SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:36 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mears View Post
Now why cant find a box like that at a garage sale?? Some lady say she is selling all her husbands old airplane crap! Would that make for a great day!
I didn't find out about it directly. I built wood models myself, and started the kids with those. But when eBay and the 'Net were getting started, back about 1996, you could get model paraphenalia very inexpensively, and I watched the auctions often. I got some really great deals, and didn't quite mean to become an engine collector at the time, but I do have several times more of them than I'll ever use.

I saw a Cox plane up for auction, photographed in front of that "hangar", and had to start a PM exchange with the seller to learn more. I can no longer recall what plane I was told, if that fact was still known, actually came with the box in question (and I remember the box in the picture, not the plane posed with it).

Kiwi
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Feb 01, 2013 at 12:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:45 AM
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Aug 2004
106 Posts
I had one of those chrome plated Wen Mac P-39's! Wow! A good flier.
Jake
Sonsight is offline Find More Posts by Sonsight
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:23 PM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Dec 2011
362 Posts
When I was a kid I would make garage sales all the time and buy this kind of stuff for a buck. Bougt countless bay bees for 50 cents. But iI wasnt smart enough to keep them, I flew them to death! There used to be a damaged freight place here in Lubbock. Andy, myself, and a cousin would go there and buy 020 Little Stinkers for $3.00. That was with a quart of fuel! We would buy two each and put streamers on them (my first three way combat) and start wearing them out. Month or so later, go do it again.
Bob Mears is offline Find More Posts by Bob Mears
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:27 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
I started off with a WenMac Cutlass that wouldin't stay in the air and was hard to start. I saved my paper boy money and bought a TD 4. It flew better than my PT 19 and It came in a prism shaped box.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Last edited by tigreflyer; Feb 01, 2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:31 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
I've found flyers leaving the game and selling out cheap.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:03 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,345 Posts
Flew the Testors Cosmic Wind (the earlier, large version), the Wen Mac Flying Wing, and the Galax IX Spaceship.

The Cosmic Wind flew the best. The Flying Wing was somewhat of a disappointment, somehow managing to be sensitive on elevator and nose heavy at the same time. The Galax IX was quite fast, but was disturbed very little by severe elevator commands.

All in all, still a lot of fun!

I have a Wen Mac SNJ that needs a replacement motor, so that will probably be next-and the faithful P-39, which just seems to keep on going (despite my flying).
Ah Clem is online now Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Most .049 RTF's were designed to sell on visual appeal and cost.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:54 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
Flew the Testors Cosmic Wind (the earlier, large version), the Wen Mac Flying Wing, and the Galax IX Spaceship.

The Cosmic Wind flew the best. The Flying Wing was somewhat of a disappointment, somehow managing to be sensitive on elevator and nose heavy at the same time. The Galax IX was quite fast, but was disturbed very little by severe elevator commands.

All in all, still a lot of fun!

I have a Wen Mac SNJ that needs a replacement motor, so that will probably be next-and the faithful P-39, which just seems to keep on going (despite my flying).
AC - Enjoyed watching you today! All three looked like they were flying well. Glad you brought the flying wing - didn't know that one even existed!

- Norm
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Forget The Kids!
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:11 AM
Joined Mar 2005
3,345 Posts
Thank you Norm.

In the back of my mind, I am always a bit concerned the rest of you (who I consider Pro's) think it's a bit silly that I am flying the plastic RTF's.

I am enjoying flying them, but also want to learn to fly inverted again with the higher performance ships.

I received the Smoothie and the Bi-Slob today. I have another Smoothie to pick up locally, so I should have another big machine to fly in a week or two.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:59 AM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Oh contrare! I remember how much fun those were growing up. If someone could finish a tank on their plastic RTFs is was a huge celebration. I still remember the first time I emptied a Babe Bee tank with out crashing. I'd like to see them fly.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:21 AM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Dec 2011
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
Thank you Norm.

In the back of my mind, I am always a bit concerned the rest of you (who I consider Pro's) think it's a bit silly that I am flying the plastic RTF's.

I am enjoying flying them, but also want to learn to fly inverted again with the higher performance ships.

I received the Smoothie and the Bi-Slob today. I have another Smoothie to pick up locally, so I should have another big machine to fly in a week or two.
I think its great your flying the old plastic ARF's. I flew an old plastic pt19 teaching my grand kids how to fly with it. I did forget how poor they performed though. Flying a plastic ARF is a challenge in itself!
Bob Mears is offline Find More Posts by Bob Mears
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:51 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,345 Posts
I went through the motor on the Mini Stunt (the bright green Pitts) over the last few days. It was, quite literally, glued together with 40 year old castor oil. It now has a new reed and fuel line, and I just ran it in the back yard.

It should fly by the end of the week.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:20 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,220 Posts
Boy oh boy, that Wen-mac Turbojet really brings back the memories. I must have had a few hundred flights on mine back in the 60's.
One outstanding characteristic was if you slowly fed full up in to it the airplane would fly very slowly with it's nose up at about 85 degrees in a mild hover. Had to walk backwards to keep line tension. Return to normal flight with 'down' application.

Nice collection, thanks for the pictures.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:06 AM
Joined Mar 2012
4 Posts
I have alot of old cox plane parts laying around is anyone in need of some parts? If so I'll dig them out and post them. I'll never use them.
Nitrobreath is offline Find More Posts by Nitrobreath
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:07 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,345 Posts
Nitrobreath,

I would be interested, sir!

If you would send me a PM with what you have, I would greatly appreciate it!