HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:14 AM
Garret H's Avatar
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,944 Posts
Discussion
BEWARE! Value Hobby support is horrible!

You've been warned.

I ordered a Crius SE flight controller board from them about 1-1/2 months ago. It took me a while to get the quad together, so I just recently used it (in the last few weeks). It wasn't working right, but I didn't know if it was the board or something I had set wrong in the programming. So, I called them up after I first used it. They told me:

Quote:
"uhhh, we don't use those boards personally so I we wouldn't know. I've heard they are hard to program, so yeah....."
So, I was left to figure it out through trial and error and finding help on the forums. I finally determined it was a bad board, sent in a support ticket, and now they are refusing to replace it because it has been over a month! They actually said, "you should have contacted us within a month"....I DID!!!!

Garret
Garret H is online now Find More Posts by Garret H
Site Sponsor
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:42 AM
Registered User
United States, MI, Six Lakes
Joined Jan 2012
9 Posts
So is Value Hobby they do not care about their customers.Bought 2=80 amp ESC and can not get them to work.They was one day out of warrenty and kick me to curb
deerraiser57 is offline Find More Posts by deerraiser57
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:49 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerraiser57 View Post
So is Value Hobby they do not care about their customers.Bought 2=80 amp ESC and can not get them to work.They was one day out of warrenty and kick me to curb
What companies that you typically deal with provide you with coverage on out of warranty items?




FYI check with the OP for your ESC needs....he's got a bunch of them at great prices...and ships lickedy split!
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:51 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret H View Post
You've been warned.

I ordered a Crius SE flight controller board from them about 1-1/2 months ago. It took me a while to get the quad together, so I just recently used it (in the last few weeks). It wasn't working right, but I didn't know if it was the board or something I had set wrong in the programming. So, I called them up after I first used it. They told me:



So, I was left to figure it out through trial and error and finding help on the forums. I finally determined it was a bad board, sent in a support ticket, and now they are refusing to replace it because it has been over a month! They actually said, "you should have contacted us within a month"....I DID!!!!

Garret

That's disappointing to hear, they seem to have a few complaints recently. I've been dealing with them for almost 3 years now for almost everything (certainly batteries) and have been lucky to escape with no issues.

Can you file a PP or credit card dispute?
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:54 PM
Garret H's Avatar
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
That's disappointing to hear, they seem to have a few complaints recently. I've been dealing with them for almost 3 years now for almost everything (certainly batteries) and have been lucky to escape with no issues.

Can you file a PP or credit card dispute?
Thanks, I didn't think about that. I think I paid with PayPal, so I may be able to open a claim. I'm waiting to see if they reply to my second email. If I don't get anything, I will file a dispute.

Garret
Garret H is online now Find More Posts by Garret H
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:09 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
A good friend of mine and his wife always say;

Use PP backed by a credit card.

Excellent advice! Gotta love a chargeback when other means don't work.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:02 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
JimNM's Avatar
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,344 Posts
Glass houses and all- careful what gets tossed around
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:10 AM
Northiceman
northiceman's Avatar
Canada, NB, Miramichi
Joined Apr 2007
13 Posts
Good prices, good support, good value

So I now order all from China and have it shipped by EMS. Lets cut right thru all the krap like "business models" and get to the truth. The GREED in North America (Yes I mean those who PREY on us consumers) such as we see from retailers and shippers is a thing of the past - its just that some of you have not really accepted the facts yet. But your limited cash resources WILL bring you die-hards to reality sooner or later (cheaper if earlier). Last week I had an order for balsa and airplane stuff shipped from the US to Canada - it cost $87.00 for shipping on an order of $123.00 ! The customs duty was only $9.00 (tax) and brought the total cost to get it here to $87 + $9 = $96.00 For that cost I could have shipped about 10 times that amount from China. One order of $949.00 cost me $47.00 to ship via EMS to Canada. Do the math - its an 11 hour flight and much handling to ship from China. Minimum cost you say? Thats shipping BS because they ship stuff in schedules by the ton and your shipment IS NOT treated as a lonely shipment ! Its just pure GREED. So, put the GREEDY's out of business - order directly from China ! Save your bucks to buy even more - especially at the great Chinese prices.
northiceman is offline Find More Posts by northiceman
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:01 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
the prices are good, for sure. The shipping can get pricey, but then again a package is going across the world, typically by air.

