HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:09 AM
Charleston, SC
Joined Nov 2007
488 Posts
The FAA spec for aircraft quailty spruce is very tight.The wood from Wicks and Aircraft Spruce is beautiful! Back many years ago I built a set of ribs for a full scale Schweizer 1-20. Towards the end if the stack, I ran out of wood. The usual suppliers were backordered at the time, so I got a bunch from Sig. Sig's wood is nice, but most of it looks like it doesn't quite make the FAA spec. I could use 1 in 4 sticks for the Schweizer. The rest went into the model wood supply. I still have a few 1/4" squares and that was proably 30 years ago!
AMBeck is offline Find More Posts by AMBeck
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:16 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jun 2004
218 Posts
Spruce

I purchased some small 48" spruce sticks from National Balsa and they were all good wood, straight, and 100% useable with quick delivery. I'll use NB again.

Bruce in Austin, Tx
Bruce1 is offline Find More Posts by Bruce1
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:39 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,703 Posts
Lots of basswood out there, but spruce seems a bit scarce. I recently got some from National Balsa. Lonestar & Balsa USA only show basswood in their catalogs. I'd recommend National or AS or Wicks.
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring