HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:47 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,184 Posts
Discussion
My RedWhiteBlue

After years of delay, I built a new fuselage around (or under ) an old wing I had built for a model using GWS IPS power (remember IPS?). Because I'm too lazy to build a tail from balsa sticks and covering, I opted for 3MM Depron construction.

I call it RedWhiteBlue. It's a variation on the style of sport free flight models from the 1940s and 1950s. Span is 36 inches, weight is about 7 ounces with 2S 460 mAh Rhino pack. Motor is a BP Hobbies A2204/14 brushless, ESC is a Castle 6 Amp. Thunderbird, and prop is an 8 X 3.8 slow flyer. Receiver is an OrangeRX 6 channel and servos are HXT600s.

What's special about it is that it is nearly a perfect primary trainer. It's very stable, thanks to the polyhedral wing. Put it into a tight turn and release the sticks, it will come out of the turn in a blink and return to level flight. Note that the control surfaces are small. They are adequate for take-off, cruising around, and landing. But I have to work hard to do a loop.

As a primary trainer, loops and rolls are not part of the syllabus . It's so easy to fly that any basic 3-channel radio will work fine, and there is no need for dual rates or exponential.

There are times and places when I need relaxing, reliable flying, and RedWhiteBlue fills the bill.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
to remove ads between posts