SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:28 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4 Posts
Discussion
fanfold substitute

I searched but couldn't find what i was looking for. Can I build a plane that was meant for fan fold out of posterboard with the paper removed? I was interested in building the 3dx. Can I use the same glue on it such as welders. hot glue or contact glue?
crrdr97 is offline Find More Posts by crrdr97
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:19 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
669 Posts
You can substitute Dollar Tree foam board to substitute for any sheet foam. Keep in mind that when you take the paper off it loses a lot of strength, take the paper off both sides its really weak.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:47 AM
Joined Jul 2007
4 Posts
Would a small plane be too heavy to fly with the paper still on?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:55 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,570 Posts
Depends on your power system. Most of us remove all the paper from DTF. Two trite sayings, but undeniably true: "build to fly, not to crash" and "lighter flys better".
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:53 AM
Joined Jul 2007
4 Posts
Thanks!...I have never built any scratch ones before and saw all the fan fold stuff and had to build one. I went to lowes and Home Depot with no luck. I saw I can have it shipped to lowes for free but it's a month out. I'm going to order some if I like the way the one I make out of foam board flys. Or if anyone knows somewhere that stocks it in Bakersfield,Ca it will save some hassle.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:20 AM
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,644 Posts
Model Plane Foam
http://www.modelplanefoam.com/
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:50 PM
Damn this gets addictive.
United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2011
521 Posts
Don't use the paper coated stuff myself but read a lot on here and it seems people often remove all the paper. For a number of reasons. It comes off when wet and it's heavy being the most common. Some of the folded wing designs keep some of the internal paper on for strength.
In order to regain the lost strength without regaining the weight people then cover with packing tape. Coloured for easy finish.
As with everything on here there are many opinions and techniques but that does seem to be the most common thing I read.

tCF
Thechittyfather is offline Find More Posts by Thechittyfather
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:35 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,851 Posts
The currently stocked foam at Dollar Tree stores that is marked "Readiboard" has paper that can be cleanly and completely removed without any wetting or prep work and doesn't leave any residue on the foam. It just peels right off. The previous kind was a real pain to strip, it almost took all the fun out of using it for me.

The genuine Elmer's foam board is still hard to strip and I wouldn't use it unless I had to to get the thicker foam. The Elmer's is sold in more than one size, color, and thickness but is several times the cost of the Dollar Tree Readiboard. The Elmer's 3./16" board is the one that best compares to Readiboard when they are both stripped.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Last edited by jackerbes; Jan 30, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:32 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,570 Posts
Good advice from TCF and Jack (and Djacob as well, "MPF is the best foam for your foamie" but if you're just starting, Dollar store foam is easier on the wallet for a few sheets)

click on my username and scroll down my blog for a list of links to 11 planes all made from Dollar store foam. You can get some ideas for your build from the build logs.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member