SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:31 PM
Joined May 2010
26 Posts
Discussion
Blade Nano CP X vs Walkera Super CP - First CP heli

Now that the Super CP has been out for a month or two, how does it compare to the blade nano CP X? My main concern is if it is worth it to go NCPX + used DX6i for roughly $250-300 when you can get the Super CP + devo7e for ~$140? Is the Super CP noticably larger for indoor flying?

Is one significantly more durable than the other? I don't have a sim yet, and while I understand both radios work with Phoenix I'd really rather be able to fly over grass and try and learn 3D in real life without having to worry TOO much about mangling the heli on small crashes. Even better would be if it was realistically feasible to wreck over wood floors / tile while keeping the heli relatively intact. Also, as soon as I became confident with the MSR, I enjoyed flying it outside more than in my house as I could get it going much faster - if the slightly larger size of the Super CP means its better in the breeze without being much less durable, this is a plus.

I'm also wondering if the Devo 7e is going to be a worthwhile / comparable alternative to a DX6i as I'll probably end up going to a 130X or a 300X eventually... Is it better to just stick with the Blade route and go with a DX6i then?

Basically, the MSR got me hooked and my original idea that I would only buy one heli (the MSR) went out the window, so now I'm wondering if the Super CP package will offer me a good platform to grow with, or whether, like the MSR, the radio won't really cut it for better helis. I know it can be modded with firmware to bind to Horizon's helis, but is it easy / reliable to do this or will I be better off sticking with blade for roughly twice the price? Thanks!
brad24 is offline Find More Posts by brad24
Last edited by brad24; Jan 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:04 PM
United States, VA, Hampton
Joined Jan 2013
95 Posts
I am flying the Mini CP as my first CP heli which is the same frame and parts as the Super CP. I can say it is pretty durable. There are small things that dont effect flight, like the canopy is always cracked (I just tape it up with packing tape) the landing gear is constantly breaking, no big deal just keep gluing it back together. I found it to be much stronger especially in the batt try to reinforce with paper and CA glue, just laying the paper over the full part and soaking it with CA. Comes out pretty strong.
I hear the Devo7E is a good TX i kinda wish I went with it in my purchase, I got the 7 and dont like only 2 lines for text on the screen to program. It gets confusing.
birwin353 is offline Find More Posts by birwin353
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:24 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
You cant compare the two as far as durability goes. It would be better to compare a super or mini CP to a mcpx. The mini CP does have a better gyro than the mcpx, so I would guess the super is quite nice as well.

Anyhow without a question the nano is way more durable and only 28 grams
The nano will need to be tamed a bit more on rates and expo if you are a newer flyer though.

The other big bonus is if you live in the states HH support is top tier.

On the dx6i, have you looked into the hobbyking orange T-six?
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:24 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Buy the super, and use the spare cash to get the sim. Grass is nice, but for every two crashes I've had in real life there's been 40 or 50 in the sim. I am pretty sure it's paid for itself many times over.

The Super is great. But they move fast, and crashes can do a good amount of damage. I destroyed my tail fin in the first day, and then burnt out the tail motor. Both my own fault/learning experiences, not the fault of the SuperCP. Point is, I never even got past 10 minutes of hovering before I broke it.

Repair was easy. Really easy. Paid $8 for a new tail and motor, plugged it in, and good to go. Now I'm hovering and flying and having a blast.

But I gotta say, the month I spent with Phoenix before even buying a CP helicopter was the single best investment I made. It becomes apparent very quickly that they fly very differently than a flybar'd helicopter.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:28 PM
Joined May 2010
26 Posts
I hadn't heard of the Orange T-Six til now, and yeah it looks really nice... After shipping though it comes out to $70, plus the $150 for the NCPX BNF is $220. I should have mentioned this though, while I live in FL, most of the year I'm at college and there isn't a local hobby shop around, so I'll be getting parts offline anyway, so its less of an advantage for the NCPx... Does the Super CP handle wind better or are they more or less the same?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:28 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Another note:

That Devo 7e will replace your DX6i and more, allowing you to control most walkera, devo, and DSM2 and DSMX helicopters with a simple firmware change to Deviation. So it will control any Walkera, Blade, etc... you buy in the future. And moreso, can also control Flysky and other types (WL toys helicopters, etc...) with some soldering and physical upgrades.

That DX6i will NOT replace your Devo transmitter, or any of the other above cool stuff. It will control your Blade and DSM2/DSMX helicopters and that's it.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:34 PM
Joined May 2010
26 Posts
Arr0wHead, where are you getting your parts from? And I've played with the simulator in the hobby shop back home and was able to flip and inverted hover several of the different models but I agree that it would definitely make a good investment... That's what I'm trying to determine with this thread, I got used to being able to crash the MSR while learning (first heli) and I only broke a flybar until I had a really unlucky crash that screwed up the 5 in 1. I'm pretty confident I'd be able to hover the Super or the NCPX without much issue but I want to be able to get better and push my limits without fear of breaking everything when I crash.

