HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:20 AM
Jim in the Desert
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
Discussion
Cheapest place for Lipos? for A123s?

Hello, I need to buy some 3S and 5S Lipos, and/or 4S and 6S A123s. Individual A123 cells are fine.

These days, where is the cheapest place to buy lipos and A123s?

Thanks
Jim
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drill Sizes
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:32 PM
United States, NY, Champlain
Joined Jul 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_9 View Post
Hello, I need to buy some 3S and 5S Lipos, and/or 4S and 6S A123s. Individual A123 cells are fine.

Thanks
Jim
Hobby King- USA warehouse are the "cheapest".

Dennis
3rd Try is offline Find More Posts by 3rd Try
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:56 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,266 Posts
You're going to have to give a bit more details on requirements. By cheapest do you mean absolute cheapest even if the lowest quality? Or does quality matter? By A123 cells do you mean actual A123 Systems cells or knock offs?
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:11 PM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
You're going to have to give a bit more details on requirements. By cheapest do you mean absolute cheapest even if the lowest quality? Or does quality matter? By A123 cells do you mean actual A123 Systems cells or knock offs?
Whew, I didn't know there was different lipo quality. Can you say how one knows and when it matters? I mean, what do you get with good quality that you don't get with bad? I just need batteries to fly my trainer and maybe glider.

As for A123s I don't know. I've been gone from the hobby 5 years and that was when A123s from Dewalts were really big. If those are not still around, is there something equivalent?

Thanks!
Jim
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:37 PM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,361 Posts
There are no lithium iron phosphate cells that come anywhere near to A123 Systems 26650 cells. The K2 Energy are close, but not really worth it.

Voltman and EP Buddy, both in Ohio still have A123 2300mAh cells at a somewhat reasonable price, but not all that great.
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:42 PM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Whew, I didn't know there was different lipo quality. Can you say how one knows and when it matters? I mean, what do you get with good quality that you don't get with bad? I just need batteries to fly my trainer and maybe glider.

As for A123s I don't know. I've been gone from the hobby 5 years and that was when A123s from Dewalts were really big. If those are not still around, is there something equivalent?

Thanks!
Jim
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:59 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,266 Posts
Dewalt stopped using them a long time ago. Very very few people using them as flight packs as lipo is much cheaper and ligher weight. They are mostly just used for receiver/ignition packs in gas planes now. Genuine A123 is very hard to come by these days so they are not cheap. There really is nothing equivalent either. You can get lifepo4 prismatic cell packs from many vendors but they are not quite the same.

People will argue to no end about what lipo is better then another. If you want good customer service and reasonable price from a US company buy both your A123 and Lipo from EPBuddy. Another good US Lipo source would be ValueHobby. Also China Hobby Line is a relativly new comer and has a US warehouse and reports of customer service and quality have been good.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:28 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,003 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
Jim

I am a convert. Have had excellent results:

http://chinahobbyline.com/
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Last edited by Rich in ILM; Jan 30, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:17 PM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
Thanks everyone for the updating, and the great links. I checked prices, and chinahobbyline looks good, esp. when shipping should be cheaper and faster with the US warehouse. Thanks!
Jim
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:13 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the updating, and the great links. I checked prices, and chinahobbyline looks good, esp. when shipping should be cheaper and faster with the US warehouse. Thanks!
Jim
I believe shipping is still free?
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:18 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Try View Post
Hobby King- USA warehouse are the "cheapest".

Dennis
I agree Hobbyking.com has the best quality for your money. They have a huge stock to choose from.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...figuration.asp

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:22 AM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I agree Hobbyking.com has the best quality for your money. They have a huge stock to choose from.

Thanks, it seems like they are on a par with ChinaHobbyLine, maybe a little higher with CHL's free shipping.

Body, it's a shame that great search tool on your link does not show prices!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:10 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post

I know a large number of people who will disagree with you. But to each his own.
Last edited by grimbeaver; Jan 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:32 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,374 Posts
Quote:
I know a large number of people who will disagree with you. But to each his own.
Just relaying personal experience. I have many batteries from HK and have only had one problem that was quickly corrected. SO for me they have been the most bang for my buck.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:37 PM
Autodidact
Joined Jan 2012
261 Posts
Just ordered a 3s 4500mah from CHL..... let ya know how it goes, price ended up better than hk
TEDious is offline Find More Posts by TEDious