HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:43 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
Discussion
ClearView RC Simulator speed realism

Hi,

I recently installed ClearView RC Simulator on my PC and I was wondering... is the speed of the planes on the simulator close to real life speed?

An example... I was testing the Stuka dive bomber, and as it is a warbird I was expecting it to be pretty fast even with flaps on. Though when I deploy the flaps it becomes very slow, makes landing it a breeze (and I`m a beginner).

I know that simulators and real planes are not the same, but i was expecting it to be harder anyway. Is it normal or this simulator is just too far from reality?

By the way, with flaps deployed, the sim says the plane was flying at 22mph.
minduim is offline Find More Posts by minduim
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:58 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,850 Posts
How any given sim flies depends entirely on the person who set the parameters.

I often use the Cessna 182 Skylane, because I have a model just like it. One of the builders for ClearView even customized it for me, after I commented the flaps didn't work like the model. All that was good, but it didn't fly as fast as the model, so I changed the prop and motor speed parameters to match my model, and now it flies very much like my model, flaps and all.

That said, the Stuka wasn't the fastest or most maneuverable warbird; for another, try the B-17, which really flies like a pig. If you want fast, give one of the jets a go.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:14 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
Thanks for the reply

I don't want the plane to be fast at all, I was just wondering if the experience is close to the real stuff. I plan on using the sim for a while to gain some (valid) experience while I don't upgrade from my micro cub model hehe
minduim is offline Find More Posts by minduim
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:00 PM
Fernandina Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2002
366 Posts
Stuka

Also note that the stuka is modeled after a foam model and is very light and electric powered...I believe the real eps model will fly about 45 mph, which is about the same as the one in Clearview. If it flies slower than 35 mph full throttle...you may want to check your controller and make sure you are getting full throttle...when I test the models I make I usually have the throttle trim set to 75% and full throttle when I test the speeds. Another thing you may want to try is step up the time scale....Settings -->Training Time Scale Setup.

Ken
Helos36 is offline Find More Posts by Helos36
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:07 AM
United States, CA, Manhattan Beach
Joined Mar 2006
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minduim View Post
I don't want the plane to be fast at all, I was just wondering if the experience is close to the real stuff.
Of the two flight sims I own, both Clearview and Phoenix have models that seem perfect, and others that seem really 'floaty'.

So as Wintr said, your mileage will vary, depending on who did the original parameter files, and how active the users of that particular model are.

You may get lucky, and find a perfect match. Or you may need to do a LOT of tweaking to get your model to match reality.

To change your model's behavior, edit the params.txt file in the directory for your particular model. But there really is no documentation on what, does what in that file. Trial and error are your friends.

Also you could try http://clearviewrc.com/forum/index.php for more info.

Personally, I gave up on Clearview, once I shelled out for Phoenix. I'm a heli guy, and like that Phoenix uses the actual pitch curves from my DX8, while Clearview requires you to edit the params.txt file every time you change your xmitter setup.

And that's not likely to change, since Clearview hadn't been updated in over a year. But there are worse ways to spend $40.
markj99 is offline Find More Posts by markj99
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:37 AM
Fernandina Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2002
366 Posts
change

You are right.....that will never change...because Clearview will use ANY controller that can be calibrated in Windows, so you can see why that will never change. Not everyone uses their own radio for simming...personally I use a G2 controller and a Dynam controller for Clearview, so I don't have to worry about damaging my Radio as I have done in the past. Nothing more annoying than bumping your radio off the computer desk and breaking switches.....With Pheonix you have to use the supplied controller and or your own Radio. It is simply a matter of preference.....I do have a USB cable that I hook to my older Futaba FP-7UHP from time to time to test the models in Clearview with a real radio.

Ken
Last edited by Helos36; Jan 31, 2013 at 08:52 AM. Reason: added comments
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:02 PM
v922, mini, genius,mcp, v450D0
United States, MN, Le Sueur
Joined Nov 2012
1,232 Posts
I have downloaded the clearview sim and want to use my Devo 8s and 10 to fly helis. I am a newcomer to all this so can somebody please tell me what kind of cable I need to hook my Tx to pc and get the sim to respond? I have usb to mini usb and that does nothing. Clearview emailed a link to a page that shows a lot of cables for this purpose, however non of them say Devo. They are for futaba, tamiya, etc. One end is usb the other looks like the end for a monitor. Once I get the proper cable what next? Looks like I have to go and assign a switch, for each function, what about the cyclics?
Is it even worth it? I now see a lot of stuff saying what crap this sim is. I know it's not great but it was free. Any suggestions for a better sim without spending my heli money all on a sim?
jack herr is offline Find More Posts by jack herr
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:00 PM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,128 Posts
I've owned ClearView for years.

Love it. It does what I want. That is to give me some practice time and keep my hand in when I can't find time to fly a real plane or the Wx is bad etc.

You can't beat the real thing though no matter how good these sim's get.

Fresh air and getting off your backside is what its all about.
mrfirkin is online now Find More Posts by mrfirkin
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:10 AM
Joined Nov 2012
1,232 Posts
It's good to hear you like it but that doesn't help get me any closer to using mine.. I am completely lost regarding cable/dongle set up I need. If anybody uses DeventionTxs, Please give me a point in the right direction
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:40 AM
Fernandina Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2002
366 Posts
Dev TX

Jack,
I have done a google search and did some reading about your transmitter. The USB cable supplied is used to get online updates to the transmitter software only and will not act as a USB controller. No where in any of the articles does it suggest anything about switching the radio to a PPM signal, or using it as a usb controller. Also it seems they are not compatible with any other receiver on the market except their own. This is bad news for you trying to make it work as a usb controller, However instead of using your radio for controlling a sim, you should consider purchasing a cheap USB dummy box such as the Dynam 6 channel usb controller. Here is a link to one on Amazon...but I have also seen them at cheaper prices...but this should give you a place to start. This is probably not what you wanted to hear.....

http://www.amazon.com/Flight-Simulat.../dp/B004T8HSTK

Ken
Last edited by Helos36; Feb 15, 2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:33 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,232 Posts
Thanks. I have been googling and posting on sites where folks are talking about walkera/devo products and not had any real help. I did find 2 different cables for walkera 2.4g Txs so I will look into it I can't really find in the manual what I need either. It says it can be paired with a sim but not how. Thanks though and I may have to but a sim with Tx package. I really want to use my Txs though for a closer feel to real flight.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:11 AM
Build it up!
United States, MN, Coon Rapids
Joined Dec 2007
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack herr View Post
I have downloaded the clearview sim and want to use my Devo 8s and 10 to fly helis. I am a newcomer to all this so can somebody please tell me what kind of cable I need to hook my Tx to pc and get the sim to respond? I have usb to mini usb and that does nothing. Clearview emailed a link to a page that shows a lot of cables for this purpose, however non of them say Devo. They are for futaba, tamiya, etc. One end is usb the other looks like the end for a monitor. Once I get the proper cable what next? Looks like I have to go and assign a switch, for each function, what about the cyclics?
Is it even worth it? I now see a lot of stuff saying what crap this sim is. I know it's not great but it was free. Any suggestions for a better sim without spending my heli money all on a sim?
Jack,
You didn't say what OS you are running. I run Win 7. I'm not familiar with your type of Tx, but if you can change the model type to "airplane", do it! Try this first! My logic is that CV is an airplane sim with helis thrown in! I noticed fussing with my DX7s, something was conflicting with CV. Then it dawned on me CV is probably doing all the CCPM mixing! On your PC, disconnect all other controllers (joysticks, gamepads, etc.) from your PC. That way you will only have one controller showing to Windows after you plug in the USB controller.
Plug in usb side first, then jack end to flight controller. Win 7 will recognize new hardware. Click "Start" on left side of task bar. Click on "devices and printers" You should see a game pad icon called "PPM to USB adapter" Right click on it. Click on "game controller settings" You can then click on "properties", "settings" and "calibrate" (I'm not sure if it did anything, the axises didn't jibe with what is on the Tx, but it didn't hurt)[(I found out this will save the settings in Windows)]
Now open Clearview, click on "settings" then "controller set up". Pick "PPM#" as the controller. The axises are as follows: May have to reverse as necessary:
Throttle= X axis
Rudder= Z rotation
Aileron= Y axis
Elevator= Z axis
Enable stick auto centering
Idle up/Flaps set on X rotation set off X rotation
Throttle Hold/gear set on Y rotation set off Y rotation
Then "Calibrate" and your done! Hope this guides you in the right direction! This causes all 6 basic functions to work with CV and a DX7s. I could not get the Throttle hold switch to work on my DX6i though. That's because i could not figure out how to set up switch assignments on it. This is how I did it on the DX7s: Scroll down to "switch select" and change them as follows: Trainer - Inh, Flap - Inh, F mode - gear, Mix - Aux 1, Gear - Inh, Knob - Inh
Make sure Trainer mode is "Slave"
Possibly, you may be able to to do that on your transmitters.
Here's a link to get a cable:
http://www.rctoys.com/rc-products/GW...002B-PLUG.html
I looked a pictures of the Devo 8 and on the back there is a tiny hole. Looks similar to Spektrum/Jr. type. Is there a trainer switch on the Devo? The cable may or may not work if it doesn't have one.

Flatspins
13Flatspins is offline Find More Posts by 13Flatspins
Last edited by 13Flatspins; Feb 17, 2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:40 AM
Joined Nov 2012
1,232 Posts
Thanks for the answer. I will give it a shot, right now we have our kids over for breakfast they have 2 dogs and my wife and I just got 2 new rat terrier pups. Chaos rules the day. That sounds like it should work. I have researched some and I think wlakera Txs need a special cable. Older txs need a different one than newer ones( I have new ones). I have tried emailing walkera but for some reason my computer wont let me register on the site and can't email w/o registering. It's also cool you are in MN. I am teaching myself and don't know anybody that flies helis. Just to have a resource to bounce questions off of helps.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:38 AM
Build it up!
United States, MN, Coon Rapids
Joined Dec 2007
229 Posts
Jack,
Le Seuer... About a 1/2 hour from Bloomington... I know that a heli club meets there near the post office or at least used to. I taught myself how to fly Planks in 1983. Wrecked 2 planes in the process. I shoulda found a club and got help! Since 2006 with a lot of help on RCgroups and Helifreak, (especially in Finless Bob's Tech room) I've managed to learn to fly helis. It's hard, but you can too! Just be prepared to spend some money on replacement parts! You are welcome to PM me if you have any questions!

http://helifreak.com/

https://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
(Find a club through AMA)

Flatspins
13Flatspins is offline Find More Posts by 13Flatspins
Last edited by 13Flatspins; Feb 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:25 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,232 Posts
Thanks it's nice to know so many people support and want to help. I am fully prepared to go the distance both money wise as well as however much time is needed to be a good flier. I have to say I had dreams of doing inverted flight by spring when I can get outside but so far hovering takes all my skills. Within the small living room I have I can move around a little and am now trying r/l side hover, this is much harder than I could have ever imagined. I don't know about a flying club here in LS but will put out some feelers and see. I used to know some people that flew planes years ago maybe somebody would know. I am looking for an indoor space here so I can stretch out a little and improve, I think I have gone as far as I can at home, it's to costly to learn within a 14x14 room the walls and furniture are too close all the time. Learning to crash ratio is way to high that way. I have windows 7 so your info about sims should be helpful haven't had time to fool with anything for a week with 2 new rat terrier pups sharing my time.