HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:56 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
When you run it take some pics and make a video. I think a number of us would be quite interested in seeing it too.
i thought this would be a rather common engine? the black anodised (silver trim heads/yellow heads) twins would be rarer, given how much i paid for this

anyway, i am preparing a number of engines to be started/bench run soon. except for those NIB engines
murcielago is offline Find More Posts by murcielago
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:02 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,431 Posts
I don't think there has been many people running any of the Ross engines in recent history and recorded it as a video or pics even. Way back then there was no internet, no digital cameras and the few video tape recorders around were very expeneive.

I came across one fellow who had run one a year or so ago.
Of course he has a Perry carb on his engine and it looks like he made a pretty nice muffler with dual round tube outlets for his engine.

That is another thought, is to replace the Kavan carb on yours with a Perry carb.

Ross twin (0 min 57 sec)

oops I ran across another fellow who ran one a couple of years ago.
ross .60 nitro horizontal twin test run (0 min 59 sec)
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jan 31, 2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: add more info
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:31 AM
Airplane Gearhead
Central N.Y.
Joined Jan 2005
1,132 Posts
Thanks for all the cool pics Earl...
The exh. stacks on the engine in the last vid you posted are the ones I remember my friend "Red" and I using...
We ran one of his flat twins quite a few years ago...but without the plug leads attached, it had a tendency to drop a cylinder when trying to idle. Perhaps with more run time it would have improved...
He had it installed in a Span Aero J-3 Cub...IIRC it was 1/4 scale, which was HUGE in the early 1970's...I remember the tail surfaces were constructed of alum. tubing.
proptop is offline Find More Posts by proptop
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:34 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I don't think there has been many people running any of the Ross engines in recent history and recorded it as a video or pics even. Way back then there was no internet, no digital cameras and the few video tape recorders around were very expeneive.

I came across one fellow who had run one a year or so ago.
Of course he has a Perry carb on his engine and it looks like he made a pretty nice muffler with dual round tube outlets for his engine.

That is another thought, is to replace the Kavan carb on yours with a Perry carb.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-w-dbTTUXA[/ url]

oops I ran across another fellow who ran one a couple of years ago.
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxOCYHJuWyM[/u rl]

alright.

let's hope i can upload some full hd vids (from a smartphone)
murcielago is offline Find More Posts by murcielago