fly......even cooler!!!!
For sure. He's already flown my 1/4 scale cub...of course I was shadowing him on the sticks. He's been doing well with his R/C truck...and has flown the sim a bit. I hope he gets into the hobby with me, but one never knows...and I'm fine with that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomupstateny View Post
I did not know how big this plane was untill i seen the pic. with your son in it! wow!!!
It's pretty big...the biggest kit I've built and I am really enjoying it.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:38 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirzeppu View Post
He is always asking me if I will finish it "today". I think he is pretty excited, but he has no idea how much work dad has ahead of him!...
This is a valuable lesson for him: that we take pleasure in the process even when the finished product may be far away; that we sometimes must take such great pains to achieve an acceptable level of workmanship; that we can take pride in all the small steps that go into a work in progress; that we can control our desire for instant gratification and persevere until we reach completion.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo