HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:42 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
I wonder if anyone's experimented with magnetically steered ff from flat ground for windy days?
Not from flat ground though, but from slopes, F1E seems to be still quite popular in central & eastern Europe....
I haven't tried, but I'm tempted....unfortunately it's hard to find a suitable venue these days...

It's really beautiful....! WATCH THIS CLIP

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Feb 09, 2013 at 07:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:59 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Sep 2006
318 Posts
I've tried this and found it fascinating. I still have my magnet model but there are not many suitable slopes where I live so back to rc. I was amazed at the authority that a small magnet can exert on the steering of quite a large model. Unfortunately, here in the UK, there's very little interest in this branch of model flying. I know of only one place in the country where it occurs and it's too far for me to go. Our windy island may be what puts people off or perhaps we are just too taken up with radio.
It's a beautiful way to fly gliders. I cannot see any future in attempting it from flat ground, you need the hills.
Raf_Bob is offline Find More Posts by Raf_Bob
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:01 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,101 Posts
The idea from flat ground was merely to fly into the wind so that a smaller field could be used. I've seen video of it done in the traditional way, and I agree it's beautiful.

I have a hill I can walk to that might work for this, except that if I set it up to fly too fast, it might land in the houses below. Hmm..and if I didn't, it would land in the trees. Oh well, RC only for that spot, I guess. I can think of a place an hour away that might work ok with a west wind, which is common. And another that might work if I had a boat to chase the model with!
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:00 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Sep 2006
318 Posts
Lincoln, I'm far from experienced at this but from reading about it and from my very limited knowldge it seems necessary to have several models to match different wind conditions. As I understand it, the ideal flight is just a little above wind speed such that the model rises from the slope and makes a little headway into wind. At dt the model drifts back to land at ones feet! A counsel in perfection,of course, and obviously not very often achieved but seems to be the ultimate aim. On one of my attempts I launched from a slope and set a very short dt but was dismayed to see the model fly straight out toward a road about 1/4 mile away. I was really scared it would come down on the road and cause an accident. Fortunately it dt'd just inside the hill boundary so all was well but it sure put the wind up me and I haven't attempted any more such flights! I feel a bit cheeky posting here because I really am not experienced or knowledgeable enough to guide you or anyone else, just posting my own experience. It would very interesting to hear from some true experts in this field. I would certainly be a regular reader of anything to do with magnet steering. Here in th UK, so few do this kind of modelling that catching their eye would seem very unlikely, but if someone would like to join in it would be great.
Raf_Bob is offline Find More Posts by Raf_Bob
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:21 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,413 Posts
The problem with magnet steering on a flat land situation is that the model will simply sit while the thermals pass it by. It would take a VERY special set of thermal conditions to produce an extended flight by more than some seconds.

This is why we set up our free flights to fly in a circle. Then it's our job to put it into a hunk of air that is going up. Or in the case of a non DT equipped model to avoid the "going up" stuff in favour of a hunk of air that isn't going anywhere but sideways.

Magnet steered models from slopes is a HIGHLY specialized form of free flight. Not so much because of the need for the magnet system setup as it is for the requirement for a very special sort of flying site.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:53 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,953 Posts
I can't resist posting a few more inspiring F1E-clips.....

CLIP 1

CLIP 2

Obviously, even fairly shallow slopes allow for this way of flying...
CLIP 3

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand