HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:48 PM
Chino
Joined Aug 2008
615 Posts
Discussion
Axial AX 10 Scorpion

I recently bought an Axial AX10 Scorpion. Its a couple years old and stock. I dont know crap about lipo batteries but my 4500mah nimh just doesnt last long enough. Can anyone make a recommendation about a lipo that can give me some serious run time that works with my ESC and is reasonably priced?
Think4WD is offline Find More Posts by Think4WD
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:37 AM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
149 Posts
First what esc are you running? If it is the AE-1 it is does not have lipo cut off. also on average how long of run time do you have now. I am using a 3300 mah 6 cell and I am getting around 35-40 minutes of run time. You may have other issues causing low run times like an old battery, binding in the drive train, improper mesh between spur and pinion. Also what motor are you running?
If you really want to go lipo i dont blame you I am and you have an AE-1 you are either going to have to get a ESC with low voltage detection or get a low voltage alarm or cut off module. In a pinch you can use a traxxas XL-5 with LVD. Just make sure it has LVD,
slim_chance is offline Find More Posts by slim_chance
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:42 AM
Chino
Joined Aug 2008
615 Posts
The battery is brand new and run time is like 30 minutes, but my buddy i go out with has a lipo that literally will last 6 hours. Everything on mine is stock. Any idea where I can buy said supplies at a reasonable price maybe online?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:04 PM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
149 Posts
I really like these guys. They have almost anything you could want for your ax10. Warning though. You may spend more than you plan too when you get to looking. The ax10 is one of the most popular crawlers. https://www.tcscrawlers.com/ and these guys for batterieshttp://cheapbatteries.com/
Last edited by slim_chance; Jan 31, 2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:47 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4WD View Post
The battery is brand new and run time is like 30 minutes, but my buddy i go out with has a lipo that literally will last 6 hours. Everything on mine is stock. Any idea where I can buy said supplies at a reasonable price maybe online?
for one, your ax-10 is a crawler. your defeating alot of the purpose of this rig running such a huge battery. most would run anywhere from an 800mah to a 1300mah to keep the weight down for crawling.

anyway, if you really want long runtimes, we would need to know what esc you have, what motor your running, also need to know what servo and if your planning on running an external bec. i'm guessing your just bashing around, as the added weight of such a huge battery is going to kill it's crawling ability. a 3000mah 3s lipo should get you in the 45 minute range, and maybe a 5000mah would get you close to 1:15 or so. if your buddy has a battery that is lasting 6 hours running, then he's got the holy grail of batteries and you need to get as many of them as you can!
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:58 PM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
149 Posts
I forgot to point the extremely long run time out. Most guys are getting 45 minutes to little over an hour with lipo. The longest I have ever seen is 1:30 run time but there was a lot of money put into that rig. Crawlers have better run times then go fast rc's in general. Im only running a 3300 because thats what I got at the moment. But I moved it to the top links for lower cg and more front bias. Soon as taxes are in I'm switching to 2s lipo.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:15 PM
The wind caused that!!
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
i would suggest getting on rccrawler.com and looking at the ax-10 section. while they build their rigs for actual crawling, they have tons of good modifications and ideas. also alot more information.

while your there, you might scroll on down and have a look at the scx-10 section (scale stuff) because the ax10 and scx10 both used the same axles and transmission. if your going to build just a backyard bashing rig, i would pick up an scx-10 frame and build a scale rig. run a brushless motor setup (you get slightly longer runtimes with brushless) and waterproof everything!!
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:12 AM
Chino
Joined Aug 2008
615 Posts
Thanks guys my buddy doesn't have an ax10 i don't remember what it is but it's all tricked out. When you buy a lipo what's all the "c" mean? How do I know which discharge rate I want? Ill look at my car tomorrow and let u guys know what esc and motor I have.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:38 PM
Chino
Joined Aug 2008
615 Posts
Ok so I just checked its an Axial AR-1 Receiver and a 55t motor. Anyone know if it has lipo cutoff? Recommended battery for good run times with my setup?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:45 PM
The wind caused that!!
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
doesn't matter what receiver you have, we need to know what esc you have. i would guess tho with that old receiver you probably have the ae-1 esc in there. if so, it doesn't have a lipo cutoff, and i would trash it and buy a decent esc.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:49 PM
Chino
Joined Aug 2008
615 Posts
Sorry yea its an ae-1 i looked at the wrong sticker. Whats a good intermediate crawler esc?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:05 PM
The wind caused that!!
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
the axial ae-2 is pretty good. cheap, and can be programmed with castle link. also the castle creations sidewinder.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:19 AM
Chino
Joined Aug 2008
615 Posts
And do those all have lipo cutoff? WHats the castle link...Im really new into all this. Im a plane guy still running 72 lol.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:21 PM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
149 Posts
Yes both have voltage cut off. The castle link is for programming the esc with a computer.