Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:25 AM
Joined Jan 2009
139 Posts
Discussion
Bad GPS Receiption v4

Hi!

have to wait very long to get a gps fix. twice or 3 times longer than wookong gps.
when it gets a fix its very unaccurate, combared to wookong gps.

eagle tree gps has the douple distance to videotx combared to the better working wookong gps.

Are there any hints to improve the receiption?
Can i improve the gps by tunig gps parameter?
if yes which changes have to be made.?
fpvbird is offline Find More Posts by fpvbird
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:07 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,920 Posts
Hi, and sorry to hear about your GPS issues.

First, do you have the GPS V4 with the ferrite ring built into the cable?

Second, when you say it takes longer to get a fix, can you confirm that you are looking at the GPS's blinking LED? When that blinking stops, that indicates the GPS has gotten a fix.
billpa is online now Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:36 AM
Joined Jan 2009
139 Posts
Hi!
yes, i have GPS v4 with ferrite ring!

i also had different errors like graphic error or internal error. So i made a factory reset and then clicked next next next in safty wizard without any transmitter.

could these errors have a relation to gps fix?
i don't see the blinking led because of the black heat shrink tube.
after i made a factory reset and configurating parameter i went outside and looked what i get. so far no errors but no gps fix after 10min i abort.

how important is the safty wizard?
I fly multicopter and don't use any RTH - i only connected throttle channel for power supply reason.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:15 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,920 Posts
Hi fpvbird,

Thanks for the details. Regarding the GPS issue, did you add the black heatshrink? I'm just curious - that should not affect the issue, unless the heatshrink somehow damaged the patch antenna (seems somewhat unlikely). Those usually only get damaged after bad crashes.

When you say you're not getting a GPS fix, can you let me know how you are confirming that? Are you seeing the "waiting for GPS fix" message on the OSD, or some other way?

The GPS should never take more than a minute or so to get a GPS fix, assuming there is a clear view of most of the sky.

One way we could troubleshoot this is if you could find a way to see the LED (or use live mode with our software), and then try getting a fix with and without your video transmitter. If the fix still doesn't occur without the video transmitter, I am pretty sure the GPS has been damaged. I'm pretty sure that is the case anyway, as we seldom see issues reported with video transmitters these days.

We can replace that for you if you open a ticket with us at http://ticket.eagletreesystems.com.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:18 AM
Joined Jan 2009
139 Posts
i get gps fix after long time in an open area, so maybe gps works fine. i now will try this highpass filter which should suppress emi/rfi to improve gps receiption

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/High-Pass...2.4GHz-TX.html
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:05 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,920 Posts
That is worth a try, but it is strange that you're having the issue. My best theory is that the GPS's antenna is somehow damaged.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:35 AM
Joined Jan 2009
139 Posts
I thought it is worth a try because the gps on another machine with simple osd is reacting very similar. If it does not help i will try to change the modul out as you told.
thanks