HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:20 PM
No flying at the Control Tower
Canada, NT, Inuvik
Joined Jun 2010
132 Posts
Question
Thrust tester

Hello, i've jury-rigged a thrust tester, but im having some trouble with the prop adapter.

Whats happening is the prop adapter uses a grub screw, but the motor doesn't have a flat part for the screw. This is an easy fix with a dremel, but what worries me is the amount of thrust it takes to pop off. When i pull it off by hand i record over 5 kg of pulling, but when it pops off rotating its only pulling .6kgs

any particular reason for this?
karikamiya is offline Find More Posts by karikamiya
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:49 PM
Will fly for food
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined May 2011
532 Posts
Vibration causing it to loosen up? You using any loctite?
ilektron is offline Find More Posts by ilektron
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:00 AM
Canada, NT, Inuvik
Joined Jun 2010
132 Posts
You are indeed correct, i just looked at it after i induced a pop off and it was loose.

I will be buying some tomorrow. Could i loctite the smooth shaft too or does it only work on threads?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:45 AM
Will fly for food
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined May 2011
532 Posts
You can loctite the smooth shaft, but I recommend against it. You may never get the prop adapter off if you do that.
ilektron is offline Find More Posts by ilektron
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:00 PM
CSU Chico, Flight Club
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Sep 2012
859 Posts
i had to rough up my Eflight shafts, or the collet prop carriers would slowly pop off over 2-3 minutes of rotating.
Test Pilot Mafia is offline Find More Posts by Test Pilot Mafia
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:07 PM
Canada, NT, Inuvik
Joined Jun 2010
132 Posts
So i rerigged the tester. I was unable to stop the pop offs, so i have combined the loctite with a ground notch into the side of the shaft for it to rest on.

It is working admirably now