HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:27 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,426 Posts
Cool
Google in the 1960's..

For all those elderly computer jocks, here's what Google would have looked like in the 1960's...

http://www.masswerk.at/google60/
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:39 AM
Native American
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Nice. They needed a faster printer.
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:41 AM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,671 Posts
Looks like the connection is at 110 baud.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:49 AM
Joined Aug 2003
1,671 Posts
First call I made to another machine was at 300 bps which was also the connection speed of the first BBS I opened... You could easily read the text as it came through... I could keep up all the way to 2400 bps... The next step for my BBS was 14400 bps... U.S. Robotics was a little too proud of the 9600HST modem. Later of all my 56k modems were USR as thier prices came down to reality.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:54 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
Like it!
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:12 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,655 Posts
I remember walking passed the computer science building around finals week and it would look like a bomb went off with piles of punch cards everywhere.

Fortran was the language that was torturing them.

I had an account with a limit on CPU time to run some program that was on the main frame. I'd study my commands, read the problem, then hand write what I wanted to do at the terminal, input it, then go get the giant printout.
HELModels is offline Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:37 AM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
317 Posts
I had access to "Google " in the 60s...the encyclopedia at the library.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:44 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
That was pretty awesome. Well done hip webmaster, well done. Here's a double martini for you.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
779 Posts
I dont remember google, I do however remember Compu$erve and its 8 lines x 40 charecters text only. At 300 baud and charged by the minute. You made sure to plan ahead as to what you wanted and how to get there, get it, and get out as quick as possible.

I was nervous about being online for the longest time when I went to regular internet with its monthly fees and no restrictions to online time. Still felt that pressure to find it and gtfo.

How times have changed.

http://www.fanboy.com/2009/07/compuserve.html
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:33 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Our high school computers were Apples (pre-Mac), and college in 1985 was a mainframe with student workstations in the library. One class required us to use the system word processor and write our essays on it, with the wonderful dot-matrix printer with pin-feed strips that had to be removed.
Karl B is offline Find More Posts by Karl B
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:14 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
I does 'member it well. He, me and Snuffy went to highschool together...

Right about CIS, U'Modem. I remember that Compuserve Noobs who used Compuserve Information Manager (CIM) were known as "CIMpsons"... Doh!. In the late 1990's you couldn't even mention Internet or your (off-CIS) Website on CIS-- they were terrified that anyone could have an online site with their own content on it. They were "good for the times" but really didn't change and adapt. Let's face it, any online Forum nowadays is more than CIS was. I think that the final blow was when the communist USSR dissolved and Russia became known as the "CIS" (kidding).

Them was the days when if you had a 14.4K modem you were king of the hill....

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Last edited by Jacques Flambeau; Jan 29, 2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:47 PM
Joined Aug 2003
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
I does 'member it well. He, me and Snuffy went to highschool together...

Right about CIS, U'Modem. I remember that Compuserve Noobs who used Compuserve Information Manager (CIM) were known as "CIMpsons"... Doh!. In the late 1990's you couldn't even mention Internet or your (off-CIS) Website on CIS-- they were terrified that anyone could have an online site with their own content on it. They were "good for the times" but really didn't change and adapt. Let's face it, any online Forum nowadays is more than CIS was. I think that the final blow was when the communist USSR dissolved and Russia became known as the "CIS" (kidding).

Them was the days when if you had a 14.4K modem you were king of the hill....

--Bill
The jump from 14.4 to 28k was so fast I only bought 1 for a 4 line service... I seen the 28k in the pipe and waited... then had the joy of replacing all 4 in short order with 56ks... I remember I had a nice clean line and could get better then a 50k hook. My neighbor saw that and bought the exact same modem and was still at 40k... line quality is everything.

I had a drawer full of oboslete modems by 1996. I used to give them away to the less fortunate. I got tired of the 2400bps regulars and give them a modem I pulled to upgrade a line. It benefitted the service as the user could do his business faster and free a line. (What was I going to do with them?)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:27 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
317 Posts
I used to use my C=64 to get on to Quantumlink: a BBS later known as AOL. In my Compuserve days I got on tha Amiga SIG with a utility called Autopilot. It would rapidly download the threads you subscribed to so you could read offline. It was pricey (like $70) and the guy who wrote it complained not enough folks bought it. I was gonna tell him that he'd double his sales if he halved the price, but thought better of it.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:41 PM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl B View Post
Our high school computers were Apples (pre-Mac), and college in 1985 was a mainframe with student workstations in the library. One class required us to use the system word processor and write our essays on it, with the wonderful dot-matrix printer with pin-feed strips that had to be removed.
I still use a dot matrix for invoices OKI Microline 591-24 pin printor. Tractor feed baby!
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:12 PM
Joined Aug 2003
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness View Post
I still use a dot matrix for invoices OKI Microline 591-24 pin printor. Tractor feed baby!
Still used by auto dealers for contracts.
RCG Plus Member