Also is upgrading the firmware to make it DSM2/DSMX compatible pretty idiot proof or is there a chance you mess up your transmitter? Also I heard the range on the 7E wasn't great due to a low power output
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:40 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad24 View Post
Arr0wHead, where are you getting your parts from? And I've played with the simulator in the hobby shop back home and was able to flip and inverted hover several of the different models but I agree that it would definitely make a good investment...

Regarding flipping and inverted with the sim - it's easy. You'd think I was a 3D pro from watching the sim. It's the turning around and bringing it back to land without crashing that's most difficult. Landings, hovering, and fine control. It's very easy for these to get away from you. And that little tiny bump in the sim is your landing gear or battery flying across the room in real life. Or worse.

As far as the 7e, it does have a reduced range. Should still be good for 50-100 yards or more. It's just not going to be enough for big birds at the airfield. Park flying and micro heli's it should be plenty.

Flashing to the Devention firmware, right now, carries a risk. Once you switch, you cannot change back to the stock firmware because Devo hasn't made the original firmware available. However my hope is that they will eventually, as all their other TX firmwares are available. In the meantime, I'm keeping my 7E stock until I actually have a need for the additional protocols.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:43 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Oh, regarding parts:

I did two things. First, I ordered from a US seller so I could get back up flying quickly. It was MUCH more expensive ($12 vs. 8) for the tail assembly, but it got here in 2 days! That seller was RC Helipartz on Ebay. Second I ordered another from Banggood, who have incredibly good prices on parts and batteries for the SuperCP, but it takes a while for shipping. But at least they're on the way, so next time if it breaks I'm ready.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:56 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad24 View Post
I hadn't heard of the Orange T-Six til now, and yeah it looks really nice... After shipping though it comes out to $70, plus the $150 for the NCPX BNF is $220. I should have mentioned this though, while I live in FL, most of the year I'm at college and there isn't a local hobby shop around, so I'll be getting parts offline anyway, so its less of an advantage for the NCPx... Does the Super CP handle wind better or are they more or less the same?
You should be able to get a nano for less than $130 shipped. The nano handles as much wind as my minicp's did , which is not much You should also be able to find a real dx6i new for 130ish if wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
Another note:

That Devo 7e will replace your DX6i and more, allowing you to control most walkera, devo, and DSM2 and DSMX helicopters with a simple firmware change to Deviation. So it will control any Walkera, Blade, etc... you buy in the future. And moreso, can also control Flysky and other types (WL toys helicopters, etc...) with some soldering and physical upgrades.

That DX6i will NOT replace your Devo transmitter, or any of the other above cool stuff. It will control your Blade and DSM2/DSMX helicopters and that's it.
I would never fly anything above micro with a deviated tx.... even if i used my last devo12s
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:11 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
I would never fly anything above micro with a deviated tx.... even if i used my last devo12s
I said that, right after the bit you quoted. The 7e, range wise, is good for micros and park flying. Keep in mind, we're in the micro section of the forum here, in a thread comparing micro helicopters.

You are implying, however, that ANY deviated TX is not good for bigger planes, even though all but the 7E have full range/power. Why is that? Are there other issues with larger helicopters outside of range with Deviation?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:25 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Yes I realize we are in the micro section but who do you know that stops at just one heli Might as well buy the best that you can afford now and save the pain of reselling to upgrade.

Also, yes I am totally saying a deviated tx is not good for larger scale. While a cool little addition for these little bnf's it isnt ok for larger aircraft no matter how solid someone says it is. It should not be used and will not be trusted at any flying sites for non-micros. It is modded and unregulated firmware and as such you would have to be loony to fly larger with it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:28 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Is this based on actual examples of seeing it not allowed or seeing it fail? Or opinion.

Not trying to argue, but when I learn stuff I like to confirm it for myself. And you're the first time I've heard this about Deviation firmware.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:31 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
I have owned every 2801 version and the devo8, devo8s and devo12s. All have had issues/glitches at some point and I just can never see myself flying a 500 size heli with them. My rule for Walkera is if it is too big that it can hurt me, it is too big to fly safely. That is without deviation firmware, with it the chance for issues goes up since you the user are the beta tester
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:35 PM
Joined May 2010
26 Posts
Well I just found out my pops ordered me a Super CP for my birthday, hopefully I can have some fun with it before I manage to break it... Pretty disappointed to have had such serious 5 in 1 problems after 2 weeks with the supposedly indestructible MSR. What parts would you recommend stocking up on besides the tail motor / boom assembly? How are your servos holding up?