SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:25 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,256 Posts
Question
Why doesn't the Talon have 2 Power Leads?

I would like an answer directly from someone at Castle who made the decision to only have one power lead.

I'm not looking for beta testers who tested it...I want to know the reasoning.

Are the servo connectors being shipped with the Talon able to handle 9A of continuous current without heating up?

I believe there is a perfectly good reason behind it, I'm just very curious for the explanation.

We are taught in electronics to never exceed the rating of connectors and the Talon's BEC is clearly exceeding the Amp rating of a servo connector.

We've been told that the larger BEC is to help with brown-out due to heavy duty digital servos...but to me, only having power through 1 connector could even make the matter worse.

Please explain, I have full faith in Castle...just really want to know the reasoning.
djmoose is online now Find More Posts by djmoose
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:37 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,787 Posts
From reading all most of the forums I think that there are two things you should do when you get a new Talon.

1. Open up the case and check the solder joints on the output connectors. There have been some that have come loose due to bad solder joint. Give a good tug to make sure it’s solid and has plenty of solder.

2. Add a second connector that uses heavy-duty wire.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUR73&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUR72&P=7

Most everyone that is using the internal BEC adds a second power connector.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:40 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,787 Posts
I think that CC should put out a Service Advisory on this and offer a free factory upgrade.

What do you all think?

Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:41 AM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
From reading all most of the forums I think that there are two things you should do when you get a new Talon.

1. Open up the case and check the solder joints on the output connectors. There have been some that have come loose due to bad solder joint. Give a good tug to make sure itís solid and has plenty of solder.

2. Add a second connector that uses heavy-duty wire.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUR73&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUR72&P=7

Most everyone that is using the internal BEC adds a second power connector.

I don't have this ESC, but I am not sure if you can see a bad solder joint. I think simply plugging on a wired connector and doing a little modest tug to see if it is ok is sufficient.

With regards to brownouts, they can be caused by two things, a low current capability BEC simply turning off (lowering its voltage ouput to limit current) when the current draw is excessive, and secondly a voltage drop across the RC connector when your servo's spike the current.

I believe running the voltage at 6V and keeping it there will keep those voltage drops due to the spikes above the reboot voltage level.

In other words, in most reasonable cases, where the average current draw is in the 5A or less range (which I bet is typical of almost applications), there probably is no issue with the connector at all.

If on the other hand you want to light up a 6V 10A lightbulb, then yes, soldering a second pigtailed connector on is a good idea. At that point I would simply consider an external BEC that comes with two connectors.
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:29 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,787 Posts
I think that the main reason that most are buying it is because of the 9A BEC. If you don’t intend on using the internal BEC than there are many better choices on the market.

Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:22 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,256 Posts
My guess is along the lines of this:

the digital servos drawing a lot of current at startup are very small spikes. Maybe the single servo connector can handle the spikes above 5A for fractions of a second with no ill-effects...

That could mean that the Talcon BEC will handle 9A continious...but the stock Talon ESC as a whole may not be able to handle 9A of continious power (via it's BEC).

I think, if that's the case, we should hear that from Castle and it should be marketed that way.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:33 AM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,209 Posts
IIRC, the Talon was originally advertised as being able to take a 20 amp spike but since it has only the single output lead which would melt at that current, they changed the information on the unit rather than the output wiring.

Doesn't do much good for a 9 amp continous rating to be setup through a single servo lead type connector. In my experience with using servo lead type connectors to charge batteries, a good quality connector with gold plated pins can handle 4 amps continous and only get slightly warm. Once those start to wear a bit, they'll get warm enough to allow the plastic to be, shall we say, molded???? lol
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:51 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,256 Posts
Quote:
The ESC with the BIGGEST BEC
Castle’s new Talon 90 ESC sports a BEC designed for today’s servos, pumping out up to 20 amps peak power and 9 amps of continuous power to keep even the hungriest servos happy.
I just want to hear from Castle how they are getting 9A cont through 1 servo connector.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:13 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,787 Posts
It would be interesting to run a test at 9A continuous too see how it would perform.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:01 PM
Olathe,KS,USA
Joined Oct 2000
2,654 Posts
Hi guys,

Here's the answer from James Anderson -- our engineer in Kansas who did the testing on the single RX lead version of the Beta Talon-90.

This was originally posted in Castle Creations' Beta testing forum.

"We have done extensive testing with the Talon BEC using resistive loads, as well as power hungry align, savox, and several other normal and HV servos. The current that is drawn by servos is very inconsistent and will normal be very low (under 2A) with large spikes (~5A) during fast movements. During testing we kept the servos moving as much as possible and watched the temperatures of the wires and connectors using a thermal camera. Even under resistive loads higher than our continuous rating the connector temperature never reached unsafe temperatures. Our testing left us confident that a single connector and wire will be able to handle the loads of any setup.

A second servo lead was considered as a way to give the consumer piece of mind but was decided against to maintain the simplicity of the product. A second lead may lead to confusion with people new to the hobby and would also likely lead to support issues during castle linking. The castle link adapter is only able to provide power to the unit during programing. With a second wire the second wire would have to be disconnected from the servos and radios to castle link or extra circuitry would have to be added leading to more cost as well as inefficiency. The BEC pro has a separate link port for this reason. This could be done on the Talon as well but adds even more complexity and cost to the unit.

The goal of this unit was to make a simple lower cost product that is easy to setup. Because of the problems mentioned above it was decided that a second wire would not be a step towards this goal. Our testing has showed that the single wire and connector will be safe for even the toughest setup. Since we have received a good amount of feedback asking about a second wire I will make sure that it is considered again when we work on future projects.

We do not recommend soldering a second servo lead to the unit. The case was not designed to support this and it will likely lead to wire chafing."
Patrick del Castillo is offline Find More Posts by Patrick del Castillo
Last edited by Patrick del Castillo; Jan 30, 2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:29 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,256 Posts
Thanks Patrick!!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:01 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,543 Posts
Casle talon bec

Question for Patrick.....What gauge of wire is used on the ESC to the receiver ?
Thanks
stegl is offline Find More Posts by stegl