The "good" support thing, I think that issue has always been up for debate, and probably will be forever. It takes very little time to see that the Nitroplanes, Banana, and HK type of business model does not put a ton of time or stock in customer service. I've always felt though that anyone in this hobby understands that when dealing with them...you get low prices due to volume. Want product info or answers to tech questions, it is probably not going to happen, and if it does, it takes a long time. Better to look on RCG and other sites for user based information rather than company sponsored info.

Now look at Tower, Hobby Lobby, and Horizon Hobby. I'd proffer the notion that they are the benchmark of overall value, support, and customer service. Very few complaints from members here or elsewhere about service before or after the purchase. With that of course comes....a higher price for product.

As for LHS, I'd hate to see them all disappear. Most are pretty good to deal with in my area, and are a fantastic resource.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:56 AM
Garret H's Avatar
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,944 Posts
I filed a PayPal dispute with Value Hobby, and two days later I received another reply from them on my support ticket. Here's the reply:

Quote:
Hi. We can offer an exchange if you send it back. Although I think it's not fair to ask that we have to help you setup your board as well considering it's a $35 board. Anyways, that's my opinion.
Here's my reply:

Quote:
Thank you for offering to exchange it. I will send it back Monday.

However, I don't feel that what I asked over the phone was unreasonable. And, I don't care how much the item costs, if you sell it you should support it. I didn't ask you to go through the entire setup process with me -- I figured that out completely on my own (considering the fact it came with NO instructions). I was having a problem with it, and never having used one, I wanted to make sure the flight characteristics I was receiving were not indicative of a programming error. I own an RC business myself and would never treat my customers in this way. By selling products that are faulty and then not offering quality support, you are not earning a good reputation on the forums.
Although they are finally offering to exchange the product, this is very poor customer service, IMO.

Garret
Garret H is online now Find More Posts by Garret H
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:56 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
34 Posts
I wouldn't do business with or recommend anyone else do business with Value Hobby.

I placed two orders with them. One for a motor & two batteries. Another for an ESC and the PC programming interface. I chose their standard shipping, which apparently is USPS, uninsured, no signature required. So, the mail carrier just leaves the packages on my porch where they're subsequently stolen by some lowlife. Through the e-mails back and forth Value Hobby basically tells me it's my fault and then accuses me of lying & trying to rip them off. They're not willing to do anything for me (not even letting me re-order the items at cost), even though they're clearly at least partially responsible for shipping without insurance and not requiring a signature (neither of which do they mention in the checkout process when picking your shipping option). Steer clear!!!

They should change their slogan to, "We're not happy until you're unhappy."
Stereodude is offline Find More Posts by Stereodude
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:09 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I wouldn't do business with or recommend anyone else do business with Value Hobby.

I placed two orders with them. One for a motor & two batteries. Another for an ESC and the PC programming interface. I chose their standard shipping, which apparently is USPS, uninsured, no signature required. So, the mail carrier just leaves the packages on my porch where they're subsequently stolen by some lowlife. Through the e-mails back and forth Value Hobby basically tells me it's my fault and then accuses me of lying & trying to rip them off. They're not willing to do anything for me (not even letting me re-order the items at cost), even though they're clearly at least partially responsible for shipping without insurance and not requiring a signature (neither of which do they mention in the checkout process when picking your shipping option). Steer clear!!!

They should change their slogan to, "We're not happy until you're unhappy."

So you made a purchase with this vendor and selected "standard" shipping. In this case, this vendor uses "priority" shipping and not ground or parcel post as many do. You got an e-mail stating it was priority, and even a tracking number, so you would have had a pretty good idea when it was coming. So it's delivered as promised, but stolen by someone.

Can you clarify exactly what this vendor did wrong up to this point? So far, nothing from what I can see.

We're not privy to all of the back and forth e-mails, so I'll assume they are calm and professional (as is theirs i would hope), however it appears you want something either discounted or at their cost because, why again?

How many other purchases have you made of this type that require a signature by the way? FYI that is an additional fee too, did you want to pay for that?

If you have any gripe, it's with the post office (at best).

Can you stop for a minute and consider how long a company would be in business if they just replaced items "stolen" of gave stuff away at cost when it had NOTHING to do with their service?
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:54 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Can you stop for a minute and consider how long a company would be in business if they just replaced items "stolen" of gave stuff away at cost when it had NOTHING to do with their service?
I think you need to recalibrate your low standards for e-tailers. A good e-tailer will replace items that are stolen. For example, if I buy something from Amazon and it was stolen from my porch they would apologize and send another one, not tell me it's my fault and accuse me of lying to them trying to rip them off.

Value Hobby chose to use the absolute cheapest shipment method possible. That method creates an inherent risk of this problem happening. They chose to ship without insurance. I didn't wave it or refuse to pay extra for it. They chose to ship without requiring a signature. I didn't refuse to pay extra for it. At no point during the checkout process was I aware that my orders were being treated in this manner. If a company chooses to cut costs and play the odds they should be willing to step and eat the cost when there's a loss to keep a customer happy.

Had I paid with a credit card instead of PayPal I could file a dispute and Value Hobby would lose because they can't show I received the item (with a signature). I paid for the item and I didn't get it. It's pretty plain and simple. In the eyes of the credit card company, the onus of getting the product into my hands ultimately falls on the vendor. Unfortunately PayPal doesn't care and only requires they show that something was "delivered" (not even caring what it is), not that I received it. So, Value Hobby gets lucky this time in the short term financially, loses a customer for life, and gains some negative publicity.
Stereodude is offline Find More Posts by Stereodude
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:02 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I think you need to recalibrate your low standards for e-tailers. A good e-tailer will replace items that are stolen. For example, if I buy something from Amazon and it was stolen from my porch they would apologize and send another one, not tell me it's my fault and accuse me of lying to them trying to rip them off.

Value Hobby chose to use the absolute cheapest shipment method possible. That method creates an inherent risk of this problem happening. They chose to ship without insurance. I didn't wave it or refuse to pay extra for it. They chose to ship without requiring a signature. I didn't refuse to pay extra for it. At no point during the checkout process was I aware that my orders were being treated in this manner. If a company chooses to cut costs and play the odds they should be willing to step and eat the cost when there's a loss to keep a happy customer.

Had I paid with a credit card instead of PayPal I could file a dispute and Value Hobby would lose because they can't show I received the item (with a signature). I paid for the item and I didn't get it. It's pretty plain and simple. In the eyes of the credit card company, the onus of getting the product into my hands ultimately falls on the vendor. Unfortunately PayPal doesn't care and only requires they show that something was "delivered" (not even caring what it is), not that I received it. So, Value Hobby gets lucky this time, loses a customer, and gains negative word of mouth.

My standards of service are calibrated, thanks. I don't expect something for nothing, and I don't rant when a company fulfills it's obligation to send something to me and someone else steals it (or when the item is out of warranty). Insurance wouldn't have done a thing here. Speaking of calibration, can you confirm how the vendor sent your item to you? Priority right? So you got a better service than you wanted. I believe you checked off "standard shipping" right, that's the cheapest available right? Typically ground or parcel post (which again, is what you wanted). Any other vendor you know of that requires signatures for this kind of order?

I understand your frustration, but it appears to be completely misplaced. I've never had to sign for something from amazon (just got two packages today ), nor value hobby, nor horizon etc etc. You are trying to blame this vendor for something that they didn't do (and normally don't), and again, for something that you didn't ask for. And the CC company would not have paid you back, just as PP correctly didn't. Any chance one of those e-mails from you mentioned anything about a complaint thread if you didn't get your items the second time?

So please confirm, this was sent to you priority mail right?
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:41 PM
Garret H's Avatar
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,944 Posts
Most "standard" shipping options do not require a signature. Even UPS and Fedex no longer require a signature unless you request it when creating the shipment. USPS charges a fee for that service. In either case, the cost would negate the standard shipping option. A vendor is not going to just let you pay the cheapest shipping option then lose money by adding special services to your budget shipping option. In fact, many of my buyers request that we send "no signature required" because they are often not home when the postal delivery person comes to their door. So, they are then tasked with the hassle of going to the PO to pick it up. Also, a large majority of buyers do not have a problem with theft, or they have an enclosed mail box on their street. If you have such as issue with theft in your area, I suggest you petition the PO to install an enclosed mailbox, or call the vendor and ask for them to include signature required at your expense. If the package is stolen off your step, I do not see how it is the vendor's fault -- they have no control over the crime rates of your neighborhood, and as I stated, requiring a signature is an extra cost that most buyers prefer not to pay for and all vendors prefer not to incur.

Garret
Garret H is online now Find More Posts by Garret H
Site Sponsor
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Beware...Value Hobby issues tuppertn Vendor Talk 31 Oct 21, 2013 10:08 PM
Careful! Buyer Beware! There is NO customer support at UH/HK/HC SteveC68 HobbyKing 53 Oct 18, 2009 09:26 PM
Discussion Horrible place to buy..... "BANANA HOBBY" kbg Vendor Talk 0 Feb 18, 2009 07:26 PM
Horrible Losi Support. Shadrack Micro Cars 4 Feb 09, 2005 01:15 PM