HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:16 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts
Question
How do I mount mufflers on this ross twin 60?

the carb is so close to 1 of the exhaust, are there any mufflers that can still fit over the exhaust?

does anyone know the mounting dimensions of the exhaust and of the engine mounts?
murcielago is offline Find More Posts by murcielago
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:03 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murcielago View Post

the carb is so close to 1 of the exhaust, are there any mufflers that can still fit over the exhaust?

does anyone know the mounting dimensions of the exhaust and of the engine mounts?
Lou Ross did have his own made adaptors for these engines
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:02 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,143 Posts
They mostly had a pair of exhaust stacks on the engines. The exhaust stack was just a straight exhaust pointing straight down. On this particular model engine, the exhaust stack was a extrusion square or rectangular shaped tube with one end closed off and two holes drilled in the side for the mounting screws. One end was recessed or set back so the needle could clear it more. At the time the Ross engines were being made and sold, mufflers weren't being used on the model engines. You can mount a pair of mufflers using clamps around the cylinder. That was what many people did at the time too. You can also angle the carb a little so that the needle points more towards the front too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jan 29, 2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:39 AM
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
They mostly had a pair of exhaust stacks on the engines. The exhaust stack was just a straight exhaust pointing straight down. On this particular model engine, the exhaust stack was a extrusion square or rectangular shaped tube with one end closed off and two holes drilled in the side for the mounting screws. One end was recessed or set back so the needle could clear it more. At the time the Ross engines were being made and sold, mufflers weren't being used on the model engines. You can mount a pair of mufflers using clamps around the cylinder. That was what many people did at the time too. You can also angle the carb a little so that the needle points more towards the front too.
thanks for the tip
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:40 AM
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts
so the engine looks alright? as in, is there anything wrong, missing, out of place, etc?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:44 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,143 Posts
The Ross engines I have seen all used Perry carbs. I don't remember Ross engines having Webra carbs on them. Someone may have changed out the carb in the past.

They have some pics of the exhaust stacks in this thread here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1520766
Of course someone swapped the Perry carb out for a Tarno aftermarket carb in that thread too.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jan 29, 2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: add more info correct typo
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:40 AM
Airplane Gearhead
Central N.Y.
Joined Jan 2005
1,144 Posts
Looks like it's all there...
FWIW that's a Kavan carb...
A friend has several Ross twins, and a four cyl as well...the Perry carb came later...

I have one of Lou Ross's .60's (single cyl.) w/ a Perry on it, from the mid 70's...it came as plain Alum. or in black finish, just as his multi cyl. engines. (the singles were sand cast however)

The E. stacks are just (as Earl described) square alum. tube, approx. 6" long, that went straight down (or up?) and have an angled back cut at the ends, of about 45 degrees.
proptop is offline Find More Posts by proptop
Last edited by proptop; Jan 29, 2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:49 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,143 Posts
Ross Twin engine with Exhaust stacks

The exhaust stacks are these here on this flat twin. It depends on the engine as to which direction they go. Ross made the flat twins in several configurations. Since it is just a aluminum square tube, it is easy to make.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:48 AM
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts
Quote:
The exhaust stacks are these here on this flat twin. It depends on the engine as to which direction they go. Ross made the flat twins in several configurations. Since it is just a aluminum square tube, it is easy to make.
doubt it will work for mine.
the carb's needle is so close to the exhaust port, any thinner and the exhaust stacks or whatever would be useless.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:43 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,143 Posts
Well they used the same stacks on the rear exhaust engines too. There is a setback step in the front of the stack. They machine off the front portion leaving a tongue in front for the front muffler screw. Thus you have one long and one short muffler screw for each cylinder. That gives a little gap for the needle valve to clear then. Of course it isn't much room though, but it should be enough. If you make a pair of stacks, you could also angle that front part so it has some more clearance too.

You could also machine up a spacer/insert to allow you to mount the carb up a little higher too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:41 PM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,667 Posts
You could install a "fatter" O-Ring between the carb and the intake to raise or off set the carb some for clearance. Or as sort of suggested you can get a Perry Carb and it may provide more clearance. It looks like you are going to have to get somekind of custom made mufflers to do the job otherwise it is good looking engine.
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:12 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,143 Posts
more Ross engine pics

here are some more Ross engine pics.

The down exhaust, up facing rear carb version was interesting in that someone had made a special Pitts style muffler for the engine. I haven't seen another muffler on one of the engines since I saw that one either.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:15 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,143 Posts
some more Ross engine pics

I always was partial to the flat six Ross engine myself.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:16 PM
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts
Quote:
Well they used the same stacks on the rear exhaust engines too. There is a setback step in the front of the stack. They machine off the front portion leaving a tongue in front for the front muffler screw. Thus you have one long and one short muffler screw for each cylinder. That gives a little gap for the needle valve to clear then. Of course it isn't much room though, but it should be enough. If you make a pair of stacks, you could also angle that front part so it has some more clearance too.

You could also machine up a spacer/insert to allow you to mount the carb up a little higher too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip01 View Post
You could install a "fatter" O-Ring between the carb and the intake to raise or off set the carb some for clearance. Or as sort of suggested you can get a Perry Carb and it may provide more clearance. It looks like you are going to have to get somekind of custom made mufflers to do the job otherwise it is good looking engine.

i'll see if i can find mufflers for it.
if not i'll get some ear plugs and run the engine as it is.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:34 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,143 Posts
When you run it take some pics and make a video. I think a number of us would be quite interested in seeing it too.
RCG Plus